Free tethering

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi works for me just fine on Sprint. Haven't found anything for WiFi tethering but for USB and Bluetooth it seems to work great. For the WiFi, rooting should fix that problem.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data, opposite of what the app initially claimed.

But for the time I had it, it worked great.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data, opposite of what the app initially claimed.

But for the time I had it, it worked great.

Why wouldn't it use a lot of data? It can't magically not use any.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't it use a lot of data? It can't magically not use any.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Let me restate...

FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data FOR WHICH VERIZON CHARGED MY ACCOUNT WITH, opposite of what the app initially claimed, avoiding the data fees from your cellular network provider...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me restate...

FoxFi users beware. I used that app in conjunction with PDA Net+ and it used a crap-load of data FOR WHICH VERIZON CHARGED MY ACCOUNT WITH, opposite of what the app initially claimed, avoiding the data fees from your cellular network provider...

I don't remember where it claims to avoid data fees. You may avoid the tethering fee you have to pay your carrier but actually hiding the data usage fully? That's impossible.. It goes through their network.

Do you have a screenshot of where this claim is made?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This is from the actual page:
PdaNet+ is one of the top Android applications of all time. PdaNet+ shares the Internet access of your Android phone with your computer or tablet. PdaNet+ works on all Android phones without rooting. It also does not require a tether plan, that will save you $20/month from most carriers.
I've been using Foxfi and now PdaNet for a long time. It works well.(Wired tether, since JB update) It's tethering app, not a free data app.....If you don't have an unlimited data plan, I would be very careful.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I misinterpreted what the app was putting out.

So it avoids the tethering, or Hotspot fee on Verizon, but the data is still charged to your account.

Got it.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I misinterpreted what the app was putting out.

So it avoids the tethering, or Hotspot fee on Verizon, but the data is still charged to your account.

Got it.

Exactly. Nothing you do is going to hide data usage. In addition to that, Tethering is always going to use more data than regular use on the phone since you're loading full web-pages rather than mobile more often, and often streaming less compressed media.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember where it claims to avoid data fees. You may avoid the tethering fee you have to pay your carrier but actually hiding the data usage fully? That's impossible.. It goes through their network.

Do you have a screenshot of where this claim is made?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Correct, all these tethering apps only claim to hide that the data was tethering, not the data usage itself.

Also, keep in mind that using these apps, while legal, may violate the terms with the carrier. For example Verizon explicitly doesn't allow tethering on their unlimited data plan. If you need tethering then you would have to pay for the unlimited hotspot plan.

hapenuja.jpg

e5usy3e9.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11