12-22-2014 08:52 AM
36 12
tools
    There are many thing I don't like about Apple and iPhones, but there is no doubt that they nailed the security aspect of devices.
    05-17-2014 11:11 AM
    I'm thinking about getting this phone, but we have kids that are too good at finding phones and playing with them and this data wipe "feature" would be a massive deal breaker for at least one of us. Is there maybe an app that could lockout the phone at something like 5 attempts that would require a special unlock before giving access to the standard lock screen again? Essentially preventing the phone from making it to the magic ten count and give us the chance to properly unlock the phone.

I'm guessing too that if you don't setup a lock screen, then it won't do the ten count?
    05-18-2014 08:04 PM
    Samsung did this pretty well too with options like Face unlock and the Gear. Multi User or Guest Mode on Sammy and LG also help, you can teach them an alt unlock that takes them to a different home screen and a couple games or videos.

htc phones, judging from the commercials they never even considered the family aspect. Somebody at that brand needs to finally get married and learn something abou UI conventions...
    CannedBullets likes this.
    05-19-2014 09:42 AM
    I don't get how it would be OK for any kid to take a parents phone and have free reign without being given permission. This is like a wallet. I don't use my friends unless they say look at this and no one touches my phone.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    05-19-2014 05:11 PM
    You must not have kids, especially toddlers.

We never give the kids the phones, but unless we were to keep them on our person all day, they can get to them. Charging? Yip, they tend to find it. One of them makes a mess, you set the phone down because you need to rush over to fix whatever went wrong, and another goes and snatches up you phone to play with it. I don't want to keep arguing the point and derail the thread, but kids are sneaky and they can get in to things even when taking the best of precautions. Ours love breaking in to "toddler locked" cabinets and such. A forced data wipe is a HUGE concern for parents and others that have any chance of someone else trying to play with their phone, with or without permission.

That aside, even if kids weren't an issue, I still would prefer not to have this feature. It's not a complete deal breaker for me since I work on the road and the kids don't have much access to my phone, but still one I'd love to turn off or bypass. I'd rather something that's just a hard lock until you do a special unlock step, and maybe a data wipe option that you can trigger manually.
    dpham00 likes this.
    05-19-2014 05:25 PM
    I was doing some looking around in Play and found some lock screen apps like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...firefly.locker Looks like you disable the stock lock screen and the 3rd party is used instead. This is what I was thinking about in my earlier post. Anyone know if this would bypass the ten count even if the password is entered wrong?
    05-19-2014 09:30 PM
    You must not have kids, especially toddlers.

We never give the kids the phones, but unless we were to keep them on our person all day, they can get to them. Charging? Yip, they tend to find it. One of them makes a mess, you set the phone down because you need to rush over to fix whatever went wrong, and another goes and snatches up you phone to play with it. I don't want to keep arguing the point and derail the thread, but kids are sneaky and they can get in to things even when taking the best of precautions. Ours love breaking in to "toddler locked" cabinets and such. A forced data wipe is a HUGE concern for parents and others that have any chance of someone else trying to play with their phone, with or without permission.

That aside, even if kids weren't an issue, I still would prefer not to have this feature. It's not a complete deal breaker for me since I work on the road and the kids don't have much access to my phone, but still one I'd love to turn off or bypass. I'd rather something that's just a hard lock until you do a special unlock step, and maybe a data wipe option that you can trigger manually.
    Yeah, toddlers will get into everything . Unless you keep your eye on them all the time. And if you have two, forget it. My daughter is sneaky. She can get my phone from my pocket without me knowing it

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    05-20-2014 09:37 AM
    One option is what I've done.
    Set up Tasker to turn off your screen lock when connected to home wifi or car bluetooth etc.

Well that's the theory, haven't tested my profile yet as I'm still at work but I assume it works
    05-20-2014 10:47 AM
    I've turned it off on my Droid Maxx. You definitely can turn it off, just I can't remember how. I do know that it wasn't in the stock menu's, if that makes sense. It was under one of the Motorola ones.
    12-21-2014 10:12 AM
    I've turned it off on my Droid Maxx. You definitely can turn it off, just I can't remember how. I do know that it wasn't in the stock menu's, if that makes sense. It was under one of the Motorola ones.
    Maybe on the Droid Maxx, but the M8 doesn't have an option to turn off if you have a screen lock setup.
    12-21-2014 12:51 PM
    I know it's not quite the same, but I have my lock screen turned off, but I use AppLock and password protect all of my individual apps that have personal information associated with them. I have all my banking/wallet apps locked, email, texts, gallery, contacts, etc. I leave my game apps, flashlight, music, etc all unlocked.
    12-22-2014 08:52 AM
36 12