"10 attempts until device data is wiped" How do you get rid of that?

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So does it really wipe your device data if you fail to unlock it 10 times or is it just to scare people? Also, how do I change it so it says something else? Or so it doesn't wipe device data?

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So if someone stole a phone with a pass code on it, they could just wipe it and be set?

Posted via Android Central App

Yup.

You can't disable this.

*Edit* The ideology behind this is if someone gets hold of your phone, they can't steal any of your sensitive information, because the device data would have been deleted by the time they try to access your password 10 times.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Sends it to the email address of your choice. Evidence of the person that stole or F'd with your phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Yup.

You can't disable this.

*Edit* The ideology behind this is if someone gets hold of your phone, they can't steal any of your sensitive information, because the device data would have been deleted by the time they try to access your password 10 times.

Wow. They didn't take in account people who have children or friends who would mess with their phone.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I like and dislike this security feature. I like that all your data is wiped if your phone is lost or stolen. I dislike that whoever finds or steals your phone has a fresh new phone to call his own. There should be a feature that bricks or renders the phone unusable after it's wiped like iPhone where you need to enter your iCloud password in order to restore it. Maybe HTC can enable something similar as well.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I like and dislike this security feature. I like that all your data is wiped if your phone is lost or stolen. I dislike that whoever finds or steals your phone has a fresh new phone to call his own.

Hmm...

Availability to all your sensitive data that could inadvertently lead to credit cards, home addresses, and other valuable information being stolen? Or having to cough up a measly $150-$200 for another phone compared to the financial problems you could have had if you didn't password protect it?

I'll take the second option...

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Better yet be careful with your phone and not leaving it whereever. A smartphone is not only expensive but contains your personal information. One would think people would be more careful to not lose the phone. I have yet to lose a phone since I owned one. I'm fairly careful with it. I don't let anyone use it except my wife.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

pootyash

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have the phone locked after 10 attempts and become unlockable only after doing some kind of external verification (by phone or internet)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
1) Keep the phone away from children...
2) Get some new friends...lol...

My daughter pick pockets my phone from my pocket without my knowledge. Personally I think that you should be able to turn this feature off.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Does this setting really have to do with the phone? I am connected to my work's exchange server and they have the security settings set on that to wipe the phone after 10 attempts. When I added the Exchange account, it gave me the warning that one of the permissions it needed was to wipe the phone. So are you guys saying that the phone automatically will wipe the phone on its own and these settings are not just created by an Exchange server you may be connected to?