Glass screen protector benefit?

Jesus Janica

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a glass screen shield from bodyguardz,its really nice,the good thing is it doesn't mess with the clarity of the display at all,it looks Crystal clear,like it has nothing guarding the screen,the downside is it cost more than a the average screen shield,but its worth it,I have always used the normal screen shields the plastic ones,and I have to say,after using a glass screen shield I will never go back.I highly recommened them

Posted via Android Central App

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
What is the benefit to one of these?

Profit for the manufacturer and marketeer.
Reduced brightness, clarity, and sensitivity, and increased weight (if glass) for you.
I.o.w. screen protectors are snake oil. Waste of money.

Also do they come in matte? I really hate smudges..

Solution: regularly wash your hands and clean your screen.
If there are smudges on your window or car wind screen you clean it too, don't you?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Profit for the manufacturer and marketeer.
Reduced brightness, clarity, and sensitivity, and increased weight (if glass) for you.
I.o.w. screen protectors are snake oil. Waste of money.

Solution: regularly wash your hands and clean your screen.
If there are smudges on your window or car wind screen you clean it too, don't you?

While I don't always use them, I disagree. So you are basically saying that they don't protect the screen? That's just not true. Some are definitely better than others. No question about that. I used a glass screen protector on my Note 3 and it worked great. I could not tell it was there. Felt the same as the original screen and was just as clear. If you can tell a difference in weight you have some amazing abilities. Lol.

Bottom line to the original poster is if you are concerned about scratches and things don't hesitate to use one. The zagg glass is nice and I used another one as well that i think was Black Ice or something. Both were great. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I've always hated screen protectors but always needed them because I always manage to scratch the screens even though my phone always goes into a pocket nothing but the phone goes in.

I hate the feel of the non glass ones. Some better than others but none feel really smooth and all show smudges. Last year I switched to Glass Protectors on my M7 and GS4 and will never go back to the regular ones. On my M8 I have the ZAGG Glass Screen Protector and it's really nice. The ZAGG is even smoother than the screens natural glass and I've never had a scratch on a glass screen protector and it picks up very few smudges etc. I recommend the ZAGG and on my other phones I used the ones from Spigen which were just as good but maybe not as smooth. The glass ones I've tried also don't reduce the touch screen responsiveness at all.

I've seen other brands on Amazon that are rated really good and far cheaper, if fact I've bought a few to have as backups but haven't tried them since I have the ZAGG on right now. If money's tight I'd try one of those first maybe. While I believe you get what you pay for, with these glass protectors the cheaper ones are probably still pretty good. Who knows maybe just as good. Of the cheaper ones the back ups I bought were from Skinomi, iCarez and MobilePioneer. If money's not tight I'd just grab a ZAGG.

Also yes I know it's stupid to buy extra glass protectors or a waste of money but it's something I always do when I get a new phone. In the first month of getting a new phone I by half a dozen extra protectors and tons of cases, because I like to switch cases all the time. Plus it seems like most my friends, niece and nephew and I always get the same phones so when I get a new phone I can give them my extra accessories, saving them a few bucks.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Never used a screen protector on any smartphone in 7 years. Never had any scratches on any screen! None!
Of course I handle my sensitive high-tech gadget as it needs to be handled: carefully! With a shock-absorbing soft-shell silicone bumper case so that the screen never touches, say, a table top when upside down. And I carry it in a pocket without coins, keys, or stuff like that which can scratch the screen.

A flip cover looks nice and protects well against screen scratches too. But having to take the phone out of my pocket and flipping it open before I can answer a ringing phone takes just too much time, whence I miss the call as it slips into voicemail mode. Very inconvenient. And time consuming. Expensive too, because you have to call voicemail to get the message and then you have to call back the caller.
And flip covers, being hard-shell, do not protect against bumps, drops, and falls! Shock-absorbing soft-shell silicone bumper cases do.

Last edited:

Andrew725

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Screen protectors in general protect resale value, and provide peace of mind. Glass ones are the highest quality screen protectors you can get, as they provide an experience as close to not having one in the first place while still providing peace of mind, if that makes any sense.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Protecting the screen for resale is a big part of why I like to use them. Getting a scratch isn't a big deal to me but it does effect the resale which half the phones I buy a year I resell them. The others I give friends and still even though their getting a free phone usually less the 6 months old I like them to be looking like their brand new ya know. So I figure if your gonna use a screen protector you might as get one that feels, looks just like the devices glass screen. My only OCD with phones is smudges, fingerprints which the glass ones are great for preventing. I feel like glass ones a clearer too but I'm sure there's some non glass ones that are just as clear but even the best ones I've tried still don't feel right, like glass.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Protecting the screen for resale is a big part of why I like to use them. Getting a scratch isn't a big deal to me but it does effect the resale which half the phones I buy a year I resell them. The others I give friends and still even though their getting a free phone usually less the 6 months old I like them to be looking like their brand new ya know. So I figure if your gonna use a screen protector you might as get one that feels, looks just like the devices glass screen. My only OCD with phones is smudges, fingerprints which the glass ones are great for preventing. I feel like glass ones a clearer too but I'm sure there's some non glass ones that are just as clear but even the best ones I've tried still don't feel right, like glass.

+1

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

Piepuncher

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no need for a screen protector. As Vsweety said, they don't do much if anything for your phone. I did not use one on my one X and will not use one on the m8. My one X never got scratched and was in my pocket w my keys all the time. My case on the other hand, was beat to death and I eventually used bed liner on it.
A screen protector will not keep your screen from shattering. Imho the screen protector is a waste of money.
Look up the hardness of the glass used in your phone and you will see that it takes quite a bit to scratch the glass.
Someone stated they protect their phone for resale, if you are worried about resale, you shouldn't be wasting another $40 ona screen protector. You just lost $40 off your return

jam3s121

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I personally have never used them either, my phones were the Samsung Galaxy Fascinate (S1), Droid Razr M and now this. Both never really had scratches and the when I did use a screen protector briefly dirt just collected at the edges. But I hate looking at smudges n such, can I get a Matte tempered glass protector can't seem to find any.

Andrew725

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Someone stated they protect their phone for resale, if you are worried about resale, you shouldn't be wasting another $40 ona screen protector. You just lost $40 off your return

There are good glass screen protectors out there for $15. Would you be able to resell a phone with a huge scratch on the screen (or a visible scratch anywhere) for anywhere near a phone with a perfect screen for $15 less? Doubt it.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Never used a screen protector on any smartphone in 7 years. Never had any scratches on any screen! None!
Of course I handle my sensitive high-tech gadget as it needs to be handled: carefully! With a shock-absorbing soft-shell silicone bumper case so that the screen never touches, say, a table top when upside down. And I carry it in a pocket without coins, keys, or stuff like that which can scratch the screen.

A flip cover looks nice and protects well against screen scratches too. But having to take the phone out of my pocket and flipping it open before I can answer a ringing phone takes just too much time, whence I miss the call as it slips into voicemail mode. Very inconvenient. And time consuming. Expensive too, because you have to call voicemail to get the message and then you have to call back the caller.
And flip covers, being hard-shell, do not protect against bumps, drops, and falls! Shock-absorbing soft-shell silicone bumper cases do.

Do you honestly believe that since you've never personally scratched your screen, they don't scratch? While you may not like them, it seems ludicrous to claim that glass displays on a phone will never scratch and don't need protection.

Piepuncher

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you gone without a screen protector? Sounds to me that you haven't. I currently don't have one and my one X didn't have one and have not scratched either phone.
I'm not worried about resale, I have a job. My wife and I use our old phone's for the kids and we also donate them to friends or to our friends kids. We both upgrade every 12months or so.
My wife is an iPhone fan and while she does use a screen protector, it is probably not needed but it makes her feel better about throwing it in her purse. The protector makes her feel more secure and I'm fine w that. is it needed, probably not

Piepuncher

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Can the glass scratch, yes.... Is it easy to scratch, no.. If you are not using sand paper on the phone, carrying sand in your pocket or diamonds, you should be fine. Your keys are usually not hard enough to scratch the glass. I could scratch the glass intentionally with a hard enough material but it's not likely to happen in my pocket
If you feel better with your screen protector, so be it but it is not needed.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you gone without a screen protector? Sounds to me that you haven't. I currently don't have one and my one X didn't have one and have not scratched either phone.
I'm not worried about resale, I have a job. My wife and I use our old phone's for the kids and we also donate them to friends or to our friends kids. We both upgrade every 12months or so.
My wife is an iPhone fan and while she does use a screen protector, it is probably not needed but it makes her feel better about throwing it in her purse. The protector makes her feel more secure and I'm fine w that. is it needed, probably not

I did for the first 3 weeks on my m8 and you know what? It scratched. A very small scratch, but it happened nonetheless. I used a plastic screen protector on my m7 last year and the screen is perfect. This time around, I bought a glass screen protector for my m8 after I noticed the scratch.

To say that glass won't scratch is completely false information. That's awesome if you haven't scratched any of your displays in 7 years, seriously that's a truly amazing thing and more power to you. But to claim that screen protectors are snake oil and don't do anything just isn't true. All glass scratches.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you honestly believe that since you've never personally scratched your screen, they don't scratch?

No, I don't "believe", I know that from experience.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

While you may not like them, it seems ludicrous to claim that glass displays on a phone will never scratch and don't need protection.

Read it again. I never said "that glass displays on a phone will never scratch and don't need protection". I said that glass screens will not scratch and don't need protection IF you handle them – and the entire sensitive high-tech gadget – as they should be handled: carefully!

Any glass will eventually scratch if you try hard enough.
So DON'T!

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Can the glass scratch, yes.... Is it easy to scratch, no.. If you feel better with your screen protector, so be it but it is not needed.

It might not be needed for you, but to say it isn't for everyone else isn't true. Honestly you guys are doing something right if you don't need one and I commend you for that. You will definitely be able to protect your screen form scratches with one. End of story.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007