One touch phone call from favorites screen?

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm curious if there is a way to set up the favorites section of 'people' or contacts to default to make a phone call when you press on a favorites icon?

Thanks in advance.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes there's a way. Add your contacts to favorites and then press and hold on the contract. It will bring up a menu in which set default action will be toward the bottom. Click that and you can select call as the default action.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-21-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-21-06.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-21-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-21-09.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 32

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Skyway, but I've tried that and it isn't working. After I press set default action it brings up like email, phone number, etc. I click on the phone number and then go back and try it and it just brings up the whole contact when I press on the favorite?

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I see it is set up for default action to call, but it won't work. Perhaps it is a Verizon thing? I also don't have extreme power saver.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Skyway, but I've tried that and it isn't working. After I press set default action it brings up like email, phone number, etc. I click on the phone number and then go back and try it and it just brings up the whole contact when I press on the favorite?

You're right, it doesn't work. What I do is to use the frequent contact widgets (it's a stock widget) to my home screen and you can set the default action from there to call. It works and will add contacts based on how much you call them.

Posted via Android Central App

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm just setting the 'quick call' feature I think it is, where I set a contact to say #2 when I long press it calls their number. It works for me...I'll just have to work on my memory so I can remember 9 people's number...

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The default action will only adjust what happens when you tap the contact on the CONTACTS widget, not in the contacts APP directly. Odd, but I confirmed by creating a contacts widget and toggling the default action,.

If you designate a home screen to the Contacts widget and set your Favorites there, or otherwise create links for direct dials,. you might be able to get what you are wanting on a home screen. Odd that the default action doesn't work in the app itself though.

dlocks

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you designate a home screen to the Contacts widget and set your Favorites there, or otherwise create links for direct dials,. you might be able to get what you are wanting on a home screen. Odd that the default action doesn't work in the app itself though.

I have mine set up like this.
Create a blank home screen, add the People Widget, when the widget first opens select favorites,all your favorites should show up automatically. As you tap each favorite icon for the first time it will ask to select a default action.
Should be good to go after that.

cuteonabike

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I used a variation on this in lollipop. I created a new home page, then went to the contacts widget which has 3 separate options: full contact, phone number, or message. I moved the phone number contact widget to the new home page. When I moved it, the system asked to search for a contact, then once a contact was selected, allowed me to select one number for that contact. I repeated this procedure until the new home page was full of my favorites (16 in total). They can be re-ordered in any way just like you re-order app's on a home page. Each one is a "one touch speed dial" to whichever contact and number you selected. If you want to change either the contact, or the contact's number dialed, you just drag the icon to the trash and repeat the procedure with the newly desired contact/number. Since all my contacts have pictures, it's a great custom one-touch speed dial page.

mayteam

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Be careful what you ask for. Mine automatically dials favorites for some reason and I can't just view the contact unless I make a call, cancel it, and then hit "view contact". What a pain - can't text my favorites easily or find an address and can't figure out how to get it to just view a contact from the favorites screen. Help anyone?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Be careful what you ask for. Mine automatically dials favorites for some reason and I can't just view the contact unless I make a call, cancel it, and then hit "view contact". What a pain - can't text my favorites easily or find an address and can't figure out how to get it to just view a contact from the favorites screen. Help anyone?

Sounds like you need to check your default actions for your contacts. You can go to the contact from your people app touch the contact scroll to the bottom there it says default action for widget. There is also a way to do this from favorites. Sounds like your defaults are set to call.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC One M9

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is on version 5.0. This version doesn't have those options.

It seems odd that you wouldn't have a feature that has been present since at least FroYo...? Maybe you're looking in the wrong place is all I can think. Look at my screenshots and if yours truly doesn't appear this way post screenshots from your people app.

Attachments

• 101763.jpg
    101763.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 101764.jpg
    101764.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The only other thing that occurred to me as to why this may not work doesn't make any sense, and I don't really have time to check it out this moment would if the info was exclusively from another service like Facebook... But then it would seem that you'd have no options not some random default action like call. Or if the number was listed as a home number not a cell number, in which case the only default available would be call since you can't text a landline, which would probably be the type of contact listed as a home line. Again tho that doesn't make any sense if you also have an email address for the contact. I was also considering if the contact was comprised of several contacts, like when contacts are linked... But I can't workout how that wouldn't work either. IDK, I'll wait for your screenshots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty