06-01-2014 06:55 AM
44 12
tools
    In regards to the above quote I have slightly altered my comment- but stand by what I said.
    Thank you, those few extra lines give your opinion more weight. Did you experience any build-quality issues with the M7? Or has it held up without any visits to the shop.
    05-19-2014 08:14 AM
    I would say yes. I don't own the phone since I am broke but if I could get it at the moment.. It would be in my hands .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    05-19-2014 08:25 AM
    I would say no. Look at a phone like the LG G2. The G2 can be had for about $470, brand new, 32 GB. It has a superior camera to the M8, a larger screen, a smaller body, and the difference between the 800 in the G2 and the 801 in the M8 is, in my opinion, negligable. The speakers on the M8 are much better than on the G2, so if that is important to you, there is that. I had an M7, and while the speakers did sound great, I still didn't use them. Then there is the build. The M8 is metal, the G2 is plastic. This will matter to some, and won't to others. The G2 is a very solidly put together phone, but the plastic does feel cheaper than the metal. Finally, there is the UI. having used recent versions of Sense and LG's UI, both are fantastic and both make some additions to Android that are genuinely useful. I don't know that one is better than the other, but they do take different approaches, so you are likely to like one better than the other. I like the look of HTC's UI better, but LG's has more useful additions than HTC's. For exmaple, I love LG's multi-app approach and their IR Remote app made me stop using my Harmony.
    05-19-2014 09:29 AM
    I would add to this that if you have Verizon, the M8 is definitely worth the extra $$ considering that it's XLTE ready out of the box. Verizon supposedly flipped the switch on XLTE today.
    05-19-2014 09:49 AM
    I would add to this that if you have Verizon, the M8 is definitely worth the extra $$ considering that it's XLTE ready out of the box. Verizon supposedly flipped the switch on XLTE today.
    Most phones released in 2013 and on on Verizon support xlte.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    05-19-2014 09:56 AM
    Nope, I have AT&T not Verizon. I'd rather get an unlocked phone than a carrier version.
    As for the speakers, I'd probably use it some if I had a device with good speakers, but it's not very important to me.
    05-19-2014 10:18 AM
    Nope, I have AT&T not Verizon. I'd rather get an unlocked phone than a carrier version.
    As for the speakers, I'd probably use it some if I had a device with good speakers, but it's not very important to me.
    Does the unlocked m8 support carrier aggregation?

05-19-2014 10:30 AM
    I would say no. Look at a phone like the LG G2. The G2 can be had for about $470, brand new, 32 GB. It has a superior camera to the M8, a larger screen, a smaller body, and the difference between the 800 in the G2 and the 801 in the M8 is, in my opinion, negligable. The speakers on the M8 are much better than on the G2, so if that is important to you, there is that. I had an M7, and while the speakers did sound great, I still didn't use them. Then there is the build. The M8 is metal, the G2 is plastic. This will matter to some, and won't to others. The G2 is a very solidly put together phone, but the plastic does feel cheaper than the metal. Finally, there is the UI. having used recent versions of Sense and LG's UI, both are fantastic and both make some additions to Android that are genuinely useful. I don't know that one is better than the other, but they do take different approaches, so you are likely to like one better than the other. I like the look of HTC's UI better, but LG's has more useful additions than HTC's. For exmaple, I love LG's multi-app approach and their IR Remote app made me stop using my Harmony.
    G Flex is also $350-500 online in various conditions. It has ups and downs compared to G2, about equal or slightly inferior to G Pro 2 when all factors are considered. It has floating apps like a Note 2 and split windows like a Note 3. It has working double tap wake. Power and volume are on rear, power is also a notification LED and a photo status light. Strong flash(light) and IR blaster also on rear. I love the screen but some people cringe over 720p, and the decent camera sadly lacks the OIS found on LG's other top models.

- - - Updated - - -

G Flex is also $350-500 online in various conditions. It has ups and downs compared to G2, about equal or slightly inferior to G Pro 2 when all factors are considered. It has floating apps like a Note 2 and split windows like a Note 3. It has working double tap wake. Power and volume are on rear, power is also a notification LED and a photo status light. Strong flash(light) and IR blaster also on rear. I love the screen but some people cringe over 720p, and the decent camera sadly lacks the OIS found on LG's other top models.
    05-19-2014 11:05 AM
    I've not seen the G Flex that cheap, otherwise I'd own it! I am talking off contract pricing, not on contract. It has been more like $700 everywhere I can find it
    05-19-2014 11:49 AM
    Not for my money. Got one from Costco's Verizon kiosk and returned it in two days.
    I thought it took the worst pictures I've ever seen, useless to me. My old 4S took far better pictures right out of the box. Played with AWB, EV, etc, but pics always looked soft/washed out to me and very harsh black/white issues. Pics seemed either whited out or blacked out. Little definition in blacks/greys.
    Other issue with the M8, like a fool, I struggled to get the pictures out of the phone for a few hours only to realize I was using the USB cable provided by Costco in a bonus pack would only charge the phone, no computer could see the device. Two PC's and one MBP couldn't see the phone- my bad for not figuring this out earlier. Used the cable labeled HTC and it worked on all computers afterwards.Never seen a USB cable that didn't provide data as well as power. I've read other posts about HTC cables being an issue.

I had wanted to upgrade my 4S to an S5 but the rep talked me into the M8 dues to it's large speakers. And yes, that part is true! The M8 has the best sound I've ever heard on any cellphone I've ever used. Standalone for YouTube and music in general, it really rocks!

Think the S5 is a much better phone, but it does come with a ton of bloatware. The M8 had very minimal bloatware.

I am very happy with the S5 thus far, pictures are almost as good as those taken with my Panasonic FZ50 which is a very good camera under good lighting.

A few differences worth noting between the S5 and the M8, these may be of value or not to readers:
    -S5 is waterproof
    -S5 has a USB 3.0 connection, unlike 2.0 for the M8
    -S5 display is brighter and sharper, higher screen pixel density too. Well, hey, it is a Samsung display after all!
    -M8 Best sound I've ever heard on a phone. Large, front facing speakers (2). I'd buy the M8 if it were available as an "iTouch" if it were available for the sound quality. (Phone without the phone but having superb audio for a handheld device).

Would be great if you could try both out for a week or so as a loaner/rental and form your own opinion, that would be supreme!

Both phones are a little too large for my pocket, but my eyesight says I need a large, bright display. Both phones have loud and clear earpiece drivers. My iPhone 4S initially had great sound, but the first was replaced for free since it first started crackling, and then the second one is starting to do the same.
    05-19-2014 02:19 PM
    Thank you, those few extra lines give your opinion more weight. Did you experience any build-quality issues with the M7? Or has it held up without any visits to the shop.
    At current no, I have had no issue with the phone. Battery has remained stable (Never get less than 24 hours out of it), the back/casing of the phone is extremely scratch resistant (to my surprise), amazingly the power button has resisted being pushed in! I have not found myself to suffer from bad reception (even though that isn't dependent on the phone) and call quality and sound has remained good.

Although of course I am probably bias as I use this phone, and there could be variations from phone to phone.
    Relgoshan likes this.
    05-19-2014 06:37 PM
    -S5 display is brighter and sharper, higher screen pixel density too. Well, hey, it is a Samsung display after all!
    No, the s5's display does not have a higher pixels per inch, or pixel density (can also be called dpi, or dots per inch). The s5's display is 5.1" at a resolution of 1920x1080. The m8's display is 5" at 1920x1080.

S5 = ~432 ppi
    M8 = ~441 ppi

May be negligible, but the m8 has a higher pixel density

Posted via Android Central App
    anon(8730639) likes this.
    05-19-2014 07:45 PM
    Not for my money. Got one from Costco's Verizon kiosk and returned it in two days.
    I thought it took the worst pictures I've ever seen, useless to me. My old 4S took far better pictures right out of the box. Played with AWB, EV, etc, but pics always looked soft/washed out to me and very harsh black/white issues. Pics seemed either whited out or blacked out. Little definition in blacks/greys.
    Other issue with the M8, like a fool, I struggled to get the pictures out of the phone for a few hours only to realize I was using the USB cable provided by Costco in a bonus pack would only charge the phone, no computer could see the device. Two PC's and one MBP couldn't see the phone- my bad for not figuring this out earlier. Used the cable labeled HTC and it worked on all computers afterwards.Never seen a USB cable that didn't provide data as well as power. I've read other posts about HTC cables being an issue.

I had wanted to upgrade my 4S to an S5 but the rep talked me into the M8 dues to it's large speakers. And yes, that part is true! The M8 has the best sound I've ever heard on any cellphone I've ever used. Standalone for YouTube and music in general, it really rocks!

Think the S5 is a much better phone, but it does come with a ton of bloatware. The M8 had very minimal bloatware.

I am very happy with the S5 thus far, pictures are almost as good as those taken with my Panasonic FZ50 which is a very good camera under good lighting.

A few differences worth noting between the S5 and the M8, these may be of value or not to readers:
    -S5 is waterproof
    -S5 has a USB 3.0 connection, unlike 2.0 for the M8
    -M8 Best sound I've ever heard on a phone. Large, front facing speakers (2). I'd buy the M8 if it were available as an "iTouch" if it were available for the sound quality. (Phone without the phone but having superb audio for a handheld device).

Would be great if you could try both out for a week or so as a loaner/rental and form your own opinion, that would be supreme!

Both phones are a little too large for my pocket, but my eyesight says I need a large, bright display. Both phones have loud and clear earpiece drivers. My iPhone 4S initially had great sound, but the first was replaced for free since it first started crackling, and then the second one is starting to do the same.
    Is it even POSSIBLE to put an 80X SoC into a phone and NOT support USB 3.0??? Next yer gonna tell me I can't plug an Xbox controller directly into OTG like I do with my Flex....say it ain't so!
    05-19-2014 10:18 PM
    I've not seen the G Flex that cheap, otherwise I'd own it! I am talking off contract pricing, not on contract. It has been more like $700 everywhere I can find it
    Amazon.com: LG G FLEX LG-F340 Real Round Curved Display smart phone Factory unlocked 6" screen: Cell Phones & Accessories

BUT the caveat is international versions often have trouble with US LTE bands. Better to get a 'like new' on Swappa or a carrier-special discount on promo. Or meh. I flat out bought one.

swappa.com/buy/lg-g-flex-att/us

Blah? But it doesn't do front stereo. I mean to each their own...
    05-19-2014 10:45 PM
    Amazon.com: LG G FLEX LG-F340 Real Round Curved Display smart phone Factory unlocked 6" screen: Cell Phones & Accessories

BUT the caveat is international versions often have trouble with US LTE bands. Better to get a 'like new' on Swappa or a carrier-special discount on promo. Or meh. I flat out bought one.

swappa.com/buy/lg-g-flex-att/us

Blah? But it doesn't do front stereo. I mean to each their own...
    That's a great deal. G Flex is a solid phone.
    05-31-2014 11:36 PM
    Does the unlocked m8 support carrier aggregation?

What does that mean?
    05-31-2014 11:39 PM
    The M8 will display true whites and more accurate colors. Some say the S5's screen has better (meaning more true or accurate in this case) color than prior S* phones and that may be the case, but the green tint is still an inherent design issue. Just don't ask a sales rep about it. I suspect they are trained to say they never heard of the green tint issue, because they always act surprised when I mention it and show them a side by side comparison. Load up the Google home page on the M8 and S5 side by side and you'll quickly see how ugly the Super AMOLED can be. It's worse with lower brightness levels.

That being said, it's still a matter of personal preference. I desire accurate colors and use my phone a lot in low light situations, so an LCD screen is a must for me from the current options and the biggest reason I'm choosing the M8 for my next one. Many people like how the colors "pop" on Super AMOLED screens, so that's what they want.
    06-01-2014 05:53 AM
    What does that mean?
    Carrier aggregation on lte is the ability to use two lte bands (or two carriers within the same band) simultaneously, aggregated (combined) to get better speeds.

Sent from my Verizon Moto G
    06-01-2014 06:41 AM
    It depends on your needs. I picked up the Verizon Moto g for $70(is $50 today) , and honestly it runs smooth and display is good and gets good battery life. Is the one m8 better? Yes, without a doubt. But if you just need to browse email, Web, some light gaming , and forums then the Moto g is more than adequate. Now my moto g lacks 4GLTE, sd card, and other features that you may need, though at least for those two items, the new moto g has them

Sent from my Verizon Moto G
    06-01-2014 06:55 AM
44 12