Is the M8 Worth the Premium Over Cheaper Phones?

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The M8 is a great phone, no doubt about it, but it is much more expensive than other great phones that you can get today. At $700, is it worth the hefty price premium over other phones? The Nexus 5 is $400 and has the benefit of stock Android and still has pretty great specs, the OnePlus One is $350 and has even better specs and the benefit of CyanogenMod and extreme customization, the Oppo Find 7(s) have the same great specs and has its own great features like quick charging and the notification bar at the bottom, and even the HTC One M7 has the great aluminum build and great speakers of the M8, with the advantage of having a better camera, being smaller and easier to hold, and being $200 cheaper. Is the M8 really worth spending so much on it?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Depends how much you value the differences. I use mine for business so the extra speed and features pay for themselves.

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
This is why I'm looking at other phones also I'm looking at the g2 or waiting for the nexus 6 I have a z1s right now witch is a beast there is just a few things that bug me more than others devices that are out there. No doubt the m8 is bad *** but what has me really not sure besides price is this stupid prime rumor and the camera that to me was the biggest let down besides the thing is tall.. Bit we shall see I'm sitting on it.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
That is a matter of opinion since no one values money the same.

I'm asking for people's opinions. Of course other people can't make choices for me, but other people's opinions can help. What I'm looking for in a phone is a phone that performs well, has enough storage, takes decent pictures, and feels like a high end phone in my hand. Speakers are not the most important things to me, but if I have good speakers, I'd definitely use them. People's opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This is why I'm looking at other phones also I'm looking at the g2 or waiting for the nexus 6 I have a z1s right now witch is a beast there is just a few things that bug me more than others devices that are out there. No doubt the m8 is bad *** but what has me really not sure besides price is this stupid prime rumor and the camera that to me was the biggest let down besides the thing is tall.. Bit we shall see I'm sitting on it.

Yeah, the Prime rumors are making it difficult to buy a phone. My contract just ended and I need a new phone, but a bunch of new phones are coming out later in the year.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I definitely think it's worth it. The only thing that might make it less woth the premium price tag is probably m8 prime.

I am loving the speed on this thing. This is probably the most lag free Android experience you are gonna get any time soon.

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
In Aus, M8 is cheaper then the GS5 and the iPhone 5s. Most new flag ships are ~$800 (AUD) for any brand.

Picked M8 because it is the best phone on the market right now

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a great question. It will be answered differently by each person though. I have a Moto X and the M8. I think both are great phones and each have features that I really like. To me the biggest advantage of the M8 is the camera over the Moto X camera. Other than that the Moto X does everything that I need to do and does it really well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a great question. It will be answered differently by each person though. I have a Moto X and the M8. I think both are great phones and each have features that I really like. To me the biggest advantage of the M8 is the camera over the Moto X camera. Other than that the Moto X does everything that I need to do and does it really well.

Agreed. Just went back to my moto x and wow....I don't know why I ever put this thing down in the first place.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought my m8 on launch day, I previously had an m7. The camera is much, much better on the m8. No question about it, I don't know why you think the m7's is better. Absolutely everything is better on the m8. I 100% think it's worth every penny, it is one hell of a phone.

Also, there will be no nexus 6.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought my m8 on launch day, I previously had an m7. The camera is much, much better on the m8. No question about it, I don't know why you think the m7's is better. Absolutely everything is better on the m8. I 100% think it's worth every penny, it is one hell of a phone.

Also, there will be no nexus 6.

I agree that it's a great phone and an improvement in every way over the M7. I'm trying to find the post in this thread that said the camera on the M7 is better. Did I miss something?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it's a great phone and an improvement in every way over the M7. I'm trying to find the post in this thread that said the camera on the M7 is better. Did I miss something?

That post is wrong. I know because I currently own both devices and have used both camera's extensively, the m8's is better.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That post is wrong. I know because I currently own both devices and have used both camera's extensively, the m8's is better.

I agree but who said the M7 is better? I don't see anyone who posted that statement.

Justin Stepp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The M8 is a great phone, no doubt about it, but it is much more expensive than other great phones that you can get today. At $700, is it worth the hefty price premium over other phones? The Nexus 5 is $400 and has the benefit of stock Android and still has pretty great specs, the OnePlus One is $350 and has even better specs and the benefit of CyanogenMod and extreme customization, the Oppo Find 7(s) have the same great specs and has its own great features like quick charging and the notification bar at the bottom, and even the HTC One M7 has the great aluminum build and great speakers of the M8, with the advantage of having a better camera, being smaller and easier to hold, and being $200 cheaper. Is the M8 really worth spending so much on it?

All your reasons for better is just opinion. I think sense 6 is better than stock android and CM. The M8 is has a better experience and better hardware than all those phones. And the m8 crushes the M7.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Never mind. I reread the original post. I read it wrong. You are correct. That's silly to say the M7 camera is better.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I understand the only showing compatable device view but how come I can't see all the apps on my Evo? I thought I found an option to select the device and I did but that did not seem to work. I can't seem to find thast setting again.

Not a huge deal I guess but I would like to see all my Evo apps.

Either way thanks guys.... i:)i

The Moto X is pretty great, but the reason why I haven't considered getting it is because the X+1 is rumored to come out soon so I don't want to overpay.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well here's the deal, for me i have many songs in my library that i carry with me in my phone, and they're at 10-20 Gigabytes, and M7 didn't have an sd card which was a killer for me
Now the advantages in my opinion why the M8 is better than the M7 is the following:
1-It has a better front and back camera
2-It has an SD card slot
3-it will be supported fr the next 2 years, what HTC have claimed, which is a huge plus for me
4-Boomsound is better on the HTC M8 due no beats audio (real good amps inside)
5-Better battery life, battery life on this is just amazing..
6-Motion lunch
those are simple 6 reasons why you should pay this 200$ more

about the other devices... well depends on your needs, i love music, i love and care about the design, i adore sense UI, so HTC is the way to go for me :D!

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X is pretty great, but the reason why I haven't considered getting it is because the X+1 is rumored to come out soon so I don't want to overpay.

Moto X is $0.01 with a new contract at VZW. That's definitely not over-paying!

But out of contract, yeah I see your point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz