Is the M8 Worth the Premium Over Cheaper Phones?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
This entirely depends on what you're into. I went the HTC One M7 as a tester. I have used (not owned, used) Samsung SII, SII, S4 and S5, iPhone 4, 4s, 5 and 5s, BB Z10 and Z30, HTC Evo 3D and the MZ and my favorite is the M7.

The look and feel of the HTC One (M7, not M8) is beautiful, slick, etc- not to mention in general the phone performs well! To me the strong point to the M7 is the battery life- I am able to listen to music for about 8 hours a day (Don't ask), YouTube for a good hour, text and call consistently all day, play the odd game and actively be downloading torrents. From 04:00am to 09:00pm the battery hovers around the 47-54% mark, which I think is quite good. I have used the M8 and to be honest, I did not see any real advantage. I mean unless you're a power user with music streaming, torrents, books and 4532 other things running all at once, the M7 (HTC ONE) should suffice.

The M8 has better specs, and I have to say the Camera and Music is slightly better, but to me this is no real effect.
Both phones are good phones, with great design. I think it comes down to one thing- what phone appeals more. They will both do the same thing, both have high end specs and are, to me, very good phones. Do you want the HTC One, or M8?

Last edited:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is a great phone, no doubt about it, but it is much more expensive than other great phones that you can get today. At $700, is it worth the hefty price premium over other phones? The Nexus 5 is $400 and has the benefit of stock Android and still has pretty great specs, the OnePlus One is $350 and has even better specs and the benefit of CyanogenMod and extreme customization, the Oppo Find 7(s) have the same great specs and has its own great features like quick charging and the notification bar at the bottom, and even the HTC One M7 has the great aluminum build and great speakers of the M8, with the advantage of having a better camera, being smaller and easier to hold, and being $200 cheaper. Is the M8 really worth spending so much on it?

The M8 is a major upgrade over the M7, MAJOR. It does some things better than the Nexus 5 too, because the N5 is rather bare and part of its design was flawed. OnePlus One, couldn't say until I've gotten my hands on it. Sounds nice but worried about quality. If you keep waiting there will always be a new phone. It sucks but put your money and place a bet. Or you'll never get anything. Go in a store and play with some phones in person....

Well here's the deal, for me i have many songs in my library that i carry with me in my phone, and they're at 10-20 Gigabytes, and M7 didn't have an sd card which was a killer for me
Now the advantages in my opinion why the M8 is better than the M7 is the following:
1-It has a better front and back camera
2-It has an SD card slot
3-it will be supported fr the next 2 years, what HTC have claimed, which is a huge plus for me
4-Boomsound is better on the HTC M8 due no beats audio (real good amps inside)
5-Better battery life, battery life on this is just amazing..
6-Motion lunch
those are simple 6 reasons why you should pay this 200$ more

about the other devices... well depends on your needs, i love music, i love and care about the design, i adore sense UI, so HTC is the way to go for me :D!

About the MicroSD, htc does not have as bad a reputation as Samsung for burning cheap cards but keep an eye on this. I do sometimes wish my Flex had an official 64GB version.

This entirely depends on what you're into. I went the HTC One M7 as a tester. I have used (not owned, used) Samsung SII, SII, S4 and S5, iPhone 4, 4s, 5 and 5s, BB Z10 and Z30, HTC Evo 3D and the MZ and my favorite is the M7.

The look and feel of the HTC One (M7, not M8) is beautiful, slick, etc and the phone performs well! To me, the strong point to the M7 is the battery life. I have used the M8 and to be honest, I did not see any real advantage. I mean, unless you're a power user with music streaming, torrents, books and 4532 other things running, the M7 (HTC ONE) would benefit you. However, if you've got the money I would say it best to give the M8 a go as the specs are slightly greater!

I think it comes down to one thing- what phone appeals more. They will both do the same thing, both have high end specs. Do you want the HTC One, or M8?

Between the typos and the claim that One M7 has a good battery and is about equal to M8 in other areas...I suggest that OP should ignore this one.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is $0.01 with a new contract at VZW. That's definitely not over-paying!

But out of contract, yeah I see your point.

Who is their right mind would sign a 2 yr contract for a 1 year old phone thats about to be replaced? lol
just bustin your chops, not an attack here .... :p

My Vote: NO
M8 camera is barely better than the moto x and that's not saying much. Moto x best phone ever with the worst camera ever.
to ME, the M8 is not worth $650

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say yes. I don't own the phone since I am broke but if I could get it at the moment.. It would be in my hands :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say no. Look at a phone like the LG G2. The G2 can be had for about $470, brand new, 32 GB. It has a superior camera to the M8, a larger screen, a smaller body, and the difference between the 800 in the G2 and the 801 in the M8 is, in my opinion, negligable. The speakers on the M8 are much better than on the G2, so if that is important to you, there is that. I had an M7, and while the speakers did sound great, I still didn't use them. Then there is the build. The M8 is metal, the G2 is plastic. This will matter to some, and won't to others. The G2 is a very solidly put together phone, but the plastic does feel cheaper than the metal. Finally, there is the UI. having used recent versions of Sense and LG's UI, both are fantastic and both make some additions to Android that are genuinely useful. I don't know that one is better than the other, but they do take different approaches, so you are likely to like one better than the other. I like the look of HTC's UI better, but LG's has more useful additions than HTC's. For exmaple, I love LG's multi-app approach and their IR Remote app made me stop using my Harmony.

LionelHutz590

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I would add to this that if you have Verizon, the M8 is definitely worth the extra $$ considering that it's XLTE ready out of the box. Verizon supposedly flipped the switch on XLTE today.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would add to this that if you have Verizon, the M8 is definitely worth the extra $$ considering that it's XLTE ready out of the box. Verizon supposedly flipped the switch on XLTE today.

Most phones released in 2013 and on on Verizon support xlte.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I have AT&T not Verizon. I'd rather get an unlocked phone than a carrier version.
As for the speakers, I'd probably use it some if I had a device with good speakers, but it's not very important to me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I have AT&T not Verizon. I'd rather get an unlocked phone than a carrier version.
As for the speakers, I'd probably use it some if I had a device with good speakers, but it's not very important to me.

Does the unlocked m8 support carrier aggregation?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I would say no. Look at a phone like the LG G2. The G2 can be had for about $470, brand new, 32 GB. It has a superior camera to the M8, a larger screen, a smaller body, and the difference between the 800 in the G2 and the 801 in the M8 is, in my opinion, negligable. The speakers on the M8 are much better than on the G2, so if that is important to you, there is that. I had an M7, and while the speakers did sound great, I still didn't use them. Then there is the build. The M8 is metal, the G2 is plastic. This will matter to some, and won't to others. The G2 is a very solidly put together phone, but the plastic does feel cheaper than the metal. Finally, there is the UI. having used recent versions of Sense and LG's UI, both are fantastic and both make some additions to Android that are genuinely useful. I don't know that one is better than the other, but they do take different approaches, so you are likely to like one better than the other. I like the look of HTC's UI better, but LG's has more useful additions than HTC's. For exmaple, I love LG's multi-app approach and their IR Remote app made me stop using my Harmony.

G Flex is also $350-500 online in various conditions. It has ups and downs compared to G2, about equal or slightly inferior to G Pro 2 when all factors are considered. It has floating apps like a Note 2 and split windows like a Note 3. It has working double tap wake. Power and volume are on rear, power is also a notification LED and a photo status light. Strong flash(light) and IR blaster also on rear. I love the screen but some people cringe over 720p, and the decent camera sadly lacks the OIS found on LG's other top models.

- - - Updated - - -

G Flex is also $350-500 online in various conditions. It has ups and downs compared to G2, about equal or slightly inferior to G Pro 2 when all factors are considered. It has floating apps like a Note 2 and split windows like a Note 3. It has working double tap wake. Power and volume are on rear, power is also a notification LED and a photo status light. Strong flash(light) and IR blaster also on rear. I love the screen but some people cringe over 720p, and the decent camera sadly lacks the OIS found on LG's other top models.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've not seen the G Flex that cheap, otherwise I'd own it! I am talking off contract pricing, not on contract. It has been more like $700 everywhere I can find it

1THz

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Not for my money. Got one from Costco's Verizon kiosk and returned it in two days.
I thought it took the worst pictures I've ever seen, useless to me. My old 4S took far better pictures right out of the box. Played with AWB, EV, etc, but pics always looked soft/washed out to me and very harsh black/white issues. Pics seemed either whited out or blacked out. Little definition in blacks/greys.
Other issue with the M8, like a fool, I struggled to get the pictures out of the phone for a few hours only to realize I was using the USB cable provided by Costco in a bonus pack would only charge the phone, no computer could see the device. Two PC's and one MBP couldn't see the phone- my bad for not figuring this out earlier. Used the cable labeled HTC and it worked on all computers afterwards.Never seen a USB cable that didn't provide data as well as power. I've read other posts about HTC cables being an issue.

I had wanted to upgrade my 4S to an S5 but the rep talked me into the M8 dues to it's large speakers. And yes, that part is true! The M8 has the best sound I've ever heard on any cellphone I've ever used. Standalone for YouTube and music in general, it really rocks!

Think the S5 is a much better phone, but it does come with a ton of bloatware. The M8 had very minimal bloatware.

I am very happy with the S5 thus far, pictures are almost as good as those taken with my Panasonic FZ50 which is a very good camera under good lighting.

A few differences worth noting between the S5 and the M8, these may be of value or not to readers:
-S5 is waterproof
-S5 has a USB 3.0 connection, unlike 2.0 for the M8
-S5 display is brighter and sharper, higher screen pixel density too. Well, hey, it is a Samsung display after all!
-M8 Best sound I've ever heard on a phone. Large, front facing speakers (2). I'd buy the M8 if it were available as an "iTouch" if it were available for the sound quality. (Phone without the phone but having superb audio for a handheld device).

Would be great if you could try both out for a week or so as a loaner/rental and form your own opinion, that would be supreme!

Both phones are a little too large for my pocket, but my eyesight says I need a large, bright display. Both phones have loud and clear earpiece drivers. My iPhone 4S initially had great sound, but the first was replaced for free since it first started crackling, and then the second one is starting to do the same.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, those few extra lines give your opinion more weight. Did you experience any build-quality issues with the M7? Or has it held up without any visits to the shop.

At current no, I have had no issue with the phone. Battery has remained stable (Never get less than 24 hours out of it), the back/casing of the phone is extremely scratch resistant (to my surprise), amazingly the power button has resisted being pushed in! I have not found myself to suffer from bad reception (even though that isn't dependent on the phone) and call quality and sound has remained good.

Although of course I am probably bias as I use this phone, and there could be variations from phone to phone.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
-S5 display is brighter and sharper, higher screen pixel density too. Well, hey, it is a Samsung display after all!

No, the s5's display does not have a higher pixels per inch, or pixel density (can also be called dpi, or dots per inch). The s5's display is 5.1" at a resolution of 1920x1080. The m8's display is 5" at 1920x1080.

S5 = ~432 ppi
M8 = ~441 ppi

May be negligible, but the m8 has a higher pixel density

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not for my money. Got one from Costco's Verizon kiosk and returned it in two days.
I thought it took the worst pictures I've ever seen, useless to me. My old 4S took far better pictures right out of the box. Played with AWB, EV, etc, but pics always looked soft/washed out to me and very harsh black/white issues. Pics seemed either whited out or blacked out. Little definition in blacks/greys.
Other issue with the M8, like a fool, I struggled to get the pictures out of the phone for a few hours only to realize I was using the USB cable provided by Costco in a bonus pack would only charge the phone, no computer could see the device. Two PC's and one MBP couldn't see the phone- my bad for not figuring this out earlier. Used the cable labeled HTC and it worked on all computers afterwards.Never seen a USB cable that didn't provide data as well as power. I've read other posts about HTC cables being an issue.

I had wanted to upgrade my 4S to an S5 but the rep talked me into the M8 dues to it's large speakers. And yes, that part is true! The M8 has the best sound I've ever heard on any cellphone I've ever used. Standalone for YouTube and music in general, it really rocks!

Think the S5 is a much better phone, but it does come with a ton of bloatware. The M8 had very minimal bloatware.

I am very happy with the S5 thus far, pictures are almost as good as those taken with my Panasonic FZ50 which is a very good camera under good lighting.

A few differences worth noting between the S5 and the M8, these may be of value or not to readers:
-S5 is waterproof
-S5 has a USB 3.0 connection, unlike 2.0 for the M8
-M8 Best sound I've ever heard on a phone. Large, front facing speakers (2). I'd buy the M8 if it were available as an "iTouch" if it were available for the sound quality. (Phone without the phone but having superb audio for a handheld device).

Would be great if you could try both out for a week or so as a loaner/rental and form your own opinion, that would be supreme!

Both phones are a little too large for my pocket, but my eyesight says I need a large, bright display. Both phones have loud and clear earpiece drivers. My iPhone 4S initially had great sound, but the first was replaced for free since it first started crackling, and then the second one is starting to do the same.

Is it even POSSIBLE to put an 80X SoC into a phone and NOT support USB 3.0??? Next yer gonna tell me I can't plug an Xbox controller directly into OTG like I do with my Flex....say it ain't so!

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen the G Flex that cheap, otherwise I'd own it! I am talking off contract pricing, not on contract. It has been more like $700 everywhere I can find it

Amazon.com: LG G FLEX LG-F340 Real Round Curved Display smart phone Factory unlocked 6" screen: Cell Phones & Accessories

BUT the caveat is international versions often have trouble with US LTE bands. Better to get a 'like new' on Swappa or a carrier-special discount on promo. Or meh. I flat out bought one.

swappa.com/buy/lg-g-flex-att/us

Blah? But it doesn't do front stereo. I mean to each their own...

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke