Anyone send their phone in to HTC for replacement for a warranty issue?

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My screen has a small corner by the home screen button that looks like it's coming in glued. I contacted HTC, they said it's under warranty, and not the HTC advantage, due to screen not being broke.
They said I could get a swap for a new phone under warranty, for $29 overnight shipping. Said there is a $599 hold on a credit card until they determine if it's warranty claim.

I know it's warranty, because it's under the glass. But, since I have some pin head size marks on the case from hitting concrete, should I worry that they will say it's not warranty (even though it is) and charge me the cost of the new swapped phone?

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC One M8

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My screen has a small corner by the home screen button that looks like it's coming in glued. I contacted HTC, they said it's under warranty, and not the HTC advantage, due to screen not being broke.
They said I could get a swap for a new phone under warranty, for $29 overnight shipping. Said there is a $599 hold on a credit card until they determine if it's warranty claim.

I know it's warranty, because it's under the glass. But, since I have some pin head size marks on the case from hitting concrete, should I worry that they will say it's not warranty (even though it is) and charge me the cost of the new swapped phone?

After receiving the defective device, HTC does a diagnostic test on the device to make sure that the claimed damage is under warranty. If there is damage that exists to the device that is NOT under the warranty, whether it is related to your original problem or not, HTC will send you a quote to fix the damage to the device (that is not under warranty). From what the HTC customer representative stated (I was going the same route as you, before I switched over to the swap where I send my device in first, and then they send the new one to me), you can only review these charges, and they will be charged to your credit card account automatically, no matter what. However, if you had chosen to send your device into HTC first (and wait for them to send you a new one), they would first look over the device, and then would send you a quote for any damage to the device not under warranty. Here, you would be able to accept the quote, pay it, and have a new device sent to you, OR, you could refuse to pay the quote, and they would send the defective device back to you.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just have some pin head size marks on back if case from the first 5 minutes I had it. The screen looks perfect, except a tiny corner where the on screen buttons are. Looks like adhesive coming undone under glass. Wasn't there when I got it. Just noticed yesterday. So it should be a warranty issue.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I just have some pin head size marks on back if case from the first 5 minutes I had it. The screen looks perfect, except a tiny corner where the on screen buttons are. Looks like adhesive coming undone under glass. Wasn't there when I got it. Just noticed yesterday. So it should be a warranty issue.

Like I said, if they find anything not under warranty, they'll quote you, and you'll have to pay it.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry about the small marks, I had the same on mine, and they didn't give me any problems. I did the advanced replacement in the USA.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Their warranty only covers screen damage?

No. They have a program that will replace an accidentally broken screen once within a six month time period. However, of the phone is defective then it will be covered under warranty and you'll still have the six months free accidental damage for your screen.

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was just worried about the overnight shipping option. $29, I get a new m8, then send mine in, and if they determine its a warranty issue, they cancel the $599 pending charge on my card. if they say it is a non warranty issue ( which it isn't, screen corner looks like its coming unglued) they canjust charge my card the $599 and im screwed? that's what scares me ....

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I was just worried about the overnight shipping option. $29, I get a new m8, then send mine in, and if they determine its a warranty issue, they cancel the $599 pending charge on my card. if they say it is a non warranty issue ( which it isn't, screen corner looks like its coming unglued) they canjust charge my card the $599 and im screwed? that's what scares me ....

No.

They will only charge what it takes to fix the problem (if it is a non-warranty issue).

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I completed my chat with htc service. im going to do the $29/overnight of a new phone, and send mine back. the rep. said the pin head size marks on the back shouldn't be an issue. said the corner of the screen coming unglued/excess glue should be covered by warranty. they didnty think i'd be charged any for "repairs". just a swap.

stlrfan78

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
No clue if it's refurbished. Came in a different HTC box,from the service center. Phone only. No manuals,charger,etc. Looks like a brand new phone. Build looks very solid on this one. No defects.

Posted via Android Central App

stlrfan78

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
They told me they try to send new phones,unless the demand us high,and a refurbished one might be sent.

Posted via Android Central App

omgitsjoe

May 1, 2013
Visit site
My new m8 should be here Friday. Hope the swap goes well.

How did this go Jeff ? Hope you got a brand new one ? I felt so bad when I first saw your post about dropping the phone like seconds after your purchase !?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

stlrfan78

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
How did this go Jeff ? Hope you got a brand new one ? I felt so bad when I first saw your post about dropping the phone like seconds after your purchase !?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i recieved a phone friday, and sent mine off to htc tuesday. the replacement phone looks perfect, except i noticed a tiny 1/8-1/4 inch scratch on the center of the screen. i called, and they said i could get another replacement, as they want 100% satisfaction.
i was going to get a tempered glass screen protector for it anyway, ( on order from amazon). i was going to live with it, but i said, why not? i should get a good one im happy with.
and as far as the marks on mine , they said its not a problem, unless its a huge dent or something......
ill call em back monday after they get my old one, and everything is good, im not paying another $29 for overnight shipping, since the replacement has a tiny scratch on the screen.
it only bugs me because i can feel it when i rub a fingernail across it. . cant see it when the screen is on though.......
overall, very happy with HTC service

C_McChesney

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I know I'm a ittle late to this convo but, fyi, I git a refurbished fone.. and it didn't work well! Lots of problems.. took a couple weeks to get it fixed (kept trying to fix through sprint) and then they tried to tell me that I was out of warranty when we finally decided there was nothing that could be done.. a sprint customer rep called HTC and told them the situation... They are overnighting a new fone - no charge... hopefully this one will work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes