Why is Blink feed still using Most*battery after turned off?

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I turned off Blinkfeed from my pages. And to make sure no sync is going on I even turned off sync accounts in Blinkfeed before turning off.

For some reason it is still draining the most battery on my phone? Anyone know Hi of to fix that?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 12580.jpg
    12580.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 103

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
HTC calls their launcher Blinkfeed also, so even if you are not using the news part of the app, the rest of it is still drawing your home screens and managing your buttons. You would need to load another launcher in there to have it disappear altogether, but then you would just see something else on your list.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I turned off Blinkfeed from my pages. And to make sure no sync is going on I even turned off sync accounts in Blinkfeed before turning off.

For some reason it is still draining the most battery on my phone? Anyone know Hi of to fix that?

Well the blinkfeed application on the phone is the whole launcher. So what you're seeing there is not just because of the blinkfeed news part of the launcher, but the whole launcher itself. If you want to completely get rid of that, then you'd have to download a new launcher and then disable blinkfeed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
HTC calls their launcher Blinkfeed also, so even if you are not using the news part of the app, the rest of it is still drawing your home screens and managing your buttons. You would need to load another launcher in there to have it disappear altogether, but then you would just see something else on your list.

Thank you! This is what I read from other forums/sites as well. I am just wondering if it is possible to optimize it further?
strange why it's not called "sense" instead. Making it feel like wasted process running in background.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the biggest power hits I have ever seen from a launcher!

He is at 96 %.... It's 4 % of drain. In that 4 % the biggest drain was the Launcher.

Battery stats are pointless to look at when at high percentages... It doesn't look right since not much has taxed the battery.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
He is at 96 %.... It's 4 % of drain. In that 4 % the biggest drain was the Launcher.

Battery stats are pointless to look at when at high percentages... It doesn't look right since not much has taxed the battery.

Yep, nevermind then I failed at numbers.

robroy911

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Even if you install another launcher, Nova Launcher for example, you will still not be able to kill off the blink feed launcher entirely. At least I wasn't able to.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Even if you install another launcher, Nova Launcher for example, you will still not be able to kill off the blink feed launcher entirely. At least I wasn't able to.

You can disable it. Which basically is killing it off. But you need another launcher installed otherwise you're screwed. Lol

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Can't disable it on my device. The disable button is greyed out. Unless there is another way?

Whoops I'm sorry. Thought you could. There was another thread where someone disabled it with titanium backup and didn't have another launcher installed. I forgot he was rooted, I was thinking he did it from the settings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Whoops I'm sorry. Thought you could. There was another thread where someone disabled it with titanium backup and didn't have another launcher installed. I forgot he was rooted, I was thinking he did it from the settings.

Well yeah he had root. Root can do whatever :).

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, folks messing around in root can break some really important stuff in record time. That's why they do not want us to have it.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

i wonder how much difference it makes in power usage.
if blinkfeed = sense that has system optimization / power saving functions, then it's probably not a good idea to disable it.
But from what i see now, it appears just like something unnecessary running in the background

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
btw guys,

DO NOT uninstall blinkfeed updates

I tried that and all my page setup is reset to factory default... had to customize everything again
eventually blinkfeed would update by itself back to the latest version (without an option to stop it)

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
i wonder how much difference it makes in power usage.
if blinkfeed = sense that has system optimization / power saving functions, then it's probably not a good idea to disable it.
But from what i see now, it appears just like something unnecessary running in the background

Blinkfeed is not sense. Blinkfeed is just a launcher like any other. Even "stock android" whether it be googles version, which uses the Google launcher, or a CM version, which uses trebuchet launcher, a launcher is still a launcher. HTC could have chosen to use nova launcher as their "stock" launcher and the skin HTC uses can still be called sense.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Blinkfeed is not sense. Blinkfeed is just a launcher like any other. Even "stock android" whether it be googles version, which uses the Google launcher, or a CM version, which uses trebuchet launcher, a launcher is still a launcher. HTC could have chosen to use nova launcher as their "stock" launcher and the skin HTC uses can still be called sense.

anyway to compare the power consumption between blinkfeed launcher and nova launcher?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
anyway to compare the power consumption between blinkfeed launcher and nova launcher?

If you want, you can just download nova and set that as your default launcher and see. Any other launchers pretty much become disabled once another launcher is selected as default. If you want proof of that, just use nova(or any other launcher) for a day or two, then go back to blinkfeed and it will have to load back up all its settings, home screens, widgets, etc. Which means it was forced out of memory and shouldn't be consuming any power.

jacquesdupontd

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So you guys are wrong, i have my HTC one M8 for 4 days now and i was also wondering why blinkfeed was still using power even if "disabled". You say it is part of the launcher (i'm resuming) and that it has to be running. That's not the case, because when i see that blinkfeed used power, i can then KILL the process, without loosing anything in my Launcher (nothing changes but yes it reloads), and when i'll check later, it will not appear in the process that used a lot of battery. How can you explain that ? why is killing it stopping that heavy usage and putting it back into a normal state and what could be done about it ? I'm of course rooted and on ViperOne M8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC