Verizon HTC One M8 (or all?) - Wifi Dropping and immediately reconnecting randomly while screen on

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, just had a random thought. Could it be possible that your router can only have a certain number of connections at once? I know some routers limit the active number of wireless connections, so if you have 7 phones on there it may be part of the problem (if there's 5-6 total devices on the wifi).

Just another idea, I know modern routers tend to have either no limit or a higher limit. My old router has a limit of 4.

That is indeed a good thought. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the problem. I know that this particular router can not have any more than four wire connections, because I have tried connecting an additional switch with additional wired connections to it. This phone swapped out an iPhone so technically there are no more wireless devices on my network than there were before I got this phone. Dhcp lease is only 24 hours so it's not like the pool is full either.

I'm thinking it HAS to have something to do with the actual wireless transmitter settings on the dlink. I am using the linksys wireless g router as a n access point only, the routing is still being accomplished by the dlink, and this is currently the longest I have been able to use this phone without it dropping my WiFi since I got the replacement.

The dlink i believe is a ddwrt capable router, maybe it's time to try that

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems the D-Link wireless settings is my home issue. I havent had one drop since i powered up my Linksys Wireless G access point and connected to that instead of the d-link AP. Speeds are a little slower but the connection is steady and not dropping so I dont care. Routing is still being done through the D-link.

I am going to continue to run it through that access point for another day, and I guess I am going to have to re-evaluate the settings on the D-Link. I have messed with pretty much all the wireless settings on it so I am really confused. I think the only thing I didnt mess with was the mode, it has always been G and N capable I wonder what would happen if i switched it to just wireless G or just wireless N. Maybe I'll try that again.

Trying to keep a log in case others get an issue like this, so I will continue posting until the issue is completely cleared and a determination is made on the root cause.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It could be that your phone's wireless n function is the problem, see if it works steadily on other g networks or if it can run smoothly on wireless n networks with clean settings.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Wifi on my device will not hold. It will randomly disconnect and a second later reconnect to my network. but, it's not just my network. It has done this to me on THREE different networks (out of three total that I have connected it to since I got it) with seemingly no change.

Troubleshooting:
I have messed with all wireless settings on this phone. I have given my phone a static IP. I have downloaded wifi fixer apps, I have changed the channel of my wireless broadcast multiple times. tried on different wireless networks. My last unsuccessful step was returning the phone to HTC and receiving a new one thinking maybe just my phone was defective. That was a no go either.
I have reset the phone to factory and run it with only stock apps, nothing seems to work.

Has ANYONE with this phone experienced a similar problem? If this has happened on two devices and multiple networks for me then I cannot possibly be the only one with an M8 having this issue.

Like many other m8 users I haven't had any problem. From reading some of your recent posts it sounds like you think the router may be the issue. Your router's ability to keep a connection to your modem could also potentially be the issue. What modem are you using at home? I used to use a old Motorola Surfboard modem, and occasionally there would be times where it would loose connection which required turning off the modem and router for a few minutes. After I bought and installed a Zoom 5341J modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 I've never had the problem again. Its not necessarily related to the problem you're having, but if you don't have a modem that supports DOCSIS 3.0 you should probably look into getting one.

Some people using the full amount of password characters on WPA2 have reported disconnects, but it sounds like you've already eliminated that as the possible issue.

As far as troubleshooting your phone to router connection (since you don't report any other devices having the problem) and to fix it with the issue occurring at other locations where you don't have control of the modem/routers try the following (it is for troubleshooting the original One (m7), but may work for you too.

Disconnect from the home network.
From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
Tap Settings,
Tap Wi-Fi.
Tap Wireless network.
Tap DISCONNECT.
Rename the Wi-Fi Direct device name:
Navigate to Settings.
Tap Wi-Fi
Tap Menu.
Tap Wi-Fi.
Tap Direct.
Tap Menu.
Tap Rename device.
Change the name to any simple word, removing all special characters (including underscores).

Note: For some routers, you may need to change the name to be four letters or less. (try m8 since it is only two simple characters).

Turn Wi-Fi off and back on, and test for re-occurrence of issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital