Most *beautiful* apps

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What are some of your favorite apps based on the aesthetics or beauty of them? I'm not referring to your "favorite" apps, or "most useful", or "most fun". I'm talking about the best looking, smoothest, and most well-designed apps. Everything flows smoothly, looks pleasing to the eye, and has efficient design and navigation.

I know: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But still, we all have apps that just make us smile or wow us when we use them. You know, "form over function" and all that.

(Note: I'm not including launchers since those can be made to look pretty much however you want them to look. Nova Prime is my preference fwiw.)

Some of the ones high on my list would include (and I know I'll forget some):
  • 1Weather
  • Textra
  • Blinkfeed (if one considers this an app)
  • Android Central App (not just because I'm here)
  • ebay (seriously...ebay looks great and runs very smoothly)
  • Geico (yep, I'm serious)
  • Google Now
  • Google Keep
  • Muzei
  • Yahoo! News Digest
  • Pocket
  • theScore
  • Timely

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Blinkfeed technically is a launcher, but I know you're talking about the news feed.

For me:
Textra
Hello SMS
Google now (one of my favorites too)
Google keep (also another favorite)
Timely (forgot to download that on my m8!)
Google translate
Spotify (new update is much nicer)
Shazam
Google Wallet
Gmail (not great looking but to me the best looking/cleanest looking email app)

theScore has definitely gotten much cleaner and sleeker with its updates. Still sort of clunky though. Especially the drop down menus. But my go to sports app definitely!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Blinkfeed technically is a launcher, but I know you're talking about the news feed.

For me:
Textra
Hello SMS
Google now (one of my favorites too)
Google keep (also another favorite)
Timely (forgot to download that on my m8!)
Google translate
Spotify (new update is much nicer)
Shazam
Google Wallet
Gmail (not great looking but to me the best looking/cleanest looking email app)

theScore has definitely gotten much cleaner and sleeker with its updates. Still sort of clunky though. Especially the drop down menus. But my go to sports app definitely!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Agreed on theScore. It has come a LONG way, and ESPN is just too busy, with too much multimedia and garbage, imho.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Aesthetically pleasing you say?

- 2048 Pro; Very clean design, no ads or annoying settings- just open and go!
- 3G Watchdog Pro; A compact assort of info (of which can be adjusted). I like the flat design of the tables but wish the text and bars at the top were more...metro.
- All-In-One Toolbox Pro; She be getting there. They've done the Memory Boost UI overhaul and I hope to see this to their main application soon.
- AutoSMS Pro- Basic design (although, a tad childlike in their UI), is very basic and well designed...well looking at it. Once you get into the app it can get messy.
- AutoMateIt Pro- Their new UI overhaul is simply marvelous! Very flat and minimal, I don't think I can say much about this besides wow.
- Feedly. Just use the [language] app!
- Kik; I still think there needs to be a metro change to this, but a ddecent UI
- ESET AV; Hands down, this company always make an awesome UI
- My Budget Book Pro- This has to be the best app for its kind, with the best UI!
- Speedtest; The official app has the best UI of any of its competitors
- Vuze: This app has a nice UI and I have note noted any ads!
- Wolfram Alpha: Minimalism? No. Good UI? Arguable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikepmcdaniel

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Love theScore and Pocket.

Drop down menus on Score get a little messed up sometimes and it won't always refresh, but it SMASHES espn's app. So much better.

Yahoo weather looks amazing. I add cities just to look at the pictures... I don't even care about the weather, but the app is incredible to look at.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Timely....hands down...fonts layout, animations, scale, proportions, everything...sometimes I just stare at it.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Aesthetically pleasing you say?

- 2048 Pro; Very clean design, no ads or annoying settings- just open and go!
- 3G Watchdog Pro; A compact assort of info (of which can be adjusted). I like the flat design of the tables but wish the text and bars at the top were more...metro.
- All-In-One Toolbox Pro; She be getting there. They've done the Memory Boost UI overhaul and I hope to see this to their main application soon.
- AutoSMS Pro- Basic design (although, a tad childlike in their UI), is very basic and well designed...well looking at it. Once you get into the app it can get messy.
- AutoMateIt Pro- Their new UI overhaul is simply marvelous! Very flat and minimal, I don't think I can say much about this besides wow.
- Feedly. Just use the [language] app!
- Kik; I still think there needs to be a metro change to this, but a ddecent UI
- ESET AV; Hands down, this company always make an awesome UI
- My Budget Book Pro- This has to be the best app for its kind, with the best UI!
- Speedtest; The official app has the best UI of any of its competitors
- Vuze: This app has a nice UI and I have note noted any ads!
- Wolfram Alpha: Minimalism? No. Good UI? Arguable.

Interesting collection! ��

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Love theScore and Pocket.

Drop down menus on Score get a little messed up sometimes and it won't always refresh, but it SMASHES espn's app. So much better.

Yahoo weather looks amazing. I add cities just to look at the pictures... I don't even care about the weather, but the app is incredible to look at.

Agreed it's nice to look at, but I still prefer the appearance and functionality of 1Weather. One thing that makes it so beautiful is that it's all self contained. It doesn't take you out to another web site, so everything looks and feels the same everywhere within the app. And it has all the info I need within its own walls.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Aesthetically, I love what Sony has done with their native Albums and Walkman apps. If speaking beauty of function I vote for Kicka**torrents simply because they pulled it off Play Store but I have a backup :p

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never paid close attention to the aesthetics of an app but now that I think about it, if there are two apps that do the same thing I definitely choose the prettier app. Thanks for all the good references!

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Aesthetically, I love what Sony has done with their native Albums and Walkman apps. If speaking beauty of function I vote for Kicka**torrents simply because they pulled it off Play Store but I have a backup :p

Would you be willing to send me that app? I have a lame version that has a bunch of ads that I found on the play store.

Thanks!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Textra does not look better than the stock texting app...no way

Posted via Android Central App

I really do like the native messaging app on the M8 and actually used it exclusively up until about a month ago when I switched to Textra. For a third party app, I really like its clean and functional appearance...not to mention its features.

SmartphoneNerd

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I really do like the native messaging app on the M8 and actually used it exclusively up until about a month ago when I switched to Textra. For a third party app, I really like its clean and functional appearance...not to mention its features.

It's a great app... Just doesn't look better... This is the longest I've ever used the stock messaging app... It's usually the first thing I download.

Posted via Android Central App