HTC one M8 - horrible design

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I was really looking forward to this phone coming out as I liked the design of the original. I have a note 2 but I am really starting to dislike the plastic design. The dilemma I have is that I love the metal design of the iphone but I don't like the restrictive operating system, the price and the lack of expandable storage. So I figured that the perfect phone would be the new htc one m8 as it has a metal design, is android and has expandable storage (unlike the original htc one)

However when it was released I was so disappointed in the design of it. Why is the phone so long?? And worse still is that it has way too much bezel, particularly at the bottom. The speakers at the bottom together with that stupid black bit which has htc on it means that there is so much wasted screen space.

I think the original htc has a much better design and is about the right size but is let down by the lack of expandable storage.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Some like it and some don't. If you don't like it look for something else. Seeing your opinion I would take a look at the LG G3 that coming out soon. It looks like a really nice phone with the metal design, small bezel and awesome screen. There are leaked pics online now where you can see it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Well, If you don't like the M8, I suggest checking out some of the other great phones already out or the ones coming out in the very near future. Personally, I think the M8 is a great phone.

Posted with my CleanROM M8

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Plenty of good phones out now to choose from with even more coming soon. Unfortunately there is almost always going to be something "wrong" with every phone. You just have to find what works best for you.

Sent from my HTC One M8

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
This has been covered by several other threads, but the reason they had to make the phone so long was to accomodate everything they have inside. To have the fantastic-sounding speakers, they need more room. That HTC bar below the screen is just covering internals that couldn't be placed under the screen itself. Nothing on the device is wasted space. The phone is as small as it possibly can be given the internal components.

But if you don't like the design of the device, I will say that you are in the minority. Sorry to hear this phone doesn't cut it for you, hopefully you can find one that does :)

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't judge a phone 100% on appearance. How it performs & sounds gets more merit.
Silly post.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I come from a time when cell phones was carried in briefcases and then the Motorola "gray brick', so on and so on. I welcome and appreciate the designs of today. Watching the cell/smartphone industry grow both in design and technology has been a pleasure. With ALL the current and upcoming models I'm sure there will be something you like sooner or later....Just get what you like, but make sure your going to like it for the life of your contract.....SMILE.

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
This has been covered by several other threads, but the reason they had to make the phone so long was to accomodate everything they have inside. To have the fantastic-sounding speakers, they need more room. That HTC bar below the screen is just covering internals that couldn't be placed under the screen itself. Nothing on the device is wasted space. The phone is as small as it possibly can be given the internal components.

But if you don't like the design of the device, I will say that you are in the minority. Sorry to hear this phone doesn't cut it for you, hopefully you can find one that does :)

I'm sure that they could have put in all those specs and still have small bezels. LG have seemingly managed to do it with the G3. Also, I don't really see the point in having the speakers were they are. It may give a better sound but who uses their phone in this way? If I want to listen to music on my phone, I put earphones in as I would imagine most people do.

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Some like it and some don't. If you don't like it look for something else. Seeing your opinion I would take a look at the LG G3 that coming out soon. It looks like a really nice phone with the metal design, small bezel and awesome screen. There are leaked pics online now where you can see it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have been monitoring the LG G3 leaks for some time now and did have my heart set on it as I loved the G2 (apart from the lack of expandable storage) However, recent spec leaks has suggested that there will be no micro sd slot. This is essential for me so would be a deal breaker if true. I also don't like the rumoured size of the phone. I have a note 2 and have grown tired of its size and it feeling like a brick in my pocket and it would appear that the G3 is going to be the same size which is hugely disappointing. I don't understand why they are making it bigger than the G2, the size of which was just about right. It seems that each pho e has something majorly wrong with it which is putting me off.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure that they could have put in all those specs and still have small bezels. LG have seemingly managed to do it with the G3. Also, I don't really see the point in having the speakers were they are. It may give a better sound but who uses their phone in this way? If I want to listen to music on my phone, I put earphones in as I would imagine most people do.

This is clearly not the phone for you.

But that doesn't mean HTC designed it poorly, since the one thing most people like about the phone is the design, and you're definitely in the minority if you don't like the design. The speakers in the front of the phone is a great idea for people to show others a video or watch a movie or any other thing that someone wants to do. If it's not your preference, that's fine. This is definitely not the phone for you :)

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
This is clearly not the phone for you.

But that doesn't mean HTC designed it poorly, since the one thing most people like about the phone is the design, and you're definitely in the minority if you don't like the design. The speakers in the front of the phone is a great idea for people to show others a video or watch a movie or any other thing that someone wants to do. If it's not your preference, that's fine. This is definitely not the phone for you :)

Im sure it's a good phone in terms of what it can do and it's performance etc and if the G3 doesn't have expandable storage, it may be back under consideration. I'm just disappointed with it's design and also the colour options. I was hoping that they would be doing it in black. I think that grey colour looks poo.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

If you look at comparison pictures, the bottom bezel on the G2 is actually slightly bigger than the black bar on the M8, and the leaks of the G3 so far don't make it out to be any smaller. If you took out all the space the speakers occupy, the M8 would actually be the smallest flagship since the Moto X, and then it would be down to a 4.7" vs 5" screen difference. Almost half of the speaker's area is literally unusable, because that's where they actually are. The rest of the top bar is occupied with the notification light, sensors, and camera. The bottom has the microphone, micro USB port, and headphone jack. They need that black bar, because there really is no room for anything else. It's not that LG can shrink their bezel down to nothing, it's that they specifically design their screens to need as little bezel and be as thin as possible in the first place. As far as I know, HTC's been using tweaked versions of the same display technology from the DNA. That's not a bad thing since it's pretty much always been one of the best screens, and gets better with each iteration, but they're still dealing with the technical constraints of how much room the display still needs.

It's not so much just music, but that there is really no usage advantage for a consumer whatsoever to having speakers on the rear. If they put stereo speakers on the rear, then they'd have to have a third on the front for calls anyway. If you have the phone sitting on a desk face up, then the sound of everything that's not a call using the earpiece is distorted. If you have it face down, then you have to flip the phone over to actually see or use anything. No one watches a movie on their phone with the speakers facing them instead of the screen. Rear speakers just aren't practical. Bottom speakers like the G2, Nexus 5, iPhone and such, are better, but not by much. Understanding how sound waves work, unless you are actually pointing the bottom of the phone at yourself, you'll never be getting the sound directly; you'd always be getting a reflection of the wavefronts. Stereo speakers purely on the bottom are too close together to really make a difference, and if you had a speaker on the bottom and one on top then you'd be sending sound waves in completely opposite directions. I'm rather interested in how weird a device that did that might sound. Front facing speakers have the least amount of tampering due to the environment in most cases. I don't watch movies on my mobile devices. You might not either. But since Netflix has over 50 million installs, I'm pretty sure there are a large number of people who do, and any speaker set-up that isn't front facing is sub-optimal. HTC choose the speakers to be in that position, because it's the most practical. And they aren't the only ones, Sony's starting to use front facing too.

Personally, I prefer to listen to music with headphones, because I have a really nice pair, and it's more personal you could say, but I wear headphones like at least six hours a day, so there are times when I'd rather use speakers, because I'm rather fatigued. It is those times that I always use my M8 over my Nexus 7 to listen to music. I'd rather use my phone to listen to music then have to leave my tablet face down and flip it over anytime I want to change the song. As an added bonus, since the Dot View case doesn't let the phone lay flat when the flap is flipped to the back (ugh), it actually acts like a kickstand ((yay!) still not as good as a dedicated kickstand)), so I can actually leave it on a table and have the sound still somewhat directed towards me. But that's just me though.

Last edited:

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
while I wish it weren't as tall (long) I love everything about the phone, and the speakers are just phenomenal

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
No phone will please everyone.

The height of the phone doesn't bother me. I like that the bottom is higher, as it's less reach for my thumb to hit the navigation buttons.

To each their own.

spetzie5

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I must be one of the few people who really like the look of this phone. I think the height is comfortable and doesn't make the phone look or feel unsightly (and this is coming from someone with small hands)

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Why do so many people fail to realize the myriad ways that sound can be enjoyed from this besides "music"? There are many, many ways in which we use and enjoy sound that do not involve listening to music or using headphones.

Sure, for pure musical enjoyment, good headphones are the way to go. Otherwise, open your mind and recognize all the other settings in which these great speakers can really shine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

F8ker8

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Why do so many people fail to realize the myriad ways that sound can be enjoyed from this besides "music"? There are many, many ways in which we use and enjoy sound that do not involve listening to music or using headphones.

Sure, for pure musical enjoyment, good headphones are the way to go. Otherwise, open your mind and recognize all the other settings in which these great speakers can really shine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree...

Posted via Android Central App

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
=goobs10;3669713Also, I don't really see the point in having the speakers were they are. It may give a better sound but who uses their phone in this way? If I want to listen to music on my phone, I put earphones in as I would imagine most people do.

I use the speakers, I love them where they are so the M8 is great for me.
Everyone has different requirements for their phone and what you see as pointless others see as essential.
I wish you luck with your search for your next phone but safe to say it's not the M8.