Google Now Launcher on M8 Never Remembers Default Launcher

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I installed the google launcher on to my HTC One M8 (T-mobile) and have issues with my device remembering it as the default launcher. Anytime I open another app and have used it for more than a few seconds, then tap my Home button, it will prompt me to select from Blink Feed or Google Now Launcher. Even though every single time I check the ALWAYS button to always use google launcher. I have tried setting blink feed back as the default launcher and it does remember that one perfectly every time. I then manually go to setting>Personalize>Home Screen and select Google Now Launcher, then click OK and it loads my home screen with google launcher. Then going back to any other app, it will reproduce my issue or not remembering Google launcher as the default home screen.

Any help on this? I have reinstalled Google launcher and no luck.

Thank you!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I installed the google launcher on to my HTC One M8 (T-mobile) and have issues with my device remembering it as the default launcher. Anytime I open another app and have used it for more than a few seconds, then tap my Home button, it will prompt me to select from Blink Feed or Google Now Launcher. Even though every single time I check the ALWAYS button to always use google launcher. I have tried setting blink feed back as the default launcher and it does remember that one perfectly every time. I then manually go to setting>Personalize>Home Screen and select Google Now Launcher, then click OK and it loads my home screen with google launcher. Then going back to any other app, it will reproduce my issue or not remembering Google launcher as the default home screen.

Any help on this? I have reinstalled Google launcher and no luck.

Thank you!

Can you disable the Blinkfeed launcher in Settings>Apps?

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
It just did it again, meaning the device (M8) asked me which launcher to use when I pressed the home button. I just selected Google Now Launcher again as the default and clicked "Always", in hopes that having cleared everything under "HTC Blink Feed" and uninstalled updates, etc., etc., that it will remember the GNL as the default launcher. I also went under Settings>Personalize>Home Screen and selected the GNL again as the default. Will report back again after a couple hours if this resolved it finally or not.

One side note: by uninstalling updates, disabling notifications, cleared defaults and cache under the HTC Blink Feed app, it has made it so that I cannot customize the apps that appear on the lock screen. I had set my apps that I wanted to appear on the lock screen for the quick launching ability of Sense 6, but apparently that is a portion of Blink Feed. So my customization is gone and only the default apps will appear there now, those being (Phone, Contacts, Messages, Internet browser). This is not a concern to me, just mentioning it.

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
And crap...it just asked me again what launcher to use. So everything thus far has not worked.
Any other suggestions or tips to help my silly M8 remember the default launcher?

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Is the Google Now Launcher an actual application, or did you download it through other means?
It is not an approved app for the M8, it says incompatible with the device, when you try to grab it from the google store. Now if you grab it from another source, such as this site on another thread, it will work as long as you have the developer option enabled to "allow installations from unknown sources".

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
And crap...it just asked me again what launcher to use. So everything thus far has not worked.
Any other suggestions or tips to help my silly M8 remember the default launcher?

Kind of dumb, but rooting and installing it then removing blinkfeed would work. Probably not what you want to do, though.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Did you try to download it from another source other than the one you got it from? There are several knockoffs too. Epic launcher actually worked for me. I think it is about 4 bucks for the prime version. If you want to go that route.

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Kind of dumb, but rooting and installing it then removing blinkfeed would work. Probably not what you want to do, though.
Thank you dty06! I actually want to root it...but is a business phone and just got it about a month ago...not too sure my company would appreciate me killing the warranty on it :-\

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Did you try to download it from another source other than the one you got it from? There are several knockoffs too. Epic launcher actually worked for me. I think it is about 4 bucks for the prime version. If you want to go that route.
I have tried the Google Now Launcher from 3 different sources, all showed the same version of the launcher, but all acted the same way. My conclusion there was that all 3 sources had the identical code for the google now launcher, and therefore I had the same results when installing them.

I have not tried another launcher...well I did, Nova Launcher, but did not like it. I really like the voice activated features of the google now launcher "ok google" from any home screen will initiate it. But I suppose I will have to get away from it and just deal with having to launch google now manually, then saying "ok google" to get to the voice commands. *sigh*

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have tried the Google Now Launcher from 3 different sources, all showed the same version of the launcher, but all acted the same way. My conclusion there was that all 3 sources had the identical code for the google now launcher, and therefore I had the same results when installing them.

I have not tried another launcher...well I did, Nova Launcher, but did not like it. I really like the voice activated features of the google now launcher "ok google" from any home screen will initiate it. But I suppose I will have to get away from it and just deal with having to launch google now manually, then saying "ok google" to get to the voice commands. *sigh*

Just think of it this way: it's better than Siri! :p

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
That is a fact! So much more support than siri, can create nicknames for my contacts and just say "ok Google. Message my brother with 'you suck at life' send" and never touched my phone! I love Google now launcher! If only it would be remembered as my default launcher :(

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I just tested the Epic Launcher, looked nice with the customizations it can do...but the same issue happened after I set it as my default launcher...my phone still asked me what launcher to use when I clicked the home button.

Although...I think I might have just stumbled across something that was causing my issue. I had a game called "Abstract Games" (Link to it on Google Play) which I noticed was appearing under my Home Screen options (Settings>Personalize>Home Screen), which clearly is not something a game should be doing. I uninstalled the app, and thus far the device is remembering my selection for my default launcher!! I just wrote to the developer to inform them...but pretty poor programming for them to include coding to be a home screen launcher!

Again, will report back if this does not solve the issue, or if after a day or so the issue does not return and in which case I will conclude that app was the cause all along.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I hope it works out for you neurotico. Of all the Google Now like launchers that are out there, I found Epic to be the Best. Personally though, I always go back to Apex. In my view, it is great with all the customization one can do. I know Nova is on par with it, you can do just as much with Nova as you can with Apex. I just like Apex better. Now the customer service at Apex, is an entirely different story. It's downright dreadful.

That is an odd little bug, you mentioned with the Abstract games appearing where it ought not to be. Did you get the full version of Epic?

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I hope it works out for you neurotico. Of all the Google Now like launchers that are out there, I found Epic to be the Best. Personally though, I always go back to Apex. In my view, it is great with all the customization one can do. I know Nova is on par with it, you can do just as much with Nova as you can with Apex. I just like Apex better. Now the customer service at Apex, is an entirely different story. It's downright dreadful.

That is an odd little bug, you mentioned with the Abstract games appearing where it ought not to be. Did you get the full version of Epic?
No, I got the free version of Epic. But if I had to use an alternate one other than google now launcher, I would likely go with Epic. Definitely seemed very customizable and packed full of icon packs.

It is very strange how the developers of Abstract Games didn't notice or realize that. But hopefully they check into it too!

satur9ine

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Did you check in options > personalize > home screen to see if the Google Now launcher is selected as the launcher?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been swapping back and forth between the two launchers since getting my M8. I've a Nexus 7 that I pulled the APK from, so I trusted the source. Barring anything else, have you tried the factory reset?

Posted via Android Central App

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Did you check in options > personalize > home screen to see if the Google Now launcher is selected as the launcher?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Yes. I actually mentioned having done this and is the area where I noticed the "Abstract Games" listed as a launcher...which gave me the idea to remove that app altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been swapping back and forth between the two launchers since getting my M8. I've a Nexus 7 that I pulled the APK from, so I trusted the source. Barring anything else, have you tried the factory reset?

Posted via Android Central App
Was going to be done last night (factory reset). However, since removing that game "Abstract Games" did the trick, I did not have to reset! :)

neurotico

May 20, 2014
Visit site
So the issue is resolved and have determined that the solution was certainly the fact that the app named "Abstract Games", which I had installed, was setting itself as a home screen launcher, but has nothing to do with it. Having removed this app has corrected my issues and now whichever launcher I set as my default launcher is being remembered! :D

I have written to the developers of the app to inform them of this.

Thank you for everyone's assistance, I stumbled across the cause of this issue by the help, tips and ideas provided here.

Cheers!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois