Water damage

ree3312

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Basically my phone was in my pocket during a water day event with my students. They got me with a water bucket from behind and it got my phone. Screen and graphics are fine but I can't hear music or voice memos. I can hear my notification sounds though. Any suggestions on what I should do? I have T-Mobile as well so I don't know if going into a store would help. Thank you

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the insurance through T-Mobile?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can try to out it in rice

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I've had mixed results with this. On the one hand, a laptop with water damage functioned after drying in rice, but on the other there were still some quirks and evidence of water damage (it was in a river when a friend missed the step onto the dock from the boat). Definitely worth a try, especially as soon as possible after the water damage occurred because the rice will absorb the water.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had mixed results with this. On the one hand, a laptop with water damage functioned after drying in rice, but on the other there were still some quirks and evidence of water damage (it was in a river when a friend missed the step onto the dock from the boat). Definitely worth a try, especially as soon as possible after the water damage occurred because the rice will absorb the water.

Certainly it is not a guarantee but doesn't hurt to try

ree3312

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It ended up working it out on its own! For now at least. Lol thanks everyone

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
If I were you I'd make the kids do a bake sale or car wash to raise money for a new phone lol :D

[JTC ONE m8]

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Using rice to dry out electronics is a myth

http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

Rice only works anecdotally. And then causes other issues unless you use only a pure organic rice. If you use rice that has been dyed, it will leave residue all over your phone, and inside the headphone jack as well as the lightning port.

Rice can't work on an iPhone. It isn't magnetic with water, it has to make direct contact. It won't be able to make direct contact without you opening the phone. Opening the phone and putting rice on it could make the residue issue worse. The rice rumor keeps going because some people's phones work after rice, but they would have done the same in an empty jar as well. It could absorb humidity, but if you're in a humid place already, it won't really work. It could only pull a little bit of water out of the phone through humidity anyways imho.

There is no way anyone could know how bad the water damage is, so no one could really tell you what will and won't fix it. Your best bet is the ultrasonic cleaning mentioned in the quote.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Using rice to dry out electronics is a myth
For the sake of accurate info, whoever wrote that article missed the point. Contact is not the mechanism for water removal in the rice technique, it's humidity. I am an electronics professional and the rice technique is certainly not a myth. With that said, it is not a very efficient method for moisture removal. Some time in the sun and open-air is the best, free technique. The most effective way to deal with it (and the one I use for multi-thousand dollar pieces of equipment) would be dessicants, which you can but from a craft or gun store. You can find them in new clothing and shoes as well but they need to be re-charged in an oven to be effective.

Glad it worked out for the OP! In my experience, shorts that occur from water usually happen through the headphone jack and work themselves out most of the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000