Songs changing while running with M8

kdh0324

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So this past week while running with my M8, it has started changing songs before a song is over. It happens while it is in my pocket and in my hand. I guess my question is if there is a shake to change songs feature I can turn off or which physical button advances the songs (top button, volume rocker?). Anyway, the only thing I can think of is a changed cases recently and that could be pressing a button? Not sure. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or tips.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Was it happening while using headphones? I have been having this problem for a while playing music it just starts freaking out (skipping, glitching, etc.) but only seems to happen when using headphones.

I've tried different headphones, including the HTC provided headphones, and still have the problem. Pretty frustrating.

blink1me82

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me for the first time today. I really hope it doesn't start happening more often since I run and listen to music a lot. Will update if it gets worse.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Just a guess but...maybe motion gestures are waking your phone and then your music player buttons are being activated by your body? Sometimes my phone will unlock on its own in my pocket so I think this scenario is plausible..or perhaps in your music player settings there is an option for the volume buttons to change tracks and the sensitive volume buttons on this phone are changing tracks via your body movement during running?

[JTC ONE m8]

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
WOW, HTC STILL HASN'T FIXED THIS ISSUE!!!?!?!?

OK, so I had an Evo 3D (yes that's 4 generations ago) There was a known issues which sounds like the same thing that happening here.

The phone recognizes whether you plug in a headset with a mic and button or headphones without a mic and button. You can tell because the icon shown in the status bar is different. (One just looks like headphones, and the other looks like headphone with a mic on one side.) Anyway, SOMETIMES if you plug in headphones without a mic, the phone recognizes it incorrectly and thinks it has a mic and button (it will show the headset with mic icon). When this happens the phone would start randomly skipping tracks.

I've only had my One for a couple of days, and have only used my bluetooth headphones, so I haven't experienced this myself, but it sounds like this is what's happening.

Solutions:
1) When you plug in your headphones, pay close attention to the status bar icon and make sure its' the correct one. If it's not, unplug them and plug them back in.
2) Use a bluetooth headset
3) Use headphones with a mic and button. Before the problem was limited to when you'd use headphones without a mic.

EDIT: Like I said, I haven't experienced this on my HTC One, but I'm familiar with it from my HTC Evo 3D. If this is verified to be the issue, I'd recommend that a moderator add it to the "HTC One (M8) common problems and questions" sticky.

Last edited:

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me for the first time today. I really hope it doesn't start happening more often since I run and listen to music a lot. Will update if it gets worse.
I seldom come across this case , only when I go somewhere on a train, I'll use earphone and listen to on-line music, sometimes the area signal is bad enough and the song will stop and turn to next one, are u the same with me? Listen to on-line music? Or maybe the reason.

PinPoint84

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
my phone HTC M8 1 started doing this a few weeks ago. im not running or anything. just at my desk at work. I plug in headphones, and then music starts skipping ahead, backwards in the second/minutes. Ok google opens and tell me it couldn't hear what I said. I restart the phone, and it usually just keeps happening, until it doesnt, as weird as that sounds. Im convinced it has something to do with the headphone and headphone jack situation.

and, my headphones have a mic, and a mic button -____-

Last edited:

Sambit Paul

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
It happens usually when any liquid - possibly sweat enters the headphone mic slot.... probably causes some kind of short-circuiting leading to unwanted action on the phone... Try drying the headphone mic slot up... did the trick for me...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech