Can't receive MMS over wifi

F8ker8

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to wifi and wifi calling but am forced to use it because I don't get a signal where I now live... Anytime I get an MMS it won't download.. I have to go find a 4g signal in order for it to download... Why?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe MMS on Android always requires mobile data, even if you're using wifi calling.

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Same issue. 4g data is available but with WiFi calling enabled and on WiFi I get can't download message. If I turn WiFi calling off and try and re download the message disappears in hangouts. Definitely an issue.

F8ker8

May 7, 2014
Visit site
OK I have to reopen this post for feedback... My M8 won't download MMS over wifi but was told that you can't receive MMS over wifi period... Then why is my girlfriend able to receive MMS over wifi on her galaxy note 2 on the same WiFi signal?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're on T-Mobile since you're saying wifi calling... If so then only use the stock app. 3rd party messengers can't use T-Mobile's wifi calling protocol.. Only stock will work.

I can't send MMS on wifi calling via my 3rd party... Only by stock. Same goes with receiving..... If on mobile data then it doesn't matter what I use.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're on T-Mobile since you're saying wifi calling... If so then only use the stock app. 3rd party messengers can't use T-Mobile's wifi calling protocol.. Only stock will work.

I can't send MMS on wifi calling via my 3rd party... Only by stock. Same goes with receiving..... If on mobile data then it doesn't matter what I use.

Exactly this. Had the same issue on my GS3....had to use stock messaging app in order to work via WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. Xperia Z Ultra 6806 on T-Mo. I'm part of my church's volunteer staff. They send some important messages via SMS. When it gets to my phone, it says it's MMS and won't download. I have bad reception at home, but solid wifi. I'm using the stock app for messaging. Calling and incoming SMS work fine, but MMS won't download the attachment. Any ideas how I can fix it?

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue. Xperia Z Ultra 6806 on T-Mo. I'm part of my church's volunteer staff. They send some important messages via SMS. When it gets to my phone, it says it's MMS and won't download. I have bad reception at home, but solid wifi. I'm using the stock app for messaging. Calling and incoming SMS work fine, but MMS won't download the attachment. Any ideas how I can fix it?

If it's sent as a Group text, allot of times it will convert it to MMS....That may be why you receive it that way...

As to a fix, I don't have a clue.... I have always not been able to send or receive while on wifi... always need a data connection.

Lego

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used these in a while, but when I did they both worked over wifi. Textra and 8SMS. See if installing either one helps, if not uninstall.

But beware, if your provider doesn't support MMS over wifi you won't be able to use it, here is the warning from 8sms on MMS settings:

MMS over Wifi

If your cellular network (ie. Sprint) supports mms over wifi, you can enable Settings » MMS Settings » MMS over Wifi.

If your cellular network does not support mms over wifi (or you are not sure), then DO NOT enable MMS over Wifi or mms will stop working.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Legobricke and Super Dave426. As it turns out, T-Mo changed some of the APN settings. A call to tech support gave me a walk through for changing what I needed to, rebooting, then a test message. Success!

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Legobricke and Super Dave426. As it turns out, T-Mo changed some of the APN settings. A call to tech support gave me a walk through for changing what I needed to, rebooting, then a test message. Success!

How about posting the new settings for T-Mobile, please? ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
How about posting the new settings for T-Mobile, please? ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

Sorry, Benjamin_NYC and judoka209. I thought I was done with my previous post and just saw your requests. At this point, I don't recall what I changed from what to what. And I'm using a different phone. If you have an issue with MMS, your best bet is calling T-Mo tech support and letting them walk you through the settings.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante