Get double tap to work without moving phone first?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So I was wondering if there was a way to get the double tap or swipe up to wake the phone up without having to move the phone first? It seems kinda strange that a feature designed to make waking your phone up so simple is complicated by having to actually lift or move it first?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
But if it's in your pocket then it's being moved around and could easily be unlocked? I'm referring to it being on my desk and just double tapping it to check something etc...

It's done like this so you don't wake it in your pocket.

Naptownlove77- HTC ~⊙N?~8

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
But if it's in your pocket then it's being moved around and could easily be unlocked? I'm referring to it being on my desk and just double tapping it to check something etc...

Its called motion launch gestures for a reason. If you look in the settings, it demonstrates to pick the phone up in portrait mode first and then use the gestures. For me, it usually doesn't work if its just sitting flat. I've seen others claim that it does work for them on a desk without being used. But it seems like HTC wanted motion/portrait orientation to be a part of it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks figured as much, would just be A LOT more useful if I could activate it flat on a desk without moving it first... But with that said, I do really like the functionality.

Its called motion launch gestures for a reason. If you look in the settings, it demonstrates to pick the phone up in portrait mode first and then use the gestures. For me, it usually doesn't work if its just sitting flat. I've seen others claim that it does work for them on a desk without being used. But it seems like HTC wanted motion/portrait orientation to be a part of it.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks figured as much, would just be A LOT more useful if I could activate it flat on a desk without moving it first... But with that said, I do really like the functionality.

Yeah I agree. I like it most to swipe up when taking it out of my pocket. The screens unlocked by the time I'm looking at it.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Strange that some people are reporting this. I suppose if I tap it hard enough it works, but I think the tap is also hard enough to move the phone just enough to activate it, but it's not very reliable.

Actually, mine does wake up if I tap or swipe to wake up sitting on a desk.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually, mine does wake up if I tap or swipe to wake up sitting on a desk.

Are you moving it first?

Mine will wake on double-tap while sitting on my desk, but only if I bring it closer to me first (slide the phone closer on my desk). I think it only works if the phone is moved at all before the double-tap. I would like to know if anyone can do it without moving the phone even slightly before double-tapping as mine does not work that way.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you moving it first?

Mine will wake on double-tap while sitting on my desk, but only if I bring it closer to me first (slide the phone closer on my desk). I think it only works if the phone is moved at all before the double-tap. I would like to know if anyone can do it without moving the phone even slightly before double-tapping as mine does not work that way.

Nope, no movement at all. I actually just tested it. It's sitting about a foot away, reached over and double tapped, screen comes on.

EDIT: Nevermind.. if I double tap it lightly without moving it at all will not come on. I guess just that little bit of movement when tapping more than barely touching the screen moves it enough to activate whatever it is..

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope, no movement at all. I actually just tested it. It's sitting about a foot away, reached over and double tapped, screen comes on.

EDIT: Nevermind.. if I double tap it lightly without moving it at all will not come on. I guess just that little bit of movement when tapping more than barely touching the screen moves it enough to activate whatever it is..

This was kind of what I figured from seeing other posts but I wasn't 100% sure. Still, it's not too hard to get it to work while on a desk.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I can swipe or double tap it while it's on the desk, other times it doesn't work. It's a hit or miss on why it works sometimes.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
The requirement for motion is a battery saving thing, if it was always waiting for your longing touch the battery drain at idle would be higher

My M8 posted this

soshi89

May 20, 2014
Visit site
You can use motion launch to unlock screen without have to lift up the phone simply by rocking your phone slightly (since it has a curved back) and then either double tapping or swiping whichever direction for its specific purpose. I don't use motion launch anymore as it kept on unlocking my phone when it was in my pocket and started browsing the web or opening up apps lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12