M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

lmmky

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
Thanks

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
Thanks

The unlocked version will fully work on att.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
i'm in the same boat! i'm leaning towards the unlocked from amazon because i always have a hard time trying to keep my unlimited data plan when i get a new phone from AT&T. such a hassle! it might be nice to see a phone without that carrier bloatware too.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked and developers edition share the same radios as ATT model. Double check but they show the same.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the unlocked developer edition on att and the two biggest advantages are, I get the latest software directly from HTC and I get wifi hot spot functionality without rooting or signing up for it with AT&T.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hey! I had one more question about this topic. how does att's visual voicemail work on the unlocked version? can you download the att visual voicemail app or use a 3rd party?

njlx2016

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
On the M8, Visual Voicemail is built into the stock Messages app as part of Sense. You cannot install the AT&T Visual Voicemail app from the Play Store as it's listed as not compatible. If Visual Voicemail is part of Sense I would imagine it works regardless of carrier but I may be wrong.

You can try Google Voice, but I find the setup and use cumbersome and who knows how much longer the service will be around (in its current form at least)

Last edited: