Who's Selling their M8 for a G3?

Keeping M8 or Getting G3?

• Total voters

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The people most enamored of what the G3 can offer are already watching the G3 forums and ignoring their current phone's discussion area. Also as someone who honestly cannot tolerate the M8 I have noticed that when someone is grabbed by it they love the phone unconditionally and will sit thru RMAs for the joy of being reunited again. I would expect more converts away from Sammy if anything.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that when someone is grabbed by it they love the phone unconditionally and will sit thru RMAs for the joy of being reunited again.

Yep, that would be me. Sent both my M7 and M8 in for issues and was happy to get them back in perfect working order. :)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, there's only 2 crazies here, huh? I'm not really surprised. There is no lag on the M8 and why should there be? It's still a top phone, I'm just not enamored with it and I miss my G2.

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The people most enamored of what the G3 can offer are already watching the G3 forums and ignoring their current phone's discussion area. Also as someone who honestly cannot tolerate the M8 I have noticed that when someone is grabbed by it they love the phone unconditionally and will sit thru RMAs for the joy of being reunited again. I would expect more converts away from Sammy if anything.

Just wondering, what is so intolerable about the m8?

[JTC ONE m8]

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, what is so intolerable about the m8?

[JTC ONE m8]

Never been a big Sense fan for one, I need the extra camera pixels, Dot Case is awful and non-Dot cases scratch the metal anyways. Tower hopping bugs especially with Sprint. The modestly high number of build quality RMAs whereas I cannot afford to be phoneless.

In the end I got a Flex and am rocking it caseless. The G3 even does not much appeal to me, I am waiting on Flex 2 news...

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Never been a big Sense fan for one, I need the extra camera pixels, Dot Case is awful and non-Dot cases scratch the metal anyways. Tower hopping bugs especially with Sprint. The modestly high number of build quality RMAs whereas I cannot afford to be phoneless.

In the end I got a Flex and am rocking it caseless. The G3 even does not much appeal to me, I am waiting on Flex 2 news...

Non-Dot cases cause scratches?

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Dang, got the M8, and mine must be a weird phone. No problems with getting LTE, no scratches from my non-dot case, the camera is fine for what I use a phone for. I might have to bring it back because it works too well. I have it S-Off, rooted, unlocked and running the Viper Rom. Not because stock has a problem, but I like to customize it even further. Sorry you are having problems and don't like the camera, but you had to know about the camera before even buying it, so if you wanted a better one on your phone, you needed to buy a phone with a better camera.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Dang, got the M8, and mine must be a weird phone. No problems with getting LTE, no scratches from my non-dot case, the camera is fine for what I use a phone for. I might have to bring it back because it works too well. I have it S-Off, rooted, unlocked and running the Viper Rom. Not because stock has a problem, but I like to customize it even further. Sorry you are having problems and don't like the camera, but you had to know about the camera before even buying it, so if you wanted a better one on your phone, you needed to buy a phone with a better camera.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

....and I did....? I am glad you have no LTE issues, are you on a GSM carrier then? The scratching has to do with when dust gets inside a case or skin's solid sides where you grip it, make sure you clean inside to prevent buildup and scratching, it's happened to two of my clients...

For my needs I had to have a decent capture angle and at least enough pixels to make a respectable image at 2x digital zoom. I use the phone camera for nature stills and hardware inspection so this was pretty important.

One of the best ergonomic features of a curved phone is that it doesn't try to crawl out of my back pocket when I move around, which is why I am mostly looking forward to a Flex 2 with a 2nd gen screen....I mean the 720p is great most of the time because it's true pixels not pentile, but 1080p would improve the dual-window and remote desktop experience substantially.

Non-Dot cases cause scratches?

Sorry, I think I over generalized there. Cases and skins with solid sides have this bad way of gathering dirt inside that gets ground against the hull every time you grip it. Even corner grab cases are not immune but they do not accumulate dirt against the sides and are easier to pop apart and clean. Among my repair clients, some are the types that want to take the case off when they go to dinner or go golfing...

Dot case would be better with a redesign, and it would have been much more efficient if used on a phone with an OLED screen. Status LED is usually blocked and the self closing hinge felt awkward in the store, maybe a person gets used to it? And it turns the backlight to max in dot mode, as far as I could tell.

I don't really like the looks of the window case for the Flex either, but it uses only about 10% as much power (or less) than the normal lock screen and home screen. The problem is on the current panel, that kind of notification area invites temporary burn in if left running long enough. I've done a twelve hour burn test and the panel seems immune to permanent burn in, but no window case for me please.

Last edited:

Robgo

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
LG seems a bit cheap to me and lacking quality overall as a brand. Maybe it's just my experience with other products but as a company they don't excite me. It was a tough choice for me between the S5 the Xperia Z2 and the M8. Ultimately the M8 won out for me. LG isn't really exciting me very much. I've sworn off Samsung as I was extremely dissatisfied with my Galaxy S2 a long time ago. I had nearly sworn off android all together after owning a Lumia 920 but I'm back now.

I'm pretty happy with my M8. I have it rooted with elementalx kernel and running art. It's fast. Battery life is good. I'm down about 40-50% after a long day listening to music 3hrs with a USB dac and browsing reddit all the while. I definitely give it some abuse on the battery. I love the Sense UI. Does everything I need it too. Never have a problem getting LTE and regularly download at speeds of 45-50 mbps.

Why would I take the LG over the M8 aside from the bigger screen? My friend bought an S5 after I told him not and afterwards had regrets. He's telling me the screen is even too big for him. I passed on the Z2 because it would just be a bit too big in hand.

I'm not too concerned about camera as I have a wide angle lens dslr that I don't even use enough. For me the phone camera is only useful to send selfies to women I am trying to date. 5mp is enough detail for my ugly face :).

Last edited:

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
....and I did....? I am glad you have no LTE issues, are you on a GSM carrier then? The scratching has to do with when dust gets inside a case or skin's solid sides where you grip it, make sure you clean inside to prevent buildup and scratching, it's happened to two of my clients...

Yeah I am on AT&T, also have a case on mine, then again I am not too worried about scratches in the body of the phone. They would only bother me if it was on the screen. That is why I use a tempered glass screen protector. Looks and feels like glass.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
LG seems a bit cheap to me and lacking quality overall as a brand. Maybe it's just my experience with other products but as a company they don't excite me. It was a tough choice for me between the S5 the Xperia Z2 and the M8. Ultimately the M8 won out for me. LG isn't really exciting me very much. I've sworn off Samsung as I was extremely dissatisfied with my Galaxy S2 a long time ago. I had nearly sworn off android all together after owning a Lumia 920 but I'm back now.

I'm pretty happy with my M8. I have it rooted with elementalx kernel and running art. It's fast. Battery life is good. I'm down about 40-50% after a long day listening to music 3hrs with a USB dac and browsing reddit all the while. I definitely give it some abuse on the battery. I love the Sense UI. Does everything I need it too. Never have a problem getting LTE and regularly download at speeds of 45-50 mbps.

Why would I take the LG over the M8 aside from the bigger screen? My friend bought an S5 after I told him not and afterwards had regrets. He's telling me the screen is even too big for him. I passed on the Z2 because it would just be a bit too big in hand.

I'm not too concerned about camera as I have a wide angle lens dslr that I don't even use enough. For me the phone camera is only useful to send selfies to women I am trying to date. 5mp is enough detail for my ugly face :).

LG was once Goldstar, let's just say they've had a mountain to climb in terms of improving their quality. Consumer Reports liked the Flex, said it blew far beyond the manufacturer's claims...but all I care is that it's working fine for me and there are no common issues on any forums.

XDA boards, most of the guys are saying "I don't even want to flash something else. Give me root and we're good." Which is rather surprising. My battery and data situation have been adequate, up to ten hours browsing and web so stable it didn't drop a four hour long download. (Server side limited speed nonsense)

It's not so much the screen size, unless you do a lot of Netflix. It's more the way it fits my hand and my back pocket and jacket pocket. The button layout. Rear notification RGB LED. Easy call answering. It's as easy to hold as my 3.5" phone and easier to type on. In fact the typing ergonomics are better than my 7" tablet, a curved 6" panel seems to fit my hands very well. It only weighs 0.5oz more than the M8. It doesn't feel anything like a Mega, Max, Z2 in the hand.

I have a decent compact and a better mirrorless, but the phone is always in my pocket. If camera was my only goal I may have jumped on a Lumia or other gimmick. When I take a photo with a friend, I use the rear camera with the face detection guide. That rear LED is a swiss army knife. 13mpix and flash available...I have used the front camera only once, for a video call to discuss my bid for a job.

But like I said, the M8 does what folks like you need and my phone does what I need. Maybe I could tolerate the M8 if I reflashed, but I prefer phones that don't need such measures.

Yeah I am on AT&T, also have a case on mine, then again I am not too worried about scratches in the body of the phone. They would only bother me if it was on the screen. That is why I use a tempered glass screen protector. Looks and feels like glass.

Because it glass. :3 I do like them, they don't snag a stylus and most seemed like they retained more touch sensitivity. You are ona good path.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Because it glass. :3 I do like them, they don't snag a stylus and most seemed like they retained more touch sensitivity. You are ona good path.

I know , I have used tempered glass protector since the M7, I have one on my Lumia 1520. it's very thin glass, and if it scratches, $15 to replace.

Robgo

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I know , I have used tempered glass protector since the M7, I have one on my Lumia 1520. it's very thin glass, and if it scratches, $15 to replace.

I use tempered glass screen protectors as well. They are even cheaper here. £6. I'm using a $1 case I bought off ebay from china as the case that comes with it is a bit too thick. A thin .3mm case. Doesn't take much protection to make your phone resell-able. It's pretty much essential with this phone.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
This is actually my biggest gripe about the M8... Not the low mp camera (it's been great for me), but the lack of different-colored LED notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

This was an unexpected bonus, most of the reviewers glossed right over such an important feature. Front and rear notification lights, color-by-contact, individual toggles for ALL default notifications SEPARATELY for front and rear, IT'S FANTASTIC!!

Some of the special functions are entertaining. Face focus uses colors on the rear light to make taking a hi rez selfie or couples photo easier. And when the phone is in an active call it cycles the rear light constantly between green and purple for some reason. You can turn that off like any other light type if you do not like it...

9 front light types, 11 rear light types, all individual toggle. Plus face focus. Plus color-by-contact. Dovetails nicely with Silent audio profile and with Quiet Mode.

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
This is actually my biggest gripe about the M8... Not the low mp camera (it's been great for me), but the lack of different-colored LED notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

I actually agree with you on that. The led is my only complaint about the phone.