My HTC One M8 just wiped itself... for the second time!

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I'm pretty sure I know why it keeps wiping itself -

First time was because I bypassed lock screen and had gestures turned on so when I put it in my pocket, it woke up to the lock screen, and somehow 10 failed login attempts must of occurred because when I took my phone out of my pocket it was running the setup wizard!

Second time, thought I learned my lesson - I disabled bypass lock screen - this seemed to help for a while but... gestures still turned on. I used my phone, clicked the lock button, put it in my pocket, took it out, and BLAMO - running setup wizard again!

So, for now I think here's what I need to do -

1. Do NOT bypass lock screen

2. Set phone to lock immediately

3. Disable gestures

Maybe step 2 negates everything? Any thoughts? anyone else experiencing this??? GRRR I love this phone but this is p1ssing me off!!!

I posted this on another thread - I think HTC needs 2 updates!

1. DO NOT WIPE PHONE ON 10 FAILED LOGIN ATTEMPTS! Just require login with google account like iPhone requires login with icloud account if it gets locked!

2. Volume buttons only active if phone IS NOT locked -

:mad:

P.S. Still love this phone lol...

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even know it could do this on irs own. But since I don't password lock my phone, I probably don't need to worry

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As I replied to you in another thread, I agree the 10 count sucks, and also that the volume buttons on mine are inactive when the screen is off unless listening to music. There was another thread on here where I mentioned the gesture controls shouldn't be waking the phone up if it's in your pocket. You can test this by covering up the proximity sensor and the screen shouldn't respond to double taps and swipes. If it does, then you may have a defect, or there may be an in pocket detection setting on your version that you need to turn on. Mine doesn't have that option, it simply defaults to not responding while the sensor is blocked.

I suspect it's the power button, which is pretty easy to push. Any phone I've had with a top mounted power button has been prone to turning on while in my pocket. I usually wear denim jeans, and bending at the waist is usually the culprit. If I'm wearing something with looser pockets, it rarely turns on. I keep the gestures turned on and it's only turned on a couple times while in my pocket in the week I've had it. Both times it was while bending over.

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I turned gestures off. Thinking of turning security off too but then I worry about **** dialing. I'm using a Spigon clear case and the power button is harder to press then without so not sure if it's that however, good point, it may be...

Either way, my opinion hasn't changed bout this awesome phone. I just got my son a GS5, and I really like it, but my M8 is the cats meow IMHO regardless of my issues.

Besides it restored everything in about 20 mins once I ran thru the setup wizard and entrered my Google info... Only bummer is my pics and music got wiped but they're in the cloud too so...thank God for Google Music Manager and cloud pic backup!

Posted via Android Central App

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the 10 failed attempts thing is annoying and it sucks how Verizon forces this on us. Apparently this is only on Verizon M8s and I wish they would just get rid of it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the 10 failed attempts thing is annoying and it sucks how Verizon forces this on us. Apparently this is only on Verizon M8s and I wish they would just get rid of it.

Are you sure? Everything I've seen indicates it's an HTC thing, and doesn't specify it being Verizon only.