Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I switched this morning. Tbh I can't really tell a difference. The phone is already quick as is.

Posted via Android Central App

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I ended up switching back, I started noticing some bugs & several forecloses that never happened before. I'll wait till Android 5.0 when it's fully polished. Now that I have still feels fast as hell as if it was still running ART

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
ART seems like it's really going to speed up Android as a whole. I'd love to see Apple talk more about 64 bit while Android has noticeable speed and battery life improvements.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I ended up switching back too. The uneven performance was a bit odd, and I found several bugs. Polaris Office wouldn't open, AT&T Digital life wouldn't sign in, etc.

Last edited:

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I switched to ART yesterday and most apps do seem to open quicker and I haven't run into any that freeze yet. The Facebook app is the one that came with the phone (3.7) and opens immediately, I won't update it until they make choosing "Most Recent" stick instead of the stupid Top Stories.. I turn off my phone every night and I noticed that at bootup it gives an upgrading apps spin and then boots. Strange, I guess if there was a new app it would have to adjust it. Haven't noticed any battery difference, yet.

Robgo

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been using ART only for a couple of weeks now. There is a definite improvement in speed and battery life overall. Some apps don't work but none of them are critical apps for me. I just delete the apps that don't work and find alternatives that do work. All my essential apps work fine as well as a couple of games I've got on my phone. For me it's mostly been games that don't work but I don't care about that so much.

brodrick

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have good luck with ART. It used less RAM consistently, but the camera opened slower, and it seemed that the only apps that opened faster, were the ones I had recently used. The battery life didn't improve for me like I hoped. The phone got hot in my pocket today for no reason, and drained it 15 percent in 3 hours. I went back to Dalvik and will stay there until they polish ART up a bit with L. One thing, I didn't select the "high performance mode" in the developer options, just because I like the battery life as is.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Speed improvements are generally because changing runtime clears the dalvik cache, not because dalvik is faster than ART or vice versa

My M8 posted this

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Like that'll ever happen. Their desktop and mobile websites do it too. :rolleyes:
But it did happen, that's why I am sticking with 3.7 it opens to most recent if you check the choice by default, my PC version sticks too for about 5 days and then I have to set it again. FB has a Beta test running and the single most requested change is to return the most recent choice by default, they must make a lot of cash on Top Stories to ignore everyone.

On a side note I had to reboot this morning because I couldn't turn the screen off, that's new.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Reverting back to Dalvik, second time I had an issue booting up, an error report was generated and sent. Also couldn't turn the screen off again so I figured if I am going to reboot I might as well switch back. I didn't notice any difference in battery life, just seemed snappier on ART. Reversion took only 2 minutes, unlike the 15 to switch to ART.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a less even experience. However, I have noticed one consistent thing : better touch responsiveness. Which I really enjoy. The entire os seems to respond to my finger much faster.

Otherwise, some things are faster, others are slower.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
After a month, I switched back. ART felt a little snappier, maybe, but, I had some booting errors, and a few apps wouldn't work such as Polaris Office 5 and WPS Office (Formerly Kingsoft) didn't work. Switched back and they work again...

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched back to ART to test the better battery life theory & imo it seemed to die a lot faster than normal w the power save mode on

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Tried it for a while, battery life dropped a lot, camera became sluggish opening and very sluggish closing.
A few of my apps crashed constantly and overall it wasn't worth the hassle for me.
Back on Dalvik now and the phone is running a dream.