My HTC One m8 wont recognize that my headphones are plugged in?

RushedUserName

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
One minute my phone was playing music fine, then the phone stopped recognizing my headphones. I've tried cleaning out the headphone jack but that did not work. It happened before and after a day of cleaning it out to no avail, I restarted the phone and the phone started recognizing the headphones. I tried it this time but nothing happened. The music just plays through the speakers. I have the Harmon Kardon Edition with the stock Harmon Kardon Headphones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do the headphones work fine on other devices? And have you tried other headphones on your One?

chrisnealson

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey I've had the same issue. If you have cleaned it out with compressed air and it still doesn't work, try the SoundAbout app. It worked for me. Now I'm trying to figure out what is causing the issue.

saulyou2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
My beats headphones stopped working immediately after the update to 4.4.3 to my HTC One M8. They do work on other phones. BoomSound does not turn off when I plug them in. I tried an old set and they do work on the HTC One.

Any ideas???

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
What Software system are u using? As I know for the M8 443 update, it seems to give the stability on headphones icons.
Have u ever tried reboot your phone or do a factory reset?
Or anyone had the same issue with u?
My beats headphones stopped working immediately after the update to 4.4.3 to my HTC One M8. They do work on other phones. BoomSound does not turn off when I plug them in. I tried an old set and they do work on the HTC One.

Any ideas???

Georgeyyy

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine started doing the same today :(
When playing music with the headphones plugged in, the headphone icon is not displayed and the sound comes out of the speakers.
I had the software updated yesterday ... which may be the cause

I restarted my phone and also reset to factory settings but nothing has helped :(

George

KyaKING

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I started having the same problem with my headphones, my Urbanears Zinken headphones won't be recognized while my HTC earplugs which came with my device works fine, my headphones works fine with everything else (computer and other mobile devices.) I bought the headphones 2 weeks ago, and I was really enjoying the music (with BoomSound turned off, seems the clarity decreases with BoomSound on to me.)
so I would like to know how to fix this..
please help. =(

NiteKnight

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Though I don't have any real solution I thought i would add my experience with this as well.

Yesterday, my headphones(the HTC pair that came with the phone) were working fine in the morning. Then I left the phone alone for a while with the headphones plugged in but with nothing playing and when I came back to it a few hours later the headphones were no longer recognized as being plugged in by the phone and audio was coming out of the phone speakers.
In keeping with what others are saying, the HTC headphones still work fine with other devices and all the other headphones I have work fine with the HTC One. But the specific pairing of HTC headphones with HTC phone does not work. I am wondering if it has something to do with them being the pair plugged in at the time of an update though I can't be sure if any update occurred during the time I was not using my phone.

As recommended above using the Soundabout app to force media output to the headphones does work, though the in-line remote does not, so I am certain it is a software issue and I am going to hope that HTC releases a fix for it soon.

k8lyncarver

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The same thing is happening to me. It just started this past weekend. I have tried a couple different sets of headphones, too. All the sound continues to come through the speakers. Is it safe to say it was the recent update that did this? My phone will automatically, and very randomly, go into "Car Mode" and "Dock Mode" too.
Also, when I tried to charge it last night, it wouldn't recognize the charger and kept thinking I had it docked instead. A quick reboot of my phone fixed this.
I will try the Soundabout App but hope that it isn't a permanent thing. I really like this phone.

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
hi k8lyncarver , KyaKING ,Georgeyyy ,saulyou2 ,
Did you all update to 4.4.3 ROM and something wrong with the headphone recognized?
Maybe you can share info. with each other about what carrier or Software Version are you using to see if it's really K443 update issue.
Or any one of you fix it or not and share the results for us.

The same thing is happening to me. It just started this past weekend. I have tried a couple different sets of headphones, too. All the sound continues to come through the speakers. Is it safe to say it was the recent update that did this? My phone will automatically, and very randomly, go into "Car Mode" and "Dock Mode" too.
Also, when I tried to charge it last night, it wouldn't recognize the charger and kept thinking I had it docked instead. A quick reboot of my phone fixed this.
I will try the Soundabout App but hope that it isn't a permanent thing. I really like this phone.

KyaKING

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I uploaded my software info, as you can see, I have downloaded the SoundAbout app, works great but it takes too much effort to switch from listening to music to watching a video on youtube with speakers for me. Also, my headphone functions don't work (press button to answer phone call, pause, play.) and I can't turn BoomSound off, which bugs me the most..
hope this gets fixed soon.
also, do you guys know any great games? I like games like Osmos HD, Duet, Cytus, Deemo.

Thanks.

Kya.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 25530.jpg
    25530.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 47

Scooter1988

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I just started having the exact same issue today - I just wanted to let everyone know that there's another one out there.

I too have the latest update and, like K8lyn, I also had Car Mode pop up really frequently without notice. Every now and then the headphones will work for a bit and then switch off letting all the sound stream out of the main speakers at full blast (which is also great for making friends on my commute). I'll try the SoundAbout app, but I hope this gets fixed soon!

NiteKnight

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I am still having this issue; occasionally when I plug in the headphones the headphone icon shows up, but very quickly disappears again though I have been unable to predictably get this to happen. I have sent an email to HTC customer support and will let you know what they have to say about it once I hear back from them.

You can see my system info attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot (09-57AM, Sep 05, 2014).jpg
    Screenshot (09-57AM, Sep 05, 2014).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 48

karlkoelle

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Another one here. I went to start my run this morning; headphones were in but sound through the speakers. I replugged them and the headphones were fine. 30 seconds out the door, they stopped working and have refused to be recognized since then. I was using the stock HTC headphones; I tried 3 other pair of headphones here and they all did the same thing. Basically I plug them in but the phone doesn't see them.

I tried cleaning out the jack; there was some dirt in there but it didn't fix the issue.

Android 4.4.3
HTC Sense 6.0
Software 2.16.651.4
HTC SDK API level

Looks like I have the same Android version but older software than most of you guys; no idea what caused this. Thought about updating the software but since you guys seem to be having the same issue on newer version, maybe I'll just stand pat for now...

Has anyone attempted the superglue solution? I'm too new to post links; don't think this would help since it seems like a software issue but thought I'd check. Basically it's a metal connection issue around the headphone jack that causes white noise (per the poster). There's a solution on imgur where he puts a couple of drops of superglue on the rim to insulate.

andolw

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
So I updated the firmware to 4.4.3 a couple days ago and now I am having an audio jack issue. At first it was just when connecting my phone to my surround sound and I thought the jack was completely not working. But then I tried it on my HTC headphones that came with the phone and some at have at work and they sound phenomenal.

I have plugged in other devices to my surround sound and everything still works fine. With it being intermittent could it still be a software issue?

Android Version 4.4.3
HTC Sense 6.0
Software # 2.21.605.2
HTC SDK API Level 6.25

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey I've had the same issue. If you have cleaned it out with compressed air and it still doesn't work,
try the SoundAbout app. It worked for me. Now I'm trying to figure out what is causing the issue.
So I updated the firmware to 4.4.3 a couple days ago and now I am having an audio jack issue. At first it was just when connecting my phone to my surround sound and I thought the jack was completely not working. But then I tried it on my HTC headphones that came with the phone and some at have at work and they sound phenomenal.

I have plugged in other devices to my surround sound and everything still works fine. With it being intermittent could it still be a software issue?

Android Version 4.4.3
HTC Sense 6.0
Software # 2.21.605.2
HTC SDK API Level 6.25

Chris Noise

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Exact same issue for me. Soundabout did the trick but I still want to get to the root of the issue and see what can be done to fix it. I'm pretty confident it's a software issue.