My HTC One m8 wont recognize that my headphones are plugged in?

Jonathan Henderson

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine wouldn't work with my Beats By Dre Studio headphones. But, i thought it was only because my AUX cable end wasnt long enough to fully sit in the jack of the headphone. BUT, after troubleshooting, modifying and researching every piece and combination I came upon a SOLUTION. To my problem at least, hope this works for all of you.

First step, download that app SoundAbout on the A.Market place.
Second step, restart your phone.
Third step, open the app and click on Media audio.... (menu) and then scroll down the list of options, clicking. i.e. Wired headset, wired headset (with mic) <-thats the one that worked for me, Aux digital, USB, etc etc. or you can select for it to auto detect if it works for you automatically but it didnt for me.

I realized when looking back, the AUX cable i bought was also an HD/ or 3D cable (the newer high tech-er ones) and it works on the newer cars, and computers, ish like that, but there is still plenty that is not on board with w.e the diff in these cables are. old school prevails in this instance.

Anyways, hope this helped. I NEVER post, but this was driving me nuts, and I owed it back to the man who gave me the idea for SoundAbout!

Guorong

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
100% a software issue....I don't know the issue is with android or htc

My HTC ear piece stopped working on my m8 after I did the update about 1-2 months ago. The HTC ear piece is fine and works on other devices. I have another ear piece from ultimate ears works on my htc m8.

I don't understand why my ear piece from HTC can't work on my m8 anymore. The soundabout worked for me but my music play controls on my HTC ear piece can't function at all.

I hope someone can provide a permanent solution to this sigh...is there anyway to reach HTC for this issue?

fathead#WN

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a follow up to this issue. I was still having problems with this even after doing the CDMA solution. I just chatted with an HTC support tech about the issue. He had me clear the phone cache and that seems to have cleared up the issue. Here are the steps he had me do:
  1. make sure fast boot is turned off (settings > power >)
  2. power off the phone
  3. hold volume-down and power at the same time
  4. when the menu comes up, use the volume buttons to select 'recovery', and select it with the power key
  5. it will reboot, when the red triangle appears, hold volume-up and press the power key once without releasing the volume up key
  6. when the next menu comes up, select wipe cache partition, select it with the power key
  7. when the process is complete, highlight 'reboot' and use power key to select it.
  8. the phone will reboot, and the headphone jack should work better
My volumes are better, although not entirely balanced. Seems like about 40% left/60% right. He had me try it in safe mode as well, but that did not seem to make it any better. The only other option was to do a complete factory reset, which I did not want to do. I'm ok with the 40/60 split.
Good luck!
-vb

I just did this and it worked a charm.

Chris Lovett

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I just did this and it worked a charm.

Tried the same thing but to no avail, if i plug my XO four's in I get nothing until I actually push play, then I get a headphone notification but sound comes through the handset? Waiting to hear back from HTC on this , it's definitely to do with the update. Sticking this in a draw until it's fixed, never had this problem with iOS

chrisexile

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
hi, I got the htc one m8 on Saturday and have been using it fine. BUT I did the upgrade yesterday morning and since then the sound control on my beats headphones doesn't work (but the pause button does) and also, when I hook it up to my car stereo (iphone 4s to android audio adapter) the sound only comes out of the device. any ideas when the next sw update will be?? I have until 8 November to change my phone so I might go with the Samsung s5 as there was no issue when I tried my mates phone in the car. thanks

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
TTY MODE :mad:

Turn it off … i just did …. and my headset is recognized
where do you do that at ?
:D

Ok. Everybody I think I have a solution. At least it worked for my phone. 1. Power off phone. 2. Go into phone menu by pressing n holding vol down and power 3. Once menu comes up pick recover and press power button 4. Once the pic of a phone with a triangle with a ! In the middle comes up hold vol up button and press the power button. 5. This should bring a blue menu up. Choose wipe complete cache. Pick that. The same menu will pop up and then pick reboot. I did this and my headphone jack is back to working. Hope it works for everybody

Last edited by a moderator:

kurt hectic

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've found a solution, at least on htc one m7: turn off a beats audio. I have a switcher in the settings (in main menu) after that phone will recognize headphones and if you want you can turn this option ON again.

jolt182

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Seems stupid and weird and probably it's only my case, because I'm very retarded, but try to close the "car" app. You will have to enter into the app as it doesn't appear as running in the apps menu.

You will not only recover the headphones connectivity but also the block screen rotation option.

It is a clear android bug that hopefully will be fixed with lollypop.

vanjan14

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I was also having the issue where the One M8 was not recognising my headset which is a HyperX Cloud 2. After doing some fiddling, I found out that the phone would only not recognise the headset with the mic detached from the earcup. Once I plugged the microphone back in everything works fine.

So, this may may be the case for people using headsets with detachable mics. For people using earbuds with an inline mic I would suspect that that the microphone circuit has become severed in some way. Also, this would only apply to people using TRRS 3.5mm plugs as they are the type that include the microphone capability.

For regular headphone/earbud users there is some other software or hardware issue.

porten

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. I had the same issue with my HTC One M7 + Kingston HyperX Cloud headset. As soon as I inserted the microphone, the headset was recognized and works fine.
I could also force it to work without microphone attached, via the Soundabout app (although it doesn't display the headset top-icon when using this forced method).

PaulRS90

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Just got the hyperx cloud 2 and was a little annoyed that they wouldn't work with my phone but plugging the mic in has worked a treat. Thank you!

Bratone

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a follow up to this issue. I was still having problems with this even after doing the CDMA solution. I just chatted with an HTC support tech about the issue. He had me clear the phone cache and that seems to have cleared up the issue. Here are the steps he had me do:
make sure fast boot is turned off (settings > power >)
power off the phone
hold volume-down and power at the same time
when the menu comes up, use the volume buttons to select 'recovery', and select it with the power key
it will reboot, when the red triangle appears, hold volume-up and press the power key once without releasing the volume up key
when the next menu comes up, select wipe cache partition, select it with the power key
when the process is complete, highlight 'reboot' and use power key to select it.
the phone will reboot, and the headphone jack should work better

My volumes are better, although not entirely balanced. Seems like about 40% left/60% right. He had me try it in safe mode as well, but that did not seem to make it any better. The only other option was to do a complete factory reset, which I did not want to do. I'm ok with the 40/60 split.
Good luck!
-vb.

I have the same problem, tried this and it doesn't work but it works with that SoundAbout app.What can I do to permanently fix this ? I don't want to buy that app in order to use my headphones, WTF HTC ?

Moushmee Pardesi

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my speakers. They work on my PC, old mobile etc. except on my phone. They work on my phone earlier. The thing is they've stopped working on devices with audio output recognition. The above fixes didn't work either. Could I cut the jack and replace it with the one of my old earphones which are recognizable on my device?

Areefa Ahmed

May 8, 2015
Visit site
suddenly my headphone stopped working and after a while my phone cant recognize the headphones and it is showing that the headphone is not plugged in...i have re started my phone but no use what do i do now??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty