My first Android Phone.

Eli Linares

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Greetings everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm also an Android newbie, so be nice :) I decided to buy my first Android Phone ever (HTC One M8)

I love my new phone, however there's two things so far I hate on it, number one: the keyboard and the other: being able to get all my mail in one dedicated Inbox. I'm bilingual (Spanish & English) and I find myself typing in both languages all day to different people, in Windows Phone I found it extremely easy to switch between input languages on the keyboard depending on who I'm talking to by just pressing the EN/ES key repeatedly to alternate between the two languages, I can't find that feature on Android, I only see a way to select only English or Spanish on the phone settings and it also offers me to correct words in both languages.

The Spanish suggestions are wrong most of the time btw so the feature is almost worthless anyway, but that's besides the point lol, nothing however remotely similar to that feature on Windows phone, typing in Spanish on this phone is hell unless you select Spanish as permanent keyboard language, is there an app or a hidden setting that would help me accomplish this? I would love to have both languages loaded into the keyboard at all times like it was possible with WP, am I missing something?

The other annoyance is being forced to use the GMail App on the phone, I know it can be disabled but then Android warns me that if I do that other apps might not work correctly and that I might miss important notices etc, I would like to install an App that would allow me to integrate all my mail accounts into one Inbox, any ideas on the side effects of disabling the GMail app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Swype's keyboard. It's a paid third party app, but you can download and switch languages by long pressing the space bar. Not sure how well it handles Spanish, but it's one of the top keyboard apps, and I would suspect it handles the language ok.

Aside from stopping notifications in Gmail, there should also be a generic Mail app on your phone. You can use that to accept email from other services.

Eli Linares

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
1. Just use SwiftKey

2. No need to disable Gmail, just turn off email sync and it won't bother you again

My M8 posted this

Thanks, suddenly out of the blue ( or was I missing it before?) I'm seeing a key with a little earth globe which allows me to switch between languages just like I was used to with Windows Phone! so problem solved, thanks a lot for your suggestions they really helped.

@Mooncatt thanks a lot too, is the default generic app able to receive mail from GMail as well? problem is I want only one inbox, I appreciate your help.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I *think* you can retrieve Gmail via the stock mail app. It has some presets for various services, but can also set up an account manually as long as it uses POP3 or IMAP (btw, I know at least Yahoo needs to be set up with IMAP if you want to utilize custom/spam folders from that account). I haven't tried it with a Gmail account, but I'd expect it to use those protocols. You'll likely loose some functionality that you get with the Gmail app too.

BldyIdt

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, suddenly out of the blue ( or was I missing it before?) I'm seeing a key with a little earth globe which allows me to switch between languages just like I was used to with Windows Phone! so problem solved, thanks a lot for your suggestions they really helped.

@Mooncatt thanks a lot too, is the default generic app able to receive mail from GMail as well? problem is I want only one inbox, I appreciate your help.

I just tried with my gmail accounts and it works just fine as long as you don't have two-step authentication on it. If you have a two-step authentication account I think you'll have to use the manual setup and use the Google application specific passwords (just the same way you'd do with the Outlook application on a PC).

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Greetings everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm also an Android newbie, so be nice :) I decided to buy my first Android Phone ever (HTC One M8)

I love my new phone, however there's two things so far I hate on it, number one: the keyboard and the other: being able to get all my mail in one dedicated Inbox. I'm bilingual (Spanish & English) and I find myself typing in both languages all day to different people, in Windows Phone I found it extremely easy to switch between input languages on the keyboard depending on who I'm talking to by just pressing the EN/ES key repeatedly to alternate between the two languages, I can't find that feature on Android, I only see a way to select only English or Spanish on the phone settings and it also offers me to correct words in both languages.

The Spanish suggestions are wrong most of the time btw so the feature is almost worthless anyway, but that's besides the point lol, nothing however remotely similar to that feature on Windows phone, typing in Spanish on this phone is hell unless you select Spanish as permanent keyboard language, is there an app or a hidden setting that would help me accomplish this? I would love to have both languages loaded into the keyboard at all times like it was possible with WP, am I missing something?

The other annoyance is being forced to use the GMail App on the phone, I know it can be disabled but then Android warns me that if I do that other apps might not work correctly and that I might miss important notices etc, I would like to install an App that would allow me to integrate all my mail accounts into one Inbox, any ideas on the side effects of disabling the GMail app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer the stock Em@il or whatever that ships on most phones. After all these years, GMail still falls on its face with simple things like attaching too many pictures. Email warns that a mail is too big to send, and offers to resize images when they are attached.