Htc one m8 one month on

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just thought I'd share my thoughts after about a month with my HTC.

To be honest I've fallen in love with it! It has done everything I've expected and more and lightning quick. The ui is brilliant and works really well without the bloatware of other companies (Samsung I'm looking at you) clogging up the memory. Obviously it looks and feels brilliant and very premium. The screen is stunning and I very quickly got used to the size (had a 4s for a few months so a bit of a change).

Finally the camera.... After using it for a few weeks can say is not bad would've been nicer if they could've bumped it up to 8mp at least but as long as you're not zooming in the pictures turn out perfectly acceptable and clear and I've had some fun with the added features having the ufocus lens has brought.

All in all I'm very happy with my decision and look forward to keeping this phone for a very long time (I've just sold my old 4s as well so this is it now) brilliant phone brilliant design highly recommended piece of tech

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am quite pleased with mine as well. I only had it about 2 weeks before I decided to root and flash a custom ROM on mine. Now running Carbon and loving it.

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that was next step possibly but I really like sense tbh tried themer for a bit but couldn't get it to work properly so went back to stock ui

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hardware question - is there much of a difference in feel between this and the m7? I know it's larger, but does it feel heavier / more premium?

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't know never held/used m7 sorry it does feel fairly big but I got used to it quite quickly

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming feel is pretty much the same as it's same materials apart from a bit more metal round the side but other than that don't know really

mlynch01

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Hardware question - is there much of a difference in feel between this and the m7? I know it's larger, but does it feel heavier / more premium?

I am a current M8 owner coming from the M7. The M8 feels alot better in the hand than the M7 because of the smooth rounded edges. With the M7 the corners were a little sharp and you could feel slight edges in your palms while holding it, with the M8 there is no such thing. It feels almost luxurious and very premium.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I love my M8, and I may be in the minority, but I'm digging the camera. I'm not a photographer, but take lots of pictures and upload them via social media mostly. Camera has a fast shutter speed and quality is good enough for me.

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah like I said it's not as bad as I thought n as long as you're not zooming the quality is very good if u want quality pictures buy an actual digital camera that's what they're for phone cameras are pretty much there for of the moment photos for Facebook etc and it does that perfectly fine

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
does the m8 match the s5 in shutter speed?

The shutter speeds are about the same. I tried them both in store. But what I was impressed with was processing speeds and follow up shots. The M8 blows the S5 away in follow up shots. It takes the S5 a little while to process, especially on HDR shots.

HeroicLove

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I carry this thing with me on an OCD level. To the bathroom, church, poolside, you name it. The design is luxurious and the camera is amazing. I'm coming from a BlackBerry 9900 so you can only imagine my infatuation!

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah.... Does anyone still own a blackberry now? Surely it won't be long before wwf are putting them on the endangered species list?

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a current M8 owner coming from the M7. The M8 feels alot better in the hand than the M7 because of the smooth rounded edges. With the M7 the corners were a little sharp and you could feel slight edges in your palms while holding it, with the M8 there is no such thing. It feels almost luxurious and very premium.

Well said. I had the m7 and I feel like this is a nice step up. And the m7 was really nice. So it's pretty impressive how they've one upped themselves.

Everything else about it is smoother as well. It is a beaut.

BockBock

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Only had mine for a week so far but I love it. It's about 1in taller than I'd like but the design is beautiful, UI is much better than TouchWhiz and on par with stock. I will admit as a photographer I love the easy access manual settings but I wish it was at least 6-8MP because you cannot crop this at all. I will say that if you take the time to dial in -0.5EV in daylight it really helps with blown out skies that I see on so many reviews.

*Forgot to note I came from a ONE X which is still the perfect size for me but the build quality + speed/fluid UI is an acceptable trade-off.

enloeeagle

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy S3, I have to say that I am blown away by the M8. I've always preferred Sense to TouchWiz, and Sense 6 has solidified that for me. The screen is beautiful, and the device itself is rather tall, and a little very slick. Combined, those two characteristics can make the phone difficult to grip.

But I must emphasize how wonderfully this phone has been designed. I'm not usually one who refers to technology as "beautiful", but that's really the only way to describe the M8's design. I often find myself staring at the phone while I'm at work lol.

The camera does lack in quality at times, but as many others have said, if you're mainly uploading to social networks and the like, it probably won't be an issue. And the manual controls allow you to capture some really great looking shots.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Just picked one up last week and it's surprising how much nicer it looks than the M7. It really is a handsome design.

And in hand, even though it's slightly wider than even a Nexus 5, I find it easier to handle because of the thinner sides and softly curved edges.

I am let down by the lack of OIS though. I tested it out this weekend at a music festival and it's really visible in videos. The M7 definitely had a better mic also. Having only 4 mp is an issue now that even my laptop screen is close to 6 mp! Can't even open an image full screen on my laptop now.

Overall though, the battery life, SD card, better design and louder speakers outweigh the lack of OIS and low megapixel camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude