think I'm moving to the gs5

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Water resistance is about all I'll give the S5 in a head to head. Maybe that and more cases available.

I have an S5 collecting dust right now in favor of the M8 BTW.

Posted via Android Central App

Battery life is better, camera is better, and the battery is interchangeable which also means you can buy a wireless charging cover or the s-view case if you want a super slim case.

That said I'm not polarized on this issue. I have an S5 but the M8 has the more pleasant overlay. I really prefer a Nexus device but Verizon didn't give me that option. I would have gone M8 if it weren't for the removable battery. Its just about impossible to get a device with no compromises. Also, I like the S5 display. I know that the screen is not accurate, but it is modified in a way that makes it very pleasing to the eye.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I miss certain Samsung gimmicks. Say what you will about touchwiz, but I miss the alarm app (best alarm I've ever used), the swiping for a screenshot, some of the gestures were great, the camera features were awesome, and I even miss S-voice. The M8 is great for a well designed nearly basic phone.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss certain Samsung gimmicks. Say what you will about touchwiz, but I miss the alarm app (best alarm I've ever used), the swiping for a screenshot, some of the gestures were great, the camera features were awesome, and I even miss S-voice. The M8 is great for a well designed nearly basic phone.

I detest the swipe to take a screen shot personally. I find it easier to have the multitasking thing on the left, and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally gotten the multitasking selector on top of my screenshot. I purged the heck out of 90% of the samsung garbage. SVoice, TouchWiz, and all. Basically I have the alarm (which I don't use), Calendar, Browser (although I use Chrome mainly), Messaging (as I'm a little weary of a third party app reading them), and Dialer. That's about it really.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

How is the HTC One M8 a basic phone? The general consensus among reviewers is that it is the best smartphone out there. Wouldn't a basic smartphone be something like the Moto G?

TouchWiz is bloated and the constant lag as you move throughout the operating system kills the experience, not to mention the cheap plastic body. The G3 rocks plastic better.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So. Much. Shade. The s5 is a good phone. I didn't have lag when I used it. I'm only thinking about switching to an m8 because I'm switching to Verizon from T-Mobile and I think I might want to try something new. Op get the phone that you think you'll be happy with. Both are nice devices.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So. Much. Shade. The s5 is a good phone. I didn't have lag when I used it. I'm only thinking about switching to an m8 because I'm switching to Verizon from T-Mobile and I think I might want to try something new. Op get the phone that you think you'll be happy with. Both are nice devices.

Yep - in the end you're the one using the device.

I just ordered the M8 (currently on an S5) and gonna give it a run.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I used the GPS on my S4 and I wasn't impressed with it. I don't know how much better it is on the S5.I am very happy with my fitbit one.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the S5, the lag, weak speakers and touch wiz are the reasons I went back to the M8. For me the M8 is the most complete package. BTW I also had the Xperia Z2.

Touchwiz lag

My M8 posted this

I honestly have had the S5 for a little and the M8...saw no lag with either phone. Both were wicked fast.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I honestly have had the S5 for a little and the M8...saw no lag with either phone. Both were wicked fast.

I think the lag comes when you are opening apps. For example when you open the gallery it has to open the app and then load and display a preview of all of the albums. I just opened contacts for example and there was a 1/2 second delay the screen came up and then 1/2 second delay before I saw the actual list of names. This is on a totally internal app. I reopened the same app and the second delay was gone.

Keep in mind I own an S5 so there is no way I am being biased. And it's not an animation thing either.

If lag is really a huge problem then we should all just but iPhones. Love them or hate them, apple gives you the most responsive device out there.

If only there was a comparable Nexus device on Verizon right now.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You forgot camera. HTC m8 camera can't compete at 4mp.

For my use of photos, which minimal printing and certainly doesn't include any enlargements, the M8 works great and has actually outperformed my S5 in the "Hey, let me get a quick pic of this" department.

Pure spec to spec, yes the S5 certainly does beat the M8 though.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I know my S5 is a bit slower than my M8 and its not just initially opening an app. When doing a new search in Maps, the keyboard takes longer to come up in the Samsung which doesn't sound bad on paper but when you need to quickly find something, its annoying.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the lag comes when you are opening apps. For example when you open the gallery it has to open the app and then load and display a preview of all of the albums. I just opened contacts for example and there was a 1/2 second delay the screen came up and then 1/2 second delay before I saw the actual list of names. This is on a totally internal app. I reopened the same app and the second delay was gone.

Keep in mind I own an S5 so there is no way I am being biased. And it's not an animation thing either.

If lag is really a huge problem then we should all just but iPhones. Love them or hate them, apple gives you the most responsive device out there.

If only there was a comparable Nexus device on Verizon right now.

I didn't see this while we had the S5. I played with it a bunch and it flew through anything we opened. Didn't have many pictures.. But contacts.. All that.. It worked fine. So I disagree but that's simply because my experience didn't mirror this behavior at all... And no... Buying an iPhone strictly because of a reason like this...? Sorry I base my phone choice on way more than that :).

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
... And no... Buying an iPhone strictly because of a reason like this...? Sorry I base my phone choice on way more than that :).

That was the point to the comment. There is a lot more to the user experience than the amount of lag before you see a response to your inputs. I wonder if the fact that I am running ART has anything to do with the initial lag I see?

Also, as I don't have an M8 I couldn't tell you if the lag is any less on that device. I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos that cover this. I think I'll look at one after I submit this response.

EDIT: I just realized that I always run my S5 with power saving mode on. I turned it off and the 1/2 second delay is further reduced. Still I touch of lag but much better. Almost comparable to my Nexus 7 (2013). I don't really notice any lag during other use. Transitions and swipes, as well as things like text input have never lagged for me even in power saving mode.

Last edited: