Just purchased new Factory Unlocked M8 - A few newbie questions

sashapave

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up an unlocked m8 (used) and have a few newbie questions.

- I'm trying to get it setup on AT&T LTE, but can only get it to connect to HSPA+ using many different APN settings including this one

Any ideas here for enabling LTE? I have a nano sim that was activated on another LTE phone and works well. I also called AT&T to add the IMEI of the unlocked M8 which they said they did.

- I've reset it through the settings menu, although the power + down volume button on boot doesn't work. Is it normal that the button combo doesn't work?

- I seem to be missing some settings, such as "fastboot"

- BlinkFeed seems to be stuck in Chineese and I can't change the language. Plus the location doesn't seem to work under the clock, it just says "My Location"

- The Lockscreen has a chinese symbol just under the time.

It's all very strange, I'm new to unlocked phones. Is there a simple way to revert it to some kind of default factory version of the OS?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What you have definitely isn't a typical unlocked M8 as purchased from HTC. LTE should work out of the box on AT&T (the unlocked and dev phones are the AT&T SKU), and that about screen's all wrong. Whatever it is, it ain't stock.

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
You my friend are running a custom Rom, I first noticed that when I saw the blue battery %. Your best bet is to download a stock RUU and execute from your computer.

Posted via Android Central App

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Wow, a device pre rooted custom recovery installed and running a custom ROM why can't all phones come like that (guess so Samsung can't add touch wiz to it)

Maybe try going into recovery and looking for a back up of the stock ROM?

Posted via Android Central App

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thats not a custom rom , You have the Asian Model M8. The best thing to do is get the CID and that will let you know what Model you have.
Boot into fastboot mode and in a cmd prompt type this " fastboot getvar cid "

sashapave

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone, sorry for the radio silence. Turned out to be a fake HTC M8. I was duped on CraigsList but luckily the person I purchased from was nice enough to work out a refund. Don't see that every day.

I have to admit, it was a really good fake.

Watch out for Craigslist scammers everyone. I dodged a bullet with this one, but others might not be as lucky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12