Charge Up time

ninohayzues

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
How much time does it take for your HTC M8 to fully charge up from being dead or very close to it?
I think I am experiencing slow charge up from my wall charger and I am just curious what the average time is.

Hpibmx10

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Maybe around 2 hourse but yea let's right now I have got 5%
I'm gonna use it I guess till it's full.
If taking really long try turning on airplane mode and let it. Even WiFi off it.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Haven't charged from dead to full in a while but from low to full (5%) took about 2-3 hours. I'm basing this time of an app and it hasn't been wrong.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys tried higher amps, like 2.1 or 2.4?

I use a 2.1A, but it's the phone that determines the amount of current to pull and higher amperage chargers won't charge any faster than a stock one. They have their benefits, but not for charge times.

I'm getting about the same charge times as the others reported here when letting the phone idle. If I'm using the phone, or have something like the BOINC app that's processor intensive running, then my charge times go up significantly. The phone pulls around 1.5A total, so the more power needed for phone operation, the less power available for battery charging. You can see this in the various battery apps that can show charge/discharge amperage. When the phone is in use, you'll notice the charging amperage goes down.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
BOINC +1

WIth the phone OFF charging from dead to full charge 2-4 hours. With it on while your both sleeping, 3-4 hours.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I use a 2.1A, but it's the phone that determines the amount of current to pull and higher amperage chargers won't charge any faster than a stock one. They have their benefits, but not for charge times.

I'm getting about the same charge times as the others reported here when letting the phone idle. If I'm using the phone, or have something like the BOINC app that's processor intensive running, then my charge times go up significantly. The phone pulls around 1.5A total, so the more power needed for phone operation, the less power available for battery charging. You can see this in the various battery apps that can show charge/discharge amperage. When the phone is in use, you'll notice the charging amperage goes down.

However, the M8 can handle higher amps as we will see when they come out with the quick charge 2.0...

So I assume that right now, a 2.1 or 2.4 would charge the M8 faster than the stock 1.5 even without the circuitry that they say will be needed in the adapter.

I was just curious if anyone has timed it yet. I can't get my battery to wear down for testing. :)

R

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
However, the M8 can handle higher amps as we will see when they come out with the quick charge 2.0...

So I assume that right now, a 2.1 or 2.4 would charge the M8 faster than the stock 1.5 even without the circuitry that they say will be needed in the adapter.

I was just curious if anyone has timed it yet. I can't get my battery to wear down for testing. :)

R

I haven't specifically timed it, but like I said, my observations are on par with what others are reporting on here even with a 2.1A "standard" charger. A couple other things: my battery apps also report estimated charge times similar to the other posters, and I get the same results of charge times and current readings as I do on the stock OEM charger. It's obvious the phone isn't pulling any additional current through that charger.

So why would a QC2 charger need a special chip to tell the phone what it is? Even though it's the phone that determines how much current to pull from the charger, the OEM charger is rated at 1.5A, so the phone self limits to that at max. Why HTC made it that way instead of a stronger standard/tablet style charger is anyone's guess, but it is what it is and the phone has to respect that. For The phone to draw more power than the charger can supply would burn out the charger very quickly. So the phone needs a way to determine when a stronger charger is being used. Hence the special chip, circuitry, or whatever QC2 compliant chargers use to "talk" to the phone.

My guess on the reason on all this is due to the myriad of aftermarket chargers out there. Many of them aren't even rated strong enough for the phone as it is. Many people don't know about the requirements, they just see a USB port and think they can plug in and charge anything. So if they allowed those extra high charging rates out of the box, not only would it increase the cost of the phone (due to the included stronger stock charger), but would make most other chargers incompatible and potentially dangerous by being over worked. So the compromise in terms of cost, convenience, and liabilities could be default to a lower charge rate, and only allow the higher rate if a complaint charger is connected so you know it'll be able to handle the task. The USB cable may also need to be compliant, like with heavier gauge power wires to handle the additional current. That's just speculation on my part, though.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
This being said I am seeing more standardization out there... 5v supplies with different ports for android and apple, as well as power banks, etc.

I just bought an Anker quad port wall charger and also their 24w car charger with two ports.

Very cool stuff...

I have the poweradd 12000 mah bank and love the differently rated ports for the different devices.

R

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX