Case or no case on HTC One M8?

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So I bought a case w/ kickstand and clip and I accidently dropped it while on kickstand.
Long story short I was worried about it's durability after the fall so they sent another one but it had a flaw.
Now I had dropped the original while it wasn't on the phone. With a bit of tape on a small thin part (hence the need of tape) and it's fine.
For the most part it can do it's job, but wondering,
Should get a better on even if it's not the same or go w/o case?
Or just stick with this one with it's flaws?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So the case with the kickstand is broken? I had to read your post a few times to understand it!

Fwiw, I have ordered a skinomi 'skin' for when I want to use the phone without any added bulk but without it being naked. I also ordered a crystal clear case so that you can still see the phone when its protected. Hiding the Gold anodised rear is a crime :)

I think I should be covered for all bases -
Skinomi - added grip with rubberised finish and some protection when laying the metallic rear on a table.
Crystal clear hard case - 'proper' protection but without hiding the beauty of the phone (might be slippery, we'll have to see).
Stock silicone soft case - 'proper' protection with additional grip.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I now go sans case. Phone is too hot to cover up. But I do use a glass screen protector.

Posted via Android Central App

What do you do with your phone that it gets hot?

I find this phone is much much cooler than the droid razr maxx I just moved from.

It would get really hot while navigating and playing music in the car.

R

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
OP...

To case or not to case is up to you, your surroundings, and what is important to you.

If you don't travel, the need for a case is reduced.
If you love the design and don't want to cover it up, look for a TPU clear case or ghost armor just to prevent scratches.... Or go naked.
If you have good insurance on your phone, the need for a case is reduced.
If you don't have a history of dropping your phone, the need for a case is reduced.
If you are NOT on the Edge program or whatever the payment/leasing plan is called for your carrier, your need for a case is reduced. (If you need to return the phone at some point, the appearance and condition of the phone may be assessed.)

I think that covers most of it, other than dust and water resistance, but most cases do not help you all that much here.

R

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
if you want a phone that gets hot, try and One X! That thing got damn hot. But even then I had it in a casemate case. It was only when it was fail to charge that I would remove it from its case to aid cooling. But this was a condition that was only met when in the car when the phone was being used as a satnav (screen on, full brightness, GPS etc) .

The M8 stays significantly cooler.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Now I had dropped the original while it wasn't on the phone. With a bit of tape on a small thin part (hence the need of tape) and it's fine.

Picture shows what I meant in this part

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1404922727016.jpg
    1404922727016.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 181

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The whole case situation is always so difficult when I first get a new phone. Only had my m8 a few days. Started without case then put on the free one from the box (I'm in the UK). Just taken the case off again and omg this thing is so nice caseless. I really don't think I can case it but then one drop and I'll soon regret that! When I had iPhones I used to use a pouch to protect it when carrying then remove it to use it. Worked well but not hugely practical to quickly use the phone. Might look at that option for my m8 though

Posted via Android Central App

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have to use a case, I'm always on the go in my profession. I dropped it once while working, luckily it was carpet lol.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I just put a clear skin on the back and it gives me enough grip that I haven't dropped it in the 3 months of owning it. I like being able to see the brushed metal.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
When I first got the M8 in April, I bought a case. However, I only used it for 2 or 3 weeks. I've been going naked ever since. The phone is so much more enjoyable without a case. It looks far better and doesn't have nearly as much bulk. Of course, I'm consciously more careful since I don't have a case (e.g., I hold it a little tighter when walking on pavement).

Mailman44

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I had it in a clear case for the first couple weeks. But although it was a clear case it still robbed the phone of its beauty. So I started using the case only when I was out and about. Then I decided to put a clear skin on in hopes it would add some grippiness to it because man this is one slippery phone and I do not have the confidence to never drop it.

I got a skinomi. It does add a little more grip. Is there a better skin out there that adds even more grip? Does anyone know which skin adds the most grip on the back?

enloeeagle

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm similar to several of the other posters.

I've had my M8 for about a month and I mainly use my case when I'm moving around. If I'm gonna be somewhere for a while, I'll take the case off because this phone is WAYYYYYY too beautiful to be covered up. (I have the red version from Verizon, and man, does this thing turn heads!)

But it is an extremely slick phone, so I do exercise extreme caution when using it without the case.

JibbaJabba10

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have this case:

Exact Case (Same as SUPCASE)

It's very thin and light and almost feels like no case on the phone. Had the case on for a month and on the back of the case can see scratches where I put phone in and out of my pocket. These would have been scratched into the back of the phone. So I am happy I have this case on ! :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon red version and yes, it's one sweet looking phone. Sadly, my work environment necessitates using a case, so I got a red Supcase II. Someone on here was asking me about how bad the reds clashed between the phone and case, so I figured I'd upload the pics to this thread for everyone to see. There is a little clashing, but it's not bad in my opinion. The case is more of a strawberry red compared to the fire engine red of the phone.

What bugged me more is the slightly diffused texture on the back of the case. You can still make out details like color and the logos, but it sure dulls the look (you can see the difference in the close-up of the camera lens). In the end, it's function over form for me, and the case works well with decent looks and not much bulk.

These were the best pics I could get. I had to use my old phone's camera for the pics, and it has a hard time with reds. The colors in these pics may not be 100% accurate, but hopefully gets the point across. The one taken of the bottom edge is probably the best for comparing the phone and case colors.

Attachments

• 1405023222655.jpg
    1405023222655.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 1405023237382.jpg
    1405023237382.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 118
  • 1405023245065.jpg
    1405023245065.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1405023252794.jpg
    1405023252794.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 116

enloeeagle

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon red version and yes, it's one sweet looking phone. Sadly, my work environment necessitates using a case, so I got a red Supcase II. Someone on here was asking me about how bad the reds clashed between the phone and case, so I figured I'd upload the pics to this thread for everyone to see. There is a little clashing, but it's not bad in my opinion. The case is more of a strawberry red compared to the fire engine red of the phone.

What bugged me more is the slightly diffused texture on the back of the case. You can still make out details like color and the logos, but it sure dulls the look (you can see the difference in the close-up of the camera lens). In the end, it's function over form for me, and the case works well with decent looks and not much bulk.

These were the best pics I could get. I had to use my old phone's camera for the pics, and it has a hard time with reds. The colors in these pics may not be 100% accurate, but hopefully gets the point across. The one taken of the bottom edge is probably the best for comparing the phone and case colors.

HOORAY FOR THE RED ONE! (no pun intended)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
What you really need for a phone like this is a metal case with a heat transferring gel foam material. Like the heat conducting gelmat cases and pads for ultrabooks, only covered with an aluminum shield.

Most of the metal cases I see are called 'armor' and use nasty conventional foams that trap the heat inside.

But I getcha on the caseless aesthetic. I just found my Moga Pro and easel stand again, but it turns out the Moga Arm (specced 82mm) is an exact fit for my Flex (81.6mm), almost like LG took it into consideration....? I plan to stay caseless and if I really bang it up I'll put a skin over it later. And yes, keeping insurance on it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis