Emoji support

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys, less because I want to use them and more because I think it should let me if I want to, how do you get emoji's to send correctly via text without using a 3rd party messaging app. Is it even possible? On mine and all my friend's Android phones, it shows up locally on the device in the text box but then goes through as the diamond question mark icons. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One M8

DKatman

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you are tackling this from the wrong angle. What makes you think you have the problem? You need to look at the device that doesn't recognize the emojis. You aren't having problems sending them. They can't receive them.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I think you are tackling this from the wrong angle. What makes you think you have the problem? You need to look at the device that doesn't recognize the emojis. You aren't having problems sending them. They can't receive them.

Exactly, it varies on what Android they're running or if its not an Android, how dated is the receiving phone. I have several friends who can't receive them BC their phones basically doesn't support them unless its an iPhone.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, it varies on what Android they're running or if its not an Android, how dated is the receiving phone. I have several friends who can't receive them BC their phones basically doesn't support them unless its an iPhone.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

What do you mean by unless it's an iPhone?

Posted via Android Central App

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
In reply to all,
It's not just the phones I send to, it's receiving them on my phone too. I have the standard smiley ones and the watch one which seem to be built into Sense or whatever. But anything else, despite displaying just fine when I enter them and send them, will be the diamonds with question marks if someone sends the exact same ones to me.
This is the case on my M8, my friend's M8, my girlfriend's M7 running Sense 6, and Galaxy S5, Moto X, and another M8 of other respective friends.

Same exact thing for all of them. The emojis display for the sender in their messaging app when they type and send them, but not for the recipient.

Sent from my HTC One M8

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
To clarify further, the same result is achieved regardless of what keyboard is used. It's just particularly confusing to me since all these phones are running the latest version of Android, or close to it, and we've tested making sure we all have the same keyboards installed, it just doesn't make sense that we can see the outgoing ones but not the incoming.

Sent from my HTC One M8

lyriciss

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As do I, but regardless of what keyboard I, or others, use, the recipient never gets them.

Sent from my HTC One M8

not exactly sure what's up then. my girlfriend, who has a Galaxy S4, receives my emojis, as well as sends them to me, no issues at all.
also my manager, who has an iPhone 5s, can see the emojis i send, as well as i can receive the ones he sends.
my emojis also show on social media.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
not exactly sure what's up then. my girlfriend, who has a Galaxy S4, receives my emojis, as well as sends them to me, no issues at all.
also my manager, who has an iPhone 5s, can see the emojis i send, as well as i can receive the ones he sends.
my emojis also show on social media.

And that includes the ones that aren't just in the :p :) :( :D kind of category?

Sent from my HTC One M8

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered the problem. Apparently Sprint + Google Voice integration with my number = no sending or receiving emojis. It's unfortunate and kind of pathetic that they can't figure out a way to fix this, but I'll take the awesome Google Voice integration over emojis.

Sent from my HTC One M8

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey odd. I have no problem sending or receiving them. Where did you get your phone?

Posted via Android Central App

Are you on Sprint? I saw some forum postings to which Sprint care had responded. It's an issue with Google voice in some way breaking emojis when it's integrated with your Sprint number.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1