Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
07-25-2014 12:02 AM
51 123
tools
    would tasker however cause wakelocks and increase cpu usage than therefore kill more battery life?

i have another issue, something was keeping my phone constantly awake for a ridiculous period. i was sleeping for about 6 hours and the phone dropped at least 20-30%. usually i charge when asleep but this time i decided to charge to 100 then let it be. now this standby time is ridiculous!
    Nope. I have been running Tasker for a while and it doesn't cause wakelocks. It can, but it also depends on how you set up tasks and profiles.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    07-21-2014 03:39 PM
    I always turn off my mobile data and wifi at night, saving battery life

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
    But I shouldn't have to. Never did on iPhone.
    07-21-2014 03:58 PM
    But I shouldn't have to. Never did on iPhone.
    Its not really more that you have to, you can. I will admit, I turn on WiFi when I am home, but that isn't to save battery but data.
    I have easily gone 15/16 hours per charge. I could probably go longer if I charged and unplugged right before going to sleep, but oh well.. Lol

07-21-2014 04:09 PM
    I get around 1 day and 12 hours to 2 days on a charge. I also dont use my phone at all times of the day as much as others do. I also never run with battery % number being shown as it starts to make me paranoid about whats happening to my battery every time it drops 1% when Im barely doing anything. I just know I easily get 1 day with moderate to heavy use.
    07-21-2014 04:17 PM
    I get around 1 day and 12 hours to 2 days on a charge. I also dont use my phone at all times of the day as much as others do. I also never run with battery % number being shown as it starts to make me paranoid about whats happening to my battery every time it drops 1% when Im barely doing anything. I just know I easily get 1 day with moderate to heavy use.
    Yeah I get about a days worth. I don't let it run to zero so maybe that's why I'm so paranoid!
    07-21-2014 04:23 PM
    Its not really more that you have to, you can. I will admit, I turn on WiFi when I am home, but that isn't to save battery but data.
    I have easily gone 15/16 hours per charge. I could probably go longer if I charged and unplugged right before going to sleep, but oh well.. Lol

Does WiFi use me battery more than mobile data?
    07-21-2014 04:24 PM
    Does WiFi use me battery more than mobile data?
    Other way around. WiFi is easier on the battery.

07-21-2014 04:33 PM
    Other way around. WiFi is easier on the battery.

Think my phone doing a search for 3G continuously I'd what kept it awake thenn. But full on awake. ?
    07-21-2014 04:38 PM
    What service do you have? Correct me if I'm wrong but if a phone has to search for a mobile data connection frequently that can put a nice amount of strain on the battery.
    07-21-2014 05:57 PM
    Think my phone doing a search for 3G continuously I'd what kept it awake thenn. But full on awake. ?
    Not really a wakelock, but a good indication of why battery drain is so excessive.

07-21-2014 06:19 PM
    What service do you have? Correct me if I'm wrong but if a phone has to search for a mobile data connection frequently that can put a nice amount of strain on the battery.
    My house is quite old so the materials are more or less prime for blocking most mobile data signals. Only just got a WiFi router capable for penetrating (ha that'd what she said ) the walls get more diverse WiFi around the house.
    07-21-2014 06:23 PM
    Not really a wakelock, but a good indication of why battery drain is so excessive.

I did get rid of Facebook messenger than as soon as that happened the awake time more less dropped until I actually used the phone.
    07-21-2014 06:24 PM

It's a shame. I wonder how the average consumer would respond to this.
    07-21-2014 06:24 PM
    My house is quite old so the materials are more or less prime for blocking most mobile data signals. Only just got a WiFi router capable for penetrating (ha that'd what she said ) the walls get more diverse WiFi around the house.
    Well that seems to be one issue that leads to a quicker battery drain, does your phone drain quicker in or outside of your home? Or did you not pay so much attention to it?
    07-21-2014 06:27 PM
    Well that seems to be one issue that leads to a quicker battery drain, does your phone drain quicker in or outside of your home? Or did you not pay so much attention to it?
    To be honest recently I haven't had any major battery drains. I was just making sure I was getting what was advertised and nothing more. But this morning unused the phone for about an hour and a bit maybe more. Didn't use it for about 3_4 hours and the battery drained from about 91 to 65. Concerning and that'd when I saw the phone continuously awake with a Facebook messenger notification for that time frame. Take away Facebook. Active time is gone. But didn't have that issue till today. Shame as I use messenger a lot.
    07-21-2014 06:33 PM
    Ahh I see, well just use the regular FB app and avoid messenger and then problem solved, lol
    07-21-2014 06:36 PM
    Can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet, but:

Modern Android devices such as the HTC One m8 have an overcharge protection built in that is not advertised. What this does is when the battery reaches 100%, it actually stops charging and allows the battery to drain a few percentage points, WITHOUT letting the user know. I mean, can you imagine the uproar if people thought their phone wasn't charging correctly?

Basically, your phone will always do this and it is why it seems like your phone uses 10% of its battery life in just under an hour. Maybe even 40 minutes.

However, it balances out at the end of the day. Basically, if you want to see what its like from exactly 100%, you have to watch the phone hit 100% as it charges and then pull the charger out.

However, this protection is pretty smart. Last I read, I believe HTC allows it to do down to about 94% before reconnecting the charge and allowing it to charge again to 100%. Then the process starts over. Again, the user cannot see this occur, for obvious reasons, but it is there.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-21-2014 06:53 PM
    Can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet, but:

Modern Android devices such as the HTC One m8 have an overcharge protection built in that is not advertised. What this does is when the battery reaches 100%, it actually stops charging and allows the battery to drain a few percentage points, WITHOUT letting the user know. I mean, can you imagine the uproar if people thought their phone wasn't charging correctly?

Basically, your phone will always do this and it is why it seems like your phone uses 10% of its battery life in just under an hour. Maybe even 40 minutes.

However, it balances out at the end of the day. Basically, if you want to see what its like from exactly 100%, you have to watch the phone hit 100% as it charges and then pull the charger out.

However, this protection is pretty smart. Last I read, I believe HTC allows it to do down to about 94% before reconnecting the charge and allowing it to charge again to 100%. Then the process starts over. Again, the user cannot see this occur, for obvious reasons, but it is there.

Do you have access to an article to support your claim ? It sounds viable just wanna read up on it more.
    07-22-2014 12:24 PM
    Ahh I see, well just use the regular FB app and avoid messenger and then problem solved, lol
    I've had a bad experience with the Facebook app in the past. The problems of a social media addict. does the regular app have a reduced wakelock activity ?
    07-22-2014 12:26 PM
    Do you have access to an article to support your claim ? It sounds viable just wanna read up on it more.
    It's actually more to do with Li-ion technology than Android. Pretty much any article on charging them, be it phone or other use battery, will mention that the batteries are very sensitive to overcharging. So when the battery is full, the charger completely cuts off until the level drops below a certain threshold. Then the charger provides a "topping charge" to fill it again. This would happen even if the phone was shut off and the batteries were self discharging as normal.

It stands to reason that if phone manufacturers showed the true level and it going down while on the charger (extraneous circumstances like defective battery or high heat excluded), it would be a PR nightmare. The average consumer doesn't understand how the technology works, so it's just easier to fool them by manipulating the battery meter a bit.
    07-22-2014 01:20 PM
    I just picked up a one m8 and am very concerned with the battery life I'm getting.
    Is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails HTC One M8 Battery issue!!!-9086.jpg  
    07-22-2014 07:39 PM
    I just picked up a one m8 and am very concerned with the battery life I'm getting.
    Is this normal?

You just got the phone of course you're gonna be on it 24-7. And you're screen is on for a lot of that time. Charge it when it gets to about 30 40 after a week or so you'll a vast improvment. A) you'll get used to the phone and you'll take your eyes off it and b) the battery will kind of adapt to your usage. I tend to to use the power saver mode after about 50 just in case. By the end of the day I've got about 30% that's lots of music. Email on auto sync. Plus YouTube on WiFi at home and when I go out a mixture of 4G and 3g. Give it a week
    Mmstick101 likes this.
    07-22-2014 08:06 PM
    Alright thanks. I admit that I can't seem to put the thing down.

07-22-2014 09:11 PM
    Alright thanks. I admit that I can't seem to put the thing down.

10 days after mine neither can I ! Truly is a great device. I don't even want to use my computer anymore !
    07-23-2014 10:44 AM
    I was having the same issue with my M8 - I would be at 30% battery after leaving work at 5 pm, when I'd barely been using it since I'd gotten up at 8 am. I found out that the culprit was that I kept my data and my wifi on while I was at work - so it was constantly searching for wifi to connect to. I have low service at work, so the contant search for service was another thing that was bringing the battery down. Now it's 2 pm and I've had my phone on since 8 am, and the battery is at 80%. Such a difference!

All you have to do is turn off your wifi if you're not using it, or even turn your phone into airplane mode if you're in low service so your phone isn't always searching. I'll turn off my data too when I'm not using it so I don't use it up. Also, disable any apps that you don't use (ex: I don't use Hangouts and it was always using a few percentages of my battery every day, so now I've disabled it).
    07-24-2014 12:44 PM
51 123