HTC One M8 Battery issue!!!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet, but:

Modern Android devices such as the HTC One m8 have an overcharge protection built in that is not advertised. What this does is when the battery reaches 100%, it actually stops charging and allows the battery to drain a few percentage points, WITHOUT letting the user know. I mean, can you imagine the uproar if people thought their phone wasn't charging correctly?

Basically, your phone will always do this and it is why it seems like your phone uses 10% of its battery life in just under an hour. Maybe even 40 minutes.

However, it balances out at the end of the day. Basically, if you want to see what its like from exactly 100%, you have to watch the phone hit 100% as it charges and then pull the charger out.

However, this protection is pretty smart. Last I read, I believe HTC allows it to do down to about 94% before reconnecting the charge and allowing it to charge again to 100%. Then the process starts over. Again, the user cannot see this occur, for obvious reasons, but it is there.

Posted via Android Central App

muzia1

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet, but:

Modern Android devices such as the HTC One m8 have an overcharge protection built in that is not advertised. What this does is when the battery reaches 100%, it actually stops charging and allows the battery to drain a few percentage points, WITHOUT letting the user know. I mean, can you imagine the uproar if people thought their phone wasn't charging correctly?

Basically, your phone will always do this and it is why it seems like your phone uses 10% of its battery life in just under an hour. Maybe even 40 minutes.

However, it balances out at the end of the day. Basically, if you want to see what its like from exactly 100%, you have to watch the phone hit 100% as it charges and then pull the charger out.

However, this protection is pretty smart. Last I read, I believe HTC allows it to do down to about 94% before reconnecting the charge and allowing it to charge again to 100%. Then the process starts over. Again, the user cannot see this occur, for obvious reasons, but it is there.

Do you have access to an article to support your claim ? It sounds viable just wanna read up on it more.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have access to an article to support your claim ? It sounds viable just wanna read up on it more.

It's actually more to do with Li-ion technology than Android. Pretty much any article on charging them, be it phone or other use battery, will mention that the batteries are very sensitive to overcharging. So when the battery is full, the charger completely cuts off until the level drops below a certain threshold. Then the charger provides a "topping charge" to fill it again. This would happen even if the phone was shut off and the batteries were self discharging as normal.

It stands to reason that if phone manufacturers showed the true level and it going down while on the charger (extraneous circumstances like defective battery or high heat excluded), it would be a PR nightmare. The average consumer doesn't understand how the technology works, so it's just easier to fool them by manipulating the battery meter a bit.

Mmstick101

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a one m8 and am very concerned with the battery life I'm getting.
Is this normal?

Attachments

• 9086.jpg
    9086.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 15

muzia1

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a one m8 and am very concerned with the battery life I'm getting.
Is this normal?

You just got the phone of course you're gonna be on it 24-7. And you're screen is on for a lot of that time. Charge it when it gets to about 30 40 after a week or so you'll a vast improvment. A) you'll get used to the phone and you'll take your eyes off it and b) the battery will kind of adapt to your usage. I tend to to use the power saver mode after about 50 just in case. By the end of the day I've got about 30% that's lots of music. Email on auto sync. Plus YouTube on WiFi at home and when I go out a mixture of 4G and 3g. Give it a week

laurenwm

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my M8 - I would be at 30% battery after leaving work at 5 pm, when I'd barely been using it since I'd gotten up at 8 am. I found out that the culprit was that I kept my data and my wifi on while I was at work - so it was constantly searching for wifi to connect to. I have low service at work, so the contant search for service was another thing that was bringing the battery down. Now it's 2 pm and I've had my phone on since 8 am, and the battery is at 80%. Such a difference!

All you have to do is turn off your wifi if you're not using it, or even turn your phone into airplane mode if you're in low service so your phone isn't always searching. I'll turn off my data too when I'm not using it so I don't use it up. Also, disable any apps that you don't use (ex: I don't use Hangouts and it was always using a few percentages of my battery every day, so now I've disabled it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay