M8 Owners - I need your advice!

alexbowers

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm ready for a new phone, I'm coming from a Lumia 720 (Never using WP again) and I'm deciding between the S5 and the M8, the M8 ticks all the boxes (and those Boomsound speakers are amazing) but I need some perspective on the camera.
Basically, I need to be able to take photos good enough for Facebook (so to be viewed on a computer or phone screen).
I'll also be going overseas next year with some friends, so it needs to take photos that I can send home via FB and take the occasional selfie with friends.
Is the M8 a good choice? Or should I go for the S5
Thank you in advance!

skeezix1970

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I never understood the complaints with the m8 camera... My wife has the galaxy s4, and my camera blows hers away!
Go with the m8, you'll love it

Posted via Android Central App

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
bigben.jpg

Went to London last month and took great pics with my M8. Of course the attached pic has a little enhancement but you get the picture.

dlrogers81

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I definitely recommend the M8 as well. I'm actually impressed of the camera, even compared to my wifes S5.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
M8 is great, I have no complaints with the camera and the boomsound is amazing. Very happy with my choice!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Now if you haven't already, go to the S5 forum and ask them the same question. Just to see if you get different answer... ;) Love my M8....

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes the camera is fine for what are wanting to a certain extent.
You won't be doing100% cropping of far away landscape shots,but for social media it is fine.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
For your needs, the M8 camera would actually be really great. Especially at night/lower lit areas.

I assume you're going to take a proper camera to take some great shots on your holiday, so for a camera phone to post on FB and selfies, I don't know if there would be a phone better than the One M8. Selfies on the phone are amazing with the 5MP front-facing camera and selfie mode make your selfies really quite good.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
For your needs, the M8 camera would actually be really great. Especially at night/lower lit areas.

I assume you're going to take a proper camera to take some great shots on your holiday, so for a camera phone to post on FB and selfies, I don't know if there would be a phone better than the One M8. Selfies on the phone are amazing with the 5MP front-facing camera and selfie mode make your selfies really quite good.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

The camera is great. Just can't use the zoom or crop much. I find myself actually walking to get the closer shot, and the pictures usually turn out great. The low light shots are the really good.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
What you should take away from this thread is simple. The camera on the M8 is great ....But...

That is the most telling thing. The "but" If you only plan on using the phone for your trip, it will serve you fine. If you want your phone for longer than that, get the S5 and never have to worry about the "but". The camera on the S5 is much better and you never have to worry about the potential shortcomings, of anything on the phone

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What you should take away from this thread is simple. The camera on the M8 is great ....But...

That is the most telling thing. The "but" If you only plan on using the phone for your trip, it will serve you fine. If you want your phone for longer than that, get the S5 and never have to worry about the "but". The camera on the S5 is much better and you never have to worry about the potential shortcomings, of anything on the phone

The buts are minimal for what the op is asking about.

For his stated purpose,it is more than enough to accomplish what he's asking about.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
But it is not even close to best the best tool to the job that the OP has set out to accomplish. That would be the G3 or S5, in that order.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But it is not even close to best the best tool to the job that the OP has set out to accomplish. That would be the G3 or S5, in that order.
And the debate starts.

And really it's not a debate. The OP has really already made his decision, pending insight into the camera and whether it will do the trick for what he has specifically asked as Facebook photos and selfies, and the M8 is more than qualified to do both of those things well. I would argue from what I've seen between the s5 and the m8 that the m8 takes better selfies than the s5. Just my opinion though.

OP - in an attempt to be objective, the one quirk that gets me about the m8 is if you have a light source in the photo more times than not the phone will completely blow out the image because of that light source. If you can keep the direct sun out of your images you will have no problems with taking photos on this phone.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes images on a sunny day with bright light in the scene are a downfall of the camera but you can tweak it if u go into the setting's. For everything else it's fine, in fact sometimes even very good especially indoors. Better than my nexus 5 was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude