Why the HTC One M8 is THE best flagship of 2014

rubytuesday007

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I've been pretty determined to find the ideal android phone for myself. I have an iPhone 5s that I use for about a week then switch over to Android for a few months, then back to iPhone. So, over the last 6 months I've tried the following android phones:

1. HTC One M8
  2. Sony Xperia Z2
  3. Moto X
  4. Galaxy S5
  5. Samsung Note 3
  6. Nokia 1020
  7. OnePlus One
  8. LG G3
  9. Oppo Find 7

Below, I will outline why I didn't keep that particular phone and discuss the pro's and con's.

Sony Xperia Z2 - This phone almost made the rotation, and to be honest, is probably the most well balanced phone among the bunch. The hardware is great: camera, battery, screen, waterproof, are all in line with the best. The software is ok and one of the better skinned versions out there. If you have some aversion to the M8, this would be my choice. The main reason I didn't keep it is I am fully annoyed with the doors covering the charger. Yes, I know there is a dock capability, but I didnt get it and I charge it too much during use for a dock to be all that useful. I hate having to pull open the door every time I want to charge. I'm a pretty heavy user, and charge the phone when I'm at my desk or in the car. So that's a lot of opening and closing the door. This is one of the main annoyances of being waterproof (Same issue with the S5).

Moto X - Love this phone. To be honest, I have bought and sold this phone 5 times. I keep going back to it. Love the active notifications and do miss them with the M8. The software is great due to the fact it's as close to stock as you'll find in a skinned version of Android. The primary reason I am not keeping it is the form factor and hardware. It's certainly fast enough, but the camera is just ok. Battery life is just ok. 4.7 inches just isnt quite big enough to be honest. For anyone that likes a smaller footprint or is switching from iPhone to Android, this would be my recommendation. I just like a bigger phone.

Galaxy S5 - This one for me comes down to software. I hate Touchwiz. Also, as mentioned with the Z2, the waterproofing is an issue for me. The camera is great and the software is snappy. If they did a GPE and made it not waterproof, this is the phone I would get. The size and form factor of this phone are pretty decent, however, it feels cheap and the plastic back is kind lame. Got rid of this phone after about a week of use.

Samsung Note 3 - There isnt much I like about this monster. Did I mention I hate touchwiz? For all the reasons I didn't like the S5, it is just as bad with the Note 3, sans the waterproof door. I guess I just don't like Samsung.

Nokia 1020 - Ok...I know it's a Windows phone, but this is a pretty amazing OS and hardware. I love so much about Windows Phone and honestly, if my life wasn't invested in Google, this would be my phone of choice. Amazing hardware, camera, screen, etc. Using Google, and the lack of maps, is a real problem for me. I use maps on a weekly basis. To check traffic, to find places, even to just get phone numbers. I really missed Google Maps. Gmail, calendar, Google Plus, all suffer on Windows OS. Nuff said.

OnePlus One - But for the pain in the arse invite system, this would be a definite contender. Oh, and the yellow band on the bottom was a deal killer for me. Got my invite and was pretty stoked to get it. Great form factor, amazing screen, good battery life and the back is so cool. The texture is like velvet, and is very nice in hand. For those that don't know about the yellow band on the bottom of the screen Google it. Needless to say, I couldn't get past it and don't have another invite. The lower quarter of the screen has a yellow tint to it. It's most noticeable when looking at a white screen. Instant pass for me. If I get another invite, I'll likely buy it again to see if they've address the yellow band. If not, I will return or sell it.

LG G3 - I really wanted to like this phone. The form factor is the best of all large phones. Nearly no bezel and feels great in hand. The screen is pretty nice and detail is amazing. Text kinda stunk for me and I am an avid reader on my phones. In low light, the black text looks washed out. The screen needs to be at near full brightness to see it. The OS is pretty lame, although I hear, better than the G2. I think the problem with this phone lies in the fact that the processor is a bit underpowered for the screen resolution. It was just laggy and sluggish. I just don't think QHD has been fully evolved. I think the G5 or the M9 will likely have perfected a QHD screen. This was a pretty quick pass for me, although, as I said, the form factor is far and away the best out there.

Oppo Find 7 - Nearly identical form factor to the Oneplus One, the Find 7 is a pretty cool phone. The quick charging is incredible. You can fully charge the phone in about 30 minutes from zero battery. The main downside to this phone is the ColorOS. Second worst to Touchwiz, I just couldnt get used to this OS skin. The QHD, like on the G3, just isnt ready for primetime. You need to turn up the brightness and honestly, I think the M8 has a better screen. Another quick pass for me.

HTC One M8 - I've bought and sold this phone 3 times. Why? The camera. I think this phone has the best hardware, best screen, best skinned version of Android. The CPU is snappy and the screen is amazing. The speakers and boomsound are incredible. I really do like Sense 6 (hated all previous sense skins) It's got great volume and the phone is the best phone to hold in your hand, the metal chassis is amazing. I get great battery life out of the m8. What I've finally learned about the M8 is the camera needs a little more attention than point and shoot. If you properly set up the camera and shot, you can get amazing shots with this camera.

As MKBHD said, the GPE version of the M8 is his go to phone. I personally have the Developer Edition of this phone and have rooted and put Mike1986's amazing stock ROM Android Revolution on it. With Xposed and some of the pretty cool tweaks, I have my version dialed in. I have pretty much rooted every phone I've ever owned for Android and yet, this is the one I will be sticking with. As mentioned in all of the phones above, most of my nit picks are on the hardware side, since I can just install a custom ROM if needed. The M8 is an amazing phone and with a little tweaking, is my daily driver until the M9 comes out or another phone maker decides to challenge this phone. Based on my experience this is what the perfect phone would look like:

The form factor of the LG G3, the screen, speakers, and metal material of the M8, the camera of the Nokia 1020, the rapid charging of the Oppo Find 7 and GPE for the software. If you can make a phone like that, you'd have a winner in my book.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
You either have too much money or are abusing returns policy.

Posted via Android Central App
I go through the average of three phones a year so the number of phones the OP doesn't really surprise me. There are some of us that like to dabble in technology and having more than one phone is a must. With that being said, the M8 is keeping my phone craving at a minimum because it's that good. Next up for me will be the Next Nexus and yes, the next iPhone.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Good comparison.

Everyone has different needs,wants and desires,and so if they are able to,after some time they gravitate to to the phone that supplies them with the best blend of all 3.

Most people though don't have the resources to do this,and are stuck with something that isn't living up to their satisfaction.

I pay close attention to what my friends and coworkers say about their phones,and then try them out to see for myself.

The M8 for me is the best blend of a phone I have ever had in my hand.It does enough well enough,that I don't have to spend a great deal of time on to tweak it to be my daily driver. The screen is awesome and I have no issues reading or viewing it. That is especially important to me on a smaller screen. The sound quality is phenomenal,both on the speakers but also with earphones.

Yes the camera is disappointing to some extent for many people,but this isn't that important for me as much as everything else it brings to the table. The phones inherent qualities far more make up for this.

I would much rather have a phone that excels as a phone,than as a camera or tablet.

Sure there are better cameras on different phones,and most certainly bigger screens with smaller bezels but if using a protective case,that aspect becomes moot. If you're needing a better camera,why limit yourself to a phones camera when there are better cameras available for a small price,just for the sake of convenience?

I'm a mechanic by trade,and so take a practical view of all this. I choose the right tool for the jobs on hand. The Swiss army knife approach may be what many people want or need,but I am not forced to do this luckily.

I've learned in my life's travels that you always try to prepare for the unexpected,and having a great phone with me that does as good a job as what this phone does eliminates a lot of worry. Taking along a dedicated camera while not as convenient, allows me to not worry about being limited to using a mobile phone camera which can never do as much as I may need for a once in a lifetime shot.

Bragging rights for how good a camera a mobile phone is,is to me a Swiss army knife approach,same for water proofing and humongous screens,they each have their place,and have their benefits,but are no substitute for adequate planning.

While the M8 doesn't have what many people want in a phone,it does have what I need.It does everything I need it to do for my lifestyle and that is all I can ask for.

What it isn't is a substitute for a better dedicated land camera with underwater capabilities nor a substitute for a tablet for easier reading or viewing movies or cruising the web. If I have a need for these things I use a better solution for that.

This phone is reviewed so well because it does everything it is supposed to as well as it does,while being housed in a package that looks as good as it does.

If you want a Swiss army knife of a phone that is the be all of all phones,keep looking because this phone is lacking in many cases for these special needs,but like you it works better than most for a phone,feels better than most and sounds better than any.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone cravings have died down but I'm pretty happy with my current Note 3 and S5...both unrooted with Nova Prime. I'd like to spend some time with a G3 so who knows.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read.

Of course the claim of 'X is the best phone' is completely subjective. The things you like about the One may not be a big deal to others.

Speed and UI smoothness is so important to me. For whatever reason, I just cannot stand when there are stutters and hangs in the UI, so that immediately knocks out the Galaxy S5, LG G3 and Xperia Z2. Even the minimal amounts of stutter they had wasn't good enough for me. If there are Android phones out there as smooth as the Nexus 5 and HTC One M8, then I expect all other flagships to be at that level of response, fludity and smoothness. And I mean out of the box. No rooting, no flashing, no excuses.

It also helps that I find Sense aesthetically appealing, more so than the other UI's.

Then there are the other perks of the phone, the screen/build/speakers/camera etc.

I think the camera is really good, however I don't think it's perfect and I think other flagship phones outperform the One's camera in certain situations. I don't think the other flagships do low light as well as the One, but then I don't think the One does well lit areas and broad, wide shots as well as the other phones. The 4MP camera unfortunately does struggle when you need large amounts of detail.

Camera aside, I don't think any Android OEM is doing anything as good as HTC are. In my opinion, Sense is the fastest and prettiest software, has the best phone design, best build, best materials, best speakers, best (?) screen, great battery life (among the best I believe) etc. The One to me is the best overall phone experience. And there's no way I'd trade it in just for a better camera in day light.

Only the Nexus 6 and HTC One M9 interest me for my next phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Its weird. Many computers/laptops have some lag ...a lot more than any phone I've come across recently. Even many cars have some ...lag...when you step on the accelerator. I guess I've become desensitized to the any micro-waiting I experience while working with my android devices based on all the other equipment with "lag" that I use in my life. Now, my 32GB iPhone 4 with iOS 7? The lag there is unbearable and shouldn't even be legal. It was nearly criminal for Apple to infect that phone with iOS7 without warning customers of the upcoming experience.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Non-objective post is non-objective and to be take with a grain of salt...if that much

My comparison of what I have had is objective.

If you feel that what I posted is to be taken with a grain of salt or even less OH WELL..

I've been around Android since before Cupcake with a real good assortment of different phones on 3 different carriers,and know what I am talking about.

This phone outshines them all on most everything. I can also agree with others who state Sense 6 is excellent,and there is no real compelling reason to"have to " root and run a custom Rom on it,only personal preference reasons why.

While some can say I am biased for the phone,that isn't exactly true.I'm a fan of any phone that gives me as good of performance and ease of use.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a OnePlus One last week and it arrived today. No yellow tint issue @ all. thanks for making me feel good as that was the only bad thing you said about it. So isn't that the best one considering its $200+ less than the M8

MDMdean

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Another good thing with the M8 is that they're crazy durable, I have an M8, and I'd rather not say who , but someone (ME -_-) Stupidly took it out of it's case to clean and then dropped it on cement! But it barely did anything, all that was there was a scratch and 2 or 3 minor chips in the paint! And I'd had it 2 weeks lol but it's sstill running beatifully today, and i'm more careful now.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My comparison of what I have had is objective.

If you feel that what I posted is to be taken with a grain of salt or even less OH WELL..

I've been around Android since before Cupcake with a real good assortment of different phones on 3 different carriers,and know what I am talking about.

This phone outshines them all on most everything. I can also agree with others who state Sense 6 is excellent,and there is no real compelling reason to"have to " root and run a custom Rom on it,only personal preference reasons why.

While some can say I am biased for the phone,that isn't exactly true.I'm a fan of any phone that gives me as good of performance and ease of use.

Unless the OP is an alt of yours, I was not referring to anything you have written, but that the OP is not objective.

Outside of the camera, the M8 is a good phone. I like it a lot and really love the way Sense has evolved.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I mostly enjoyed the M8 but the camera was nigh unusable to me. Now, before anyone says that it's good enough, my last two phones were a Lumia 1020 and 1520 which are known for their phenomenal cameras and it's certainly not that I don't toy with the settings enough, it's just a subpar camera for a flagship phone. I loved the way it felt in hand though.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Unless the OP is an alt of yours, I was not referring to anything you have written, but that the OP is not objective.

Outside of the camera, the M8 is a good phone. I like it a lot and really love the way Sense has evolved.

Nope were not the same and I apparently misread your comments... Sorry about that.

Posted via Android Central App from my HTC M8