Is there a texting alternative?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I took my M8 from ATT to T-Mobile recently. T-mo insisted that the device would work fine but I cannot send or receive attachments (pics) via text. This only started when I began w/ T-mo. Their tech support looked into it as far as they can and they're claiming it's the device's fault. So, my question is, is there another app that I can use for pic messages that might bypass the T-Mobile problem??
Thanks!

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I use EvolveSMS. I haven't tried it with picture messaging but I know it's compatible. But to answer your question, yes. There are various replacement apps. Just install one and then go into settings>more (under wireless and networks) >default sms

Posted via Android Central App

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
If you're rooted you could change the apns just giving him you options the a over post will also work. I've used 88sms before

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I took my M8 from ATT to T-Mobile recently. T-mo insisted that the device would work fine but I cannot send or receive attachments (pics) via text. This only started when I began w/ T-mo. Their tech support looked into it as far as they can and they're claiming it's the device's fault. So, my question is, is there another app that I can use for pic messages that might bypass the T-Mobile problem??
Thanks!

I'm guessing that you're using the same app for texting on T-Mobile as you did on AT&T. Have you gone into settings -> Mobile data -> Preferred Network since you switched carriers? Different carriers transmit in different ways. Regardless of the carrier a lot of people have gotten the best texting performance out of setting their preferred network to Global. If you don't have it set to global you might want to give it a try. Back to your question: Beyond the standard text program (by HTC?) there is also Google's Hangouts. Verizon has its own text messaging system, so T-Mobile may have one specific to service as well. If switching to a different text app doesn't work for you there might be an issue where its still got some of the text system tied to AT&T. In an HTC One (non-m8) thread there were people talking about how their batteries weren't lasting long after they updated to 4.4.2 . What worked to solve the issue for a lot of them was to clear the cache (something recommended to one of them by HTC). Its not the same issue you have, but clearing your cache might prove beneficial to correcting your problem. Here is the post on how to do it in case you want to give it a try:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ife-issue-since-4-4-2-update.html#post3763918

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
can you show us the APN info your using now?
Specifically the line for MMSC - that will control your MMS sending and receiving.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
can you show us the APN info your using now?
Specifically the line for MMSC - that will control your MMS sending and receiving.
APN= fast.t-mobile.com.
MMSC= http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Yesterday, the manager at the t-mobile store entered a new 'APN Type'; default,mms,supl,admin,hipri. He said it should work after a couple hours but text attachments still give "Generic network error, could not send after multiple attempts". However, email attachments are working again (may or may not be related).

I would love any ideas here. Changing messaging apps didn't help. Not being able to send/receive pic messages is creating a number of problems since this is my business phone.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Not being able to send/receive pic messages is creating a number of problems since this is my business phone.

As long as your MMS doesn't work you cannot send pictures (lo-res only, slow, and expensive!) via mobile networks. But you probably still can send pics (hi-res, fast, and free!) via e.g. Instant Messaging, email etc. when you are on WiFi. And WiFi hotspots are available almost anywhere these days.
It's a workaround.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
APN= fast.t-mobile.com.
MMSC= http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Yesterday, the manager at the t-mobile store entered a new 'APN Type'; default,mms,supl,admin,hipri. He said it should work after a couple hours but text attachments still give "Generic network error, could not send after multiple attempts". However, email attachments are working again (may or may not be related).

I would love any ideas here. Changing messaging apps didn't help. Not being able to send/receive pic messages is creating a number of problems since this is my business phone.

That does look right, also open up that new APN and make sure APN Protocol is IPv4. I have had data issues using IPv6.
Another thing, make sure its selected. On my M8 i have a green dot next to the APN that is currently in use.
IF all of the above is accurate the only thing i can think of is maybe its not enabled on the account side of things. Perhaps a call to TMO support to make sure picture messaging is enabled on your account.
From a device stand point it looks like its set up to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC