Should I root

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
I'm new around town, just got my new HTC one m8 a week ago and up until then I was an iPhone user.

My main issue, which I wouldn't even consider - not- rooting my device is the warranty.
What if the battery explode, the CPU goes boom, some chip melts due to overheating, camera mysteriously stop functioning? Is that something worthy of risking?
For a retired iPhone user the flexebility and functionality of Android amazes me as it is!

As an iPhone user (iPhone 4- 3 years of opperation), I jailbroken my iPhone several times and never got a real satisfaction from it. On iOS 7 I just stopped jailbreaking my iPhone since at that time it got so slow, maybe just in comparison to other devises and my opinion, that I didn't really want to touch it too much besides communication.

Today with the HTC one m8 things are a lot different, I use my PC with remote desktop controllers when I'm not home, I can move files by just dropping them into my directory instead of using some aweful designed software which navigating it is a hassle AND! takes waaay too much resources on my awesomely, tenderly built pc.

So what do I do with my phone, mainly I control my pc with it remotely when I'm not near it, sounds sad... lol.
Other than that I don't really play games on my phone, I never was a handheld devices gamer and I don't like consoles since I can turn my pc into a better equipped console and I'm not tied into one side of the market (hell I'm a pirate arrr).
On my android phone which I really like I mainly use to organize stuff, record classes, take some pics, order my pc to download something or que some process and stuff like that. Other than that what is the point of rooting?

Briking the phone is really nothing I'm conserened about, I'm 1337 😀

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
That pretty much answers my concerns.
Besides nit rooting, am I missing out anything I can do with rooting? Is there anything for me, by what I described myself as a phone user that I would enjoy risking it and root?

Posted via the Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't. Now a days android is very customizable without rooting. Judging by your post I would hold off, at least for now

Posted via Android Central App

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
So.. Apparently no one from the rooted side has put their 2 cents in.. I suggest root. I have rooted 100s of devices (I provide a rooting service in my PC repair biz) and have NEVER had any issue that you've stated a fear of. (Not that these things can't happen) but what's the warranty really doing for you? Helping you sleep? Knowing full well they will still slam you with a fee for any claim made.. No seriously.

Pros: Umm knowing exactly what your device is sending/receiving to Google (among others less conspicuous). Being able to view flash media! Lol just to name the drop of water in the ocean of possible improvements!

Sorry to say.. But that warranty is just a piece of paper.. I ripped it up the day I got my s3/s4's. (metaphorically speaking aka root and recovery) ohhhhh recovery! The fact you can backup the device like time machine on a Mac. Complete control. Anything you want. It is yours after all.. Why should you not have access to it?

Cons: .... .... Ummm... Try not to throw it at the wall. ... Uhhhh... Ya. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm really not trying to single you out.. But that has to be written by the carriers. Lol..

Quote from link... "Root is a user with permission to break things" ...

OK. And it gives the ability to 'fix' stuff too. Just gotta read and don't be an id!ot. It also allows the user to receive content updates. Apply manual patches/fixes to core system files that Uncle Sammy left us either half working or not fully implemented at all. Root is like a windows PC guys. Just don't delete your system32 folder. Duh.

Example. My s3 now supports hover controlls. How? Easy root and run a simple 'root' application. The camera runs as a sensor and now when my hands are dirty or whatever.. I can use my phone without actually touching it. ;)

Or how about my s4? OK as I type I and the dev team I'm in.. Are working on a fix for the lack of svdo. OK.. I had bad signal on the newest baseband.. Well.. I'm rooted.. So I simply flashed an old one.

Physical difference? 105-110 dbs. Now after going back to old baseband. 90-95 dbs. Speedtest.net confirms the difference. Equal to a difference of 8mbps!
Root man.. You'll never look back.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not trying to single you out.. But that has to be written by the carriers. Lol..

Quote from link... "Root is a user with permission to break things" ...

OK. And it gives the ability to 'fix' stuff too. Just gotta read and don't be an id!ot. It also allows the user to receive content updates. Apply manual patches/fixes to core system files that Uncle Sammy left us either half working or not fully implemented at all. Root is like a windows PC guys. Just don't delete your system32 folder. Duh.

Well I have/do root my phones and I've also had phones replaced for free by the manufacture that were not rooted.

Is there a point to root your phone if it already does what you want it to? Just to say you've rooted?

Personally if the op is new to android I would use it to it's potential first. When he/she needs something more than consider it

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I just see he asked for any pros and cons.. Didn't see any. Just people saying don't root. Lol. I agree with this opinion. Although. I think he should know what he's missing out on. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Root access is able some very useful tools for a few very specific tasks. Here's my litmus test: if you're asking any is the following:

What is root?
Should I root?
How do I root?

Then the answer is no. If your question is more like, "I need to root for (insert valid reason), should I use methods A, B or C?"

Obviously the second user has a different use case and knowledge level. If you're asking for help, help exists. If you're asking whether or not you ought to, there's no reason to do it.

I'm deeply familiar with the methods and benefits and risks of root, recoveries, ROMs and still have some modified devices - but my main two drivers are both unlocked and not rooted.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I just see he asked for any pros and cons.. Didn't see any. Just people saying don't root. Lol. I agree with this opinion. Although. I think he should know what he's missing out on. ;)

I agree with you too... There are a lot of pros to rooting, some negatives as well though.

I'd just say try android first.... If you find it lacking them dabble with the idea of rooting

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
WHAT!!!!! I can lose my warranty if I root, isn't that the ROOT to all evil? LoL I rooted my phone just 3 days after I got it. But I like to change roms, do this and that and I am happy now. But that is me. I also sent my phone in to repair the camera, it came back unrooted, s-on and with a locked bootloader. (It was still sim unlocked though) But I didn't even think twice about sending it in. If they had started it up, it would have shown that it was soooo rooted... Instead of seeing the AT&T screen, they would have been greeted with the ViperOne logo. LoL But I think they just unpacked it, hooked it into a computer and installed the latest OS on it and then fixed it. Without even starting it up. As far as the OP is concerned, I would not root right now, till you get a bit bored then wan to start playing around. If you can tweek it now, with a custom room you can tweek it even more. Get s-off and you can overclock it, (make it faster) make it heat up faster that way too. Underclock it to make it last longer on one charge. But if it works for you, then keep it the way it is and have fun....

DrExK

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
last time, rooting was popular because the mod people do a better job at optimizing RAM usage and getting rid of bloats. However, these days, phones come with huge RAM and the OS is better at managing resources, so there is no need to root and mod anymore.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
I'm new around town, just got my new HTC one m8 a week ago and up until then I was an iPhone user.

My main issue, which I wouldn't even consider - not- rooting my device is the warranty.
What if the battery explode, the CPU goes boom, some chip melts due to overheating, camera mysteriously stop functioning? Is that something worthy of risking?
For a retired iPhone user the flexebility and functionality of Android amazes me as it is!

As an iPhone user (iPhone 4- 3 years of opperation), I jailbroken my iPhone several times and never got a real satisfaction from it. On iOS 7 I just stopped jailbreaking my iPhone since at that time it got so slow, maybe just in comparison to other devises and my opinion, that I didn't really want to touch it too much besides communication.

Today with the HTC one m8 things are a lot different, I use my PC with remote desktop controllers when I'm not home, I can move files by just dropping them into my directory instead of using some aweful designed software which navigating it is a hassle AND! takes waaay too much resources on my awesomely, tenderly built pc.

So what do I do with my phone, mainly I control my pc with it remotely when I'm not near it, sounds sad... lol.
Other than that I don't really play games on my phone, I never was a handheld devices gamer and I don't like consoles since I can turn my pc into a better equipped console and I'm not tied into one side of the market (hell I'm a pirate arrr).
On my android phone which I really like I mainly use to organize stuff, record classes, take some pics, order my pc to download something or que some process and stuff like that. Other than that what is the point of rooting?

Briking the phone is really nothing I'm conserened about, I'm 1337 😀
As far as rooting goes, I myself own a Nexus 5 undoubtedly the device with most to offer with Custom ROMs and kernels and I rooted this device the day I got it, and realized...it's not worth it anymore.

I used to root my previous devices because I either didn't like the laggy UI or wanted more customisation but Android has matured to a state where it barely needs anymore root tweaks and after a day of using a Custom ROM on my Nexus, I reverted back to Stock.

The HTC One M8 with the amazing Sense UI doesn't really need rooting as it is one of the more polished devices out there, in both hardware and software.

Plus HTC has also promised that HTC One M8 will get Android L 90 days after it is publicly released.

So no need to root, you aren't missing out on anything. But if you like the Stock Android UI, go on the Google Play Store and search Google Now Launcher and Google Camera they are very fast and since they are made by Google themselves they are very stable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In terms of tweaking the look and feel, I'll leave that to others to debate if it's worth rooting for that. I've personally never felt the need to go that route. That's not to say there aren't good reasons to root. If you'd rather use Titanium Backup instead of other options like Helium, you'll need root. I've found a root required app that could reduce screen brightness below the stock minimum and is better functionally than a "screen tint" app. Wakelock Detector now also needs root access in Kit Kat, which can be a useful diagnosis tool. Root also lets you get around the SD card issues if you don't have a stock file explorer that lets you do so without root.

I'm sure there's other good reasons for rooting that aren't simply aesthetic changes. Alone, one of those reasons may or may not be enough to warrant rooting for you. Once they start adding up, then rooting becomes a more worthwhile option. I still wouldn't do it right away. Spend time with the phone in stock form and see where you may or may not want to make changes. If it looks like rooting and more is something you want to tackle, just make sure you educate yourself thoroughly. Not just the process of rooting, but also how to revert to stock and deal with potential brick issues. Accidents happen and you want to be prepared to handle them before you start, not frantically trying to figure it out after it's too late.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
If I read correctly someone had posted before the one reason not to root right away is HTC guarantees the screen and phone for 6 months and give you a hard time if you root and file a claim.
I have had the M8 for a few months now and don't feel any need to root, I like the setup and don't feel like taking the time to flash and tweak and repeat after every update. The main reason I rooted was to tether twice a year on long trips so my daughter could use her Nexus 7. Now I feel she can use some disconnected time so no real loss.
Also as far as a warranty I have Sprint and I don't think they care if the phone is rooted.

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok I've read all you had to say,
My personal reason to root is only to be able to move files from internal memory to external sd memory.
Other then that I don't see any other reason to root, and I assume its not a good enough reason to risk briking or void warranty, which may come handy due to factory issues that may appear in the upcoming months. Also the hassle, I got enough hassle in my life other then taking care of my phone, my phone's part in my life is only to annoy me when I study with notifications, interrupt my sleep in the morning and thell me to go to work and stuff like that. I'm nkt a fan of customization, and I'm not tied to my phone all the time.

Another point is that I buy a new phone only when my old one died. Breaking this one so early would be really a waste if time and money by my part.

Moving files across internal - sd is an easy solve with a pc.

Thanks for the opinions and opening up some interesting options, I do believe I'll root but not on such an early experience with my Android phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
oh.. yeah.. thanks for pointing out the notifications.. those can only disappear with root. I have none. adaway.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol