Needs Messages Read Aloud on HTC One M8

judgenot

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I know there have been some posts about this but the answers seem to be contradictory. At least in my experience. I have the HTC One M8 and want to be able to hear my new text messages over bluetooth(headset) while driving. I have tried car mode on my phone but it does not read back messages. Is there a simple solution to this problem? As a side note I have Tasker and wouldn't mind if I had to use that in order to accomplish such a task.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Read text messages in car

The moto assist app on the moto x does this.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Read text messages in car

Nothing really helpful in that forum that I could use but thanks anyway.

Dragon Mobile Assistant? After installing, go to the Dragon Settings page and tap Notifications. Check "Display SMS Alerts"

Tap "Read out notifications", turn it on, and be sure Incoming text messages is checked.

Exit to your SMS app and send yourself a text (or have someone else do it). It should pop up on your screen with a microphone icon. Tap the microphone and Dragon will read the name of the sender and the content.

If you enable "Driver Mode" texts are read automatically without the need to touch the screen at all.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This app is your answer. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.tryagent&token=5ZNlrsB-

Does exactly what you want. Automatically detects when you connect to your car's Bluetooth (or whatever bt you specify, doesn't have to be a car) and reads texts out loud. It can also detect if you're driving using sensors and can prompt you to respond by voice to texts as well. The app does some other really awesome stuff too and is very configurable. Very well designed and works flawlessly.

judgenot

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This app is your answer. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.tryagent&token=qOrAMO-H

Does exactly what you want. Automatically detects when you connect to your car's Bluetooth (or whatever bt you specify, doesn't have to be a car) and reads texts out loud. It can also detect if you're driving using sensors and can prompt you to respond by voice to texts as well. The app does some other really awesome stuff too and is very configurable. Very well designed and works flawlessly.

Have not yet been able to fully test it but the app seems very promising. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted via Android Central App HTC M8

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a LG Tone Plus Bluetooth headphones. It has a app BT Reader that reads messages thru the headphones, although i have found when I am in the car it does read them thru the cars speakers.

I can try some of the apps suggested just to see if they work w/o my headphones

pimpownzu

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the same phone, you will need to install an app to do this.
I've been using DriveSafe.ly, which does what you're asking.

Here's it's features from it's site.
Reads your text messages and emails out loud in real time
Hands Free - No need to touch the phone while driving
One-touch activation - no complicated setup
Bluetooth and radio transmitter compatible
Reads text message shorthand (lol, brb)
Optional customizable auto-responder

Alex Smith14

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I find it strange they did away with the txt read features it was standered on some of the really old phones I had like the voyager and the env before that it just seems like a good idea to stop people from trying to read them while driving I'll definitely check out those apps

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a LG Tone Plus Bluetooth headphones. It has a app BT Reader that reads messages thru the headphones, although i have found when I am in the car it does read them thru the cars speakers.

I can try some of the apps suggested just to see if they work w/o my headphones

I found that if you go into Bluetooth settings for the headphones and uncheck the Media option it will read the sms ou tloud through the speakers of the phone. Pretty cool.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01