is it really necessary to buy a protective case?

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
With the metal body, one might think a protective case would be less important. Especially since it would add to the weight/size.

But then there's the screen. It's still vulnerable.

It made me think the E8 might be a better choice (if, you can get it).

Do you think it's important to have a protective case for your phone? What kind did you decide on?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The M8 is a lot more slippery than the M7 from what I have heard because of the sides not having the plastic. The added weight and size actually make it more prone to damage since it hits the ground harder than a lighter, smaller phone would. And of course, the metal still gets dinged and scratched fairly easily, so I'd still recommend a case if you tend to be more clumsy with your devices ;)

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I dropped mine when it was a couple of weeks old onto a patio from a couple of feet and smashed the screen.
I bought a case after that and even though I dropped (actually threw it when I lost my balance) the replacement phone onto tarmac the case saved it from any damage at all.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I use a case on all my phones and a glass screen protector too.

I wear my m8 in a Sedio Surface case on my belt. It takes a lot of bumps,scrapes,and falls,and it is still pristine.

I want it protected,but still usable,and thin.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A TPU case absorbs shock. I've seen a lot of phones without a scratch, perfect screen and case, but not working because of a crack in an internal component - caused by dropping the phone just right (wrong?).

Considering that a cheap TPU case is around $10, and even a nice looking one with a holster is less than $20, it's a cheap investment in protection.

Of course if you never drop the phone more than half an inch onto a flexible surface, it's a waste of money. But a 2" drop to the end grain of a piece of hardwood can damage the insides of a phone.

(Engineering rule of thumb - design for worst case. While I don't encase my phone in a 3" thick diamond case, in case it gets dropped into a garbage compactor, I do have a $13 TPU case on it.)

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's a must, but I'd really consider it. I was running earlier & my phone was in my left hand & I snagged it on my shorts & it fell a good couple feet & bounced several times, landing face first. I thought my phone would be through. I picked it up & no damage what's so ever. My tech21 impactology case absorbed it all. The case is fine as well, I'm using a case every where I go unless I'm home.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you're worried about it scratching or damaging on a fall, definitely get a case for it (or use the one provided by HTC in the box).

I personally don't use one. I have an office job so it sits on my desk mostly and I love the feel of the metal build in my hand when I use it. Granted if I do drop it one day and it breaks, yeah I'll feel bad, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I say that it is absolutely necessary. As others have pointed out, the metal on the phone is slippery.

I know that when I bought my M8 back in March, that at first, I was going to go without a case until I could get the SUPACASE that I liked, but as soon as I got in my car and started playing with it, I noticed that it was very slippery, so I went back into the store to buy a cheap case for the phone that I could use until I got the case I wanted.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Think of it as insurance for your phone. Sure no body wants to intentionally damage their phone. So your chances are higher of breakage with no case.
Spend 10 bucks or so for a cheap TPU case and you now have greatly reduced the risk of physically damaging your phone.
The cost of sending in a phone for repair, then paying for the repair far out weighs any inconvenience you might get by having a case on it.
Or you can look at it my way, i like my case to have a kickstand. So now i have a kickstand and as an added bonus i now get a case to protect my phone.

And as other people have mentioned, it helps reduce the daily wear, thus improving your re-salve value over the long run. So there are many angles to look at it.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine on my driveway without a case, right after I got it. Now I have a small rough spot on the bottom whether it nicked. I was lucky not to have a more serious damaged phone, but now I don't go naked ever, that was a close call, and that imperfection nite just bothers me so much...

Posted via Android Central App

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I say that it is absolutely necessary. As others have pointed out, the metal on the phone is slippery.

I know that when I bought my M8 back in March, that at first, I was going to go without a case until I could get the SUPACASE that I liked, but as soon as I got in my car and started playing with it, I noticed that it was very slippery, so I went back into the store to buy a cheap case for the phone that I could use until I got the case I wanted.
It's absolutely necessary if you have a history of dropping devices. If not, then it's not absolutely necessary, especially if you're used to not using cases. But for the mere fact that you ask the question, you may already have your answer.
I've never used cases. I've never dropped a device either.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Nor did I until the first time ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App

And you never know how they will handle a drop. I dropped my RAZR Maxx HD 8 feet on to concrete, a small ding on the side. Dropped it less than 3 feet on dirt, shattered the screen. Which is why I now have an M8.

Posted via Android Central App

Dominic Asamoah

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
This is the case I have been using since I bought the phone 4 weeks ago. I wanted the beauty of the phone to be shown. It's a very light matte plastic with a velvety outer feel.

Attachments

• 20140821_174231.jpg
    20140821_174231.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20140821_174259.jpg
    20140821_174259.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Nor did I until the first time ;-)

And you weigh the risk factor. I've been driving for 20 years and have never been in an accident. But I have insurance just in case.
Noone ever gets into a car accident until the first time. Does that mean you stop driving your car? Of course not.
Cases might be necessary for a mobile device if you're prone to dropping devices or you're paranoid. Necessity varies from person to person. Absolutely necessary? That's a personal call.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If I happen to drop my device and it gets dented, I'm good as long as it operates properly. It's not a fashion accessory like my ring. It's a tool for me. And I use it as such. It's not one of my children or a loved one. If that drop causes performance damage, I'll utilize my insurance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1