HTC M8 answering in pocket.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Every time I have my M8 in my pocket the screen lights up and when I go to pull it out of my pocket it answers. I have the setting answer call when against ear off. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a lock pattern?

If not add one and see if it keeps happening

Posted via Android Central App

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you also have your motion gestures turned on? Because you might be accidentally unlocking your phone when you slide it into your pocket because of the motion gestures.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It's driving me nuts. Tried everything the screen keeps turning on in my pocket. When I put the phone against my ear during a call the screen turns off so proxcimity sensor works fine.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It's driving me nuts. Tried everything the screen keeps turning on in my pocket. When I put the phone against my ear during a call the screen turns off so proxcimity sensor works fine.

Are you saying its doing the opposite of the Auto answer calls feature? Instead of turning on when lifted to the ear - it turns off? :confused:

Do you have Fastboot enabled? If so try disabling it, turn off your phone (not restart) for ~3 minutes, and then power it back on to see if you still have the problem.

Have you recently updated the software (OS) on the phone? If you have the clear cache procedure may clear up the problem. Its overall a good troubleshooting method for when things start behaving weirdly regardless. Here is how to do it:
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Down key.
Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on.
Continue holding the Volume Down.
Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen.
Press the Volume Down key once to move the cursor from FASTBOOT to RECOVERY.
Press the Power key to begin the wipe.
The device displays the bootup screen followed by a phone with a red triangle.
Press the Up Volume key and Power key at the same time.
Press the Down Volume key three times to select Wipe cache partition.
Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
Wait until the phone displays Cache wipe complete.
Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
That's odd, I had never experienced that before, but my custom is put the up side down in my pocket.

I do the same thing, but I've had mine turn on in my pocket, for no reason. I have to check my photos every so often to see if I've taken any pictures of the inside of my pocket. I'm up to 8 so far. 😲

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying its doing the opposite of the Auto answer calls feature? Instead of turning on when lifted to the ear - it turns off? :confused:

Do you have Fastboot enabled? If so try disabling it, turn off your phone (not restart) for ~3 minutes, and then power it back on to see if you still have the problem.

Have you recently updated the software (OS) on the phone? If you have the clear cache procedure may clear up the problem. Its overall a good troubleshooting method for when things start behaving weirdly regardless. Here is how to do it:
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Down key.
Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on.
Continue holding the Volume Down.
Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen.
Press the Volume Down key once to move the cursor from FASTBOOT to RECOVERY.
Press the Power key to begin the wipe.
The device displays the bootup screen followed by a phone with a red triangle.
Press the Up Volume key and Power key at the same time.
Press the Down Volume key three times to select Wipe cache partition.
Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
Wait until the phone displays Cache wipe complete.
Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.

Will this erase the info or apps on the device? Thanks

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm saying screen turns on when in my pocket and I receive a call. I assume it uses the proximity sensor when in my pocket to prevent screen to turn on hence why I tested it against my ear.

I do not have fast boot on I turned off phone for 3 minutes also tried clearing cache and still the same problem.

As you know to answer a call you need to swipe up the answer icon. As I am pulling it out of my pocket my pants are sliding the answer hence and answering the call. So annoying.

Can I please ask that some other guys test to see if yours lights up in your pocket upon receiving a call?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me and it's not just the M8. My Bionic phone did it as well. So I'm thinking it's an Android thing, not really a brand specific issue and I've never found a way to stop it.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
HTC helpdesk advised to do a hard reset.

Given the situation you and Mooncatt describe I don't think that will do you any good. One (troublesome) way that could solve the problem is to make sure you're always putting your phone in your pocket the other way (so when it swipes across you leg it swipes down instead of up. You could put the phone in your pocket facing the other direction, but then you bring the possibility of breaking the screen (like some others have done) should you bump or collide into something with that part of your leg. Aside from that you could get a phone holster/belt clip (eliminating the pocket), or get a case with a cover or flip for the front of the phone. Finally you could experiment with a couple of other launchers that would allow you to swipe in a different way (instead of up) to unlock or answer your phone.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My mate has the same phone just tested it and does the same thing screen lights up when in pocket and receive incoming call. My wife's iphone does the same thing.

RicanoR

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Every time I have my M8 in my pocket the screen lights up and when I go to pull it out of my pocket it answers. I have the setting answer call when against ear off. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

I am having this same issue with my M8. I've turned off gestures, call auto answer...has anyone figured this out?

Thanks

Raul

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan