New HTC One M8 replacement - worse battery life than previous. Why?

Pandawan

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I returned my HTC one M8 for an exchange since the top speaker was crackling. I was getting great battery life with this one. I charged it to 100% before bed and then disconnected the phone overnight starging at around midnight. I'd wake up at 8AM with ~92% battery life remaining. I backed up my HTC one m8 before getting the replacement, and restored everything when I got the replacement. I haven't changed any settings, or downloaded any new apps since I performed the backup restore but now my battery just plummets overnight. Now it goes from 100% at midnight to 67% when I wake up at 8AM. This is a HUGE change in battery life that I was not expecting. I figured that the same model should have similar battery life to what I was used to. I know not EVERY phone is going to be the same but this difference is HUGE.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you show us some battery screenshots? Charge up to 100%, then let it drop to 20-30% with normal use, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (that shows Cell Signal Strength and total Awake time).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category (to see Time Without Signal).

In the meantime, try wiping the cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ow-reboot-into-stock-recovery-htc-one-m8.html

Pandawan

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I'm not very tech savvy, but what will wiping the cache partition do? I'd just like to know what I'm doing to my phone before I actually do it.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It clears out old temporary system data, some of which can occasionally cause odd system problems. It does not erase any personal data. Just make sure you pick "Wipe Cache Partiition," and not "Wipe Data/Factory Reset."

Pandawan

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ah OK, I'll go ahead and try that. I won't be able to post that screenshot until Saturday after using it that day. I have terrible service at work and the battery just kills itself trying to constantly search for signal. Today I put it in airplane mode at work and it still drops 35% from 9AM til 5:30 PM. I'm thinking of just turning it off at work tomorrow.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I backed up my HTC one m8 before getting the replacement, and restored everything when I got the replacement. I haven't changed any settings, or downloaded any new apps since I performed the backup restore but now my battery just plummets overnight.
Any ideas?

What exactly did you backup and restore? Did you just do the basic backup of contacts, messages, and pictures, or did you backup, and restore the entire phone (with a 3rd party app)? If you only backed up the user specific basic files I'm not surprised your getting different battery life (since settings weren't backed up).
Either way B. Diddy's suggestion to do a system cache clear is a good recommendation. I could see a full restore having similar effects to a OS update, and system cache clears solve a lot of problems for people after many of them experience negative OS update after effects. (Most commonly battery life issues).

Pandawan

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Signal at home isn't bad. I'm not sure why, but it can very from day to day and time to time. Generally, it's decent.

Also, I tried wiping the cache following the directions you posted. I couldn't get to the screen shown in the last picture.

"5. You will get a screen similar to the No Command screen like in the Nexus devices. Press and hold Volume Up and click Power."

After this part the screen just shows that red Triangle with the Exclamation. It stays this way for a few minutes and then the phone just restarts on it's own.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The red triangle screen is the No Command screen. Did you do the button presses at that screen?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Pandawan

May 25, 2014
Visit site
What exactly did you backup and restore? Did you just do the basic backup of contacts, messages, and pictures, or did you backup, and restore the entire phone (with a 3rd party app)? If you only backed up the user specific basic files I'm not surprised your getting different battery life (since settings weren't backed up).
Either way B. Diddy's suggestion to do a system cache clear is a good recommendation. I could see a full restore having similar effects to a OS update, and system cache clears solve a lot of problems for people after many of them experience negative OS update after effects. (Most commonly battery life issues).

I backed up everything with HTC backup. It restored all of my apps and settings (supposedly), contacts, messages. HTC said that it would retain all of the previous settings and from what I can tell nothing has changed from before.