HTC One M8 extremely buggy

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all!

First off: i'm new here. If i break any rules please be kind.

Okay, i was hoping you guys could help me. Last tuesday or so i upgraded my two months-old HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.3, and from that moment on, my phone's just been horrible. Some of the problems i've been experiencing:

- Phone doesn't vibrate any more. I didn't drop it or do anything out of the ordinary and suddenly (not immediately after the update) it stopped vibrating. It doesn't buzz when receiving calls or messages, neither when i hold the volume down button to put it on vibrate mode, neither when i tried a vibrator app to check if that would work.

- My phone randomly switches into car mode, sometimes even when i'm not actually touching it.

- The screen suddenly starts and stops auto rotating without the function being activated via the menu. Even the homepage rotates and it even goes upside down - something i wasn't able to do intentionally before.

- I'm suspecting my network strength has also gone down. It seems to use 3G/H most of the time while previously i had 4G network coverage everywhere in my city. Not sure of this, though.

My phone hasn't been rooted and if it's possible i'd like to keep it that way. However, my perfectly good and brand new phone has now become a nuisance. Any of you have tips or advice on things to try to fix my phone? I realise the vibrate thing might be an unrelated hardware problem but that would be a case of extreme coincidence. I really hope you guys can help me as i'm pretty desperate. I looked for solutions but while some people seem to have some of the same problems, no-one i can find has them all together and no-one knows a good fix.

Looking forward to your responses!

James

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
most likely if you just upgraded to 4.4.3 you are experiencing a bad build that was sent out, see this thread -

Your problems sound a bit different from others posted, but a factory reset might be in your future...

As you can imagine i want to avoid a factory reset if possible. I spent hours and hours backing everything up and restoring it all when i got my M8, don't want to re-do that again. But of course, if that's the only option i'll try it. My carrier requires you to do a factory reset before accepting a device for repair, so if the vibrate thing is a hardware problem i'd have to reset anyways.

I read the thread you posted before i opened this one. However, i don't seem to be having any of the problems they're facing and a set of completely different ones they're not having, so i decided to open a new thread to keep my post from being overshadowed. In any case, they mention the problem being only for the US update and i'm in Europe.

Thanks for your response!

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, didn't realize you were in Europe, so not the AT&T build that went out. Sorry, I can't really comment further on your issues, hopefully somebody else has some advice for you.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, i was hoping you guys could help me. Last tuesday or so i upgraded my two months-old HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.3, and from that moment on, my phone's just been horrible. Some of the problems i've been experiencing:

- Phone doesn't vibrate any more. I didn't drop it or do anything out of the ordinary and suddenly (not immediately after the update) it stopped vibrating. It doesn't buzz when receiving calls or messages, neither when i hold the volume down button to put it on vibrate mode, neither when i tried a vibrator app to check if that would work.

- My phone randomly switches into car mode, sometimes even when i'm not actually touching it.

- The screen suddenly starts and stops auto rotating without the function being activated via the menu. Even the homepage rotates and it even goes upside down - something i wasn't able to do intentionally before.

- I'm suspecting my network strength has also gone down. It seems to use 3G/H most of the time while previously i had 4G network coverage everywhere in my city. Not sure of this, though.

Looking forward to your responses!

James

A system clear cache (not to be confused with app cache clearing) has been a good way to fix numerous problems without having to resort to resets. Instructions on how to do a system clear cache are listed at the end of this post.
If you haven't already I recommend troubleshooting each thing individually with the methods listed through out the board if the cache clear doesn't work.

To try to fix the auto rotating issue I recommend you recalibrate your g-sensor.

For Car mode I recommend: Go to app manager -> scroll to all -> select Car. Clear cache, clear data, force stop (if that's an option), and you could also temporarily disable it (or permanently disable it if you don't use it and never plan to). Make sure fastboot is shut off, and turn off your phone for a couple of minutes. Then turn it back on and see if the problem still exists.

For the vibration issue turn your volume all the way up to put the sound on, and in your text messaging program unselect the vibrate always option (temporarily pick never). Clear your cache, and force stop in app manager for your text app, and also the phone app. Once again with fastboot disabled reboot or shut off your phone. After the restart re-enable the vibration features and see if they start working again.

For your 3g/4g issue set your preferred network to global (if it isn't already). If your provider provides a (paid) caller name id app, and you don't subscribe to it clear cache, clear data, force stop, and disable it. Like with all the other steps reboot or shut down after making the changes.

System Cache Wipe (doesn't remove any personal files):
Turn off Fastboot if you have it enabled
Turn off your phone
Press and hold the Volume Down key.
Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on.
Continue holding the Volume Down.
Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen.
Press the Volume Down key once to move the cursor from FASTBOOT to RECOVERY.
Press the Power key to begin the wipe.
The device displays the bootup screen followed by a phone with a red triangle.
Press the Up Volume key and Power key at the same time.
Press the Down Volume key three times to select Wipe cache partition.
Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
Wait until the phone displays Cache wipe complete.
Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Wow, thanks!

Okay, i tried everything you said. The car app doesn't seem to open randomly any more, even though i can't be sure of this in such a short period of time. However, vibrate is still not working and the screen still rotates. Do you think these problems are connected or are they seperate?

edit: i noticed a new bug: my screen keeps powering on while my phone is on my desk, unmoved.

Last edited:

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried going to the custom ROM route? Perhaps there's a firmware or software issue with your device at the moment? I believe that's the only way you can troubleshoot the device and determine if it's a hardware or a software issue.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow, thanks!

Okay, i tried everything you said. The car app doesn't seem to open randomly any more, even though i can't be sure of this in such a short period of time. However, vibrate is still not working and the screen still rotates. Do you think these problems are connected or are they seperate?

edit: i noticed a new bug: my screen keeps powering on while my phone is on my desk, unmoved.

They may be connected, or they may be separate issues. Does your vibration fuction also not work for keyboard typing. (Here is how to turn it on and off to test it if you haven't already). On that note are you using the standard keyboard, or something different?
Sense 6 is connected with the vibration and rotation features, so you could try clearing cache, and data on the Sense apps (HTC Sense Input) as well to see if that resolves anything. Like with all the other steps reboot after clearing to make sure it really clears those areas.

HTC One (M8) Support - Touch sounds and vibration | HTC United States
HTC One (M8) Support - Automatic screen rotation | HTC United States

Go into phone and type:
*#*#3424#*#*

That will enter the HTC diagnostic mode. In there put a check in the G-sensor test and vibrator test boxes, and then select the Run button. Do they work in that mode?

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
They may be connected, or they may be separate issues. Does your vibration fuction also not work for keyboard typing. (Here is how to turn it on and off to test it if you haven't already). On that note are you using the standard keyboard, or something different?
Sense 6 is connected with the vibration and rotation features, so you could try clearing cache, and data on the Sense apps (HTC Sense Input) as well to see if that resolves anything. Like with all the other steps reboot after clearing to make sure it really clears those areas.

Go into phone and type:
*#*#3424#*#*

That will enter the HTC diagnostic mode. In there put a check in the G-sensor test and vibrator test boxes, and then select the Run button. Do they work in that mode?

I tried your suggestion. The G-sensor seems to be fine, while the vibrator is unresponsive. Hardware issue after all?

Also, update: without me actually doing anything my phone has now started to freeze and/or reboot about five times a day. Aditionally, Mobile Data won't turn on any more. If i toggle it in the options it stays on "Turning on". So, there's that. I don't have internet outdoors any more. All the other problems have stayed, except for the car app turning on. That hasn't happened in days.

The best phone i've ever had has over the course of a week turned into a complete nightmare. I'm so ******* frustrated about this.

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried going to the custom ROM route? Perhaps there's a firmware or software issue with your device at the moment? I believe that's the only way you can troubleshoot the device and determine if it's a hardware or a software issue.

No, i haven't. I have zero experience with custom ROMs. Won't jailbreaking void my warranty, though? There's a good chance i'll be needing it.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried your suggestion. The G-sensor seems to be fine, while the vibrator is unresponsive. Hardware issue after all?
Also, update: without me actually doing anything my phone has now started to freeze and/or reboot about five times a day. Aditionally, Mobile Data won't turn on any more. If i toggle it in the options it stays on "Turning on". So, there's that. I don't have internet outdoors any more. All the other problems have stayed, except for the car app turning on. That hasn't happened in days.
The best phone i've ever had has over the course of a week turned into a complete nightmare. I'm so ******* frustrated about this.

Boot into safe mode (instructions how to linked below), and test it in safe mode to rule out 3rd party apps being the issue. When exiting safe mode to restart the phone you may want to try a system cache wipe again. (Some people reported wiping their cache 2-3 times in a row solved many of their problems. Don't know why it wouldn't fix it the first time, but you could give it a try).

How to boot into safe mode:
Restart the Device in Safe Mode - The all new HTC One® (M8)

Trrrrrr

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh my god. I tried everything in this topic (except for factory reset) but to no avail. Then yesterday, without me doing anything (i was checking my messages while on my bike) my phone just started vibrating. Out of the blue. No updates, no fixes, nothing. All the other problems seem to have dissapeared as well.

I don't know if any of you fixed it and if so who, but i want to thank all of you for the advice and the thoughts!

anamunshy

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Oh my god. I tried everything in this topic (except for factory reset) but to no avail. Then yesterday, without me doing anything (i was checking my messages while on my bike) my phone just started vibrating. Out of the blue. No updates, no fixes, nothing. All the other problems seem to have dissapeared as well.

I don't know if any of you fixed it and if so who, but i want to thank all of you for the advice and the thoughts!

Pllllz could u tell me if u get any solution i am waiting for u

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay