How has the M8 held up?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm in the process of deciding wether to yet again pick up a G3 ( first two times I had issues) or get a M8.

The M8 seemed like it was made for me. Great build quality, great battery , great performance, and good update support . However , it's that damn camera that's making me hesitant. While I barely take photos, when I do I want them to look as good as they can be. Wether it be conventions I might go to, vacations, when I'm out with friends, or etc. I don't want to have a burden of a bad camera and have it limit what little photo taking I do. That's why I thought maybe the G3 would be the better pick. But I've already returned it twice because I hated that there were dropped frames I'm games and I was nervous it would hold up in the long term due to the tax that screen had.

I also notice a lot of sites seem to be neglecting mentioning this phone now that these new handsets are out. Which makes me worried that the M8 is just getting outclassed right now.

So, I'm curious to hear from those who have had the device a while. Do you regret getting it over something like the G3? Is the camera a deal breaker?

Haseeb Rehman

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If you want a good camera, Get the new note 4. It has amazing camera. Whereas, LG G3 is an amazing device which will be perfectly fine in the long run. M8 is a great device too but I prefer fingerprint scanner, screen quality and overall experience of the device over the build quality only. M8 has a good camera. The G3 is probably better, in my opinion.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
For me, the M8's camera is actually pretty good. I'm not a photographer by any means, and I really mostly upload pictures to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and such (I don't go to Kodak to print them), and the M8 does a pretty good job at that. And in every other department, as you said, the M8 is just superb.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the Camera.. I am a photographer and what I love about the M8 it has a full set of controls.. ISO, WB, Exposure and Shutter Speed, but you need to use it in Manual mode. Dont get me wrong.. it will never relace my Nikon NX1, but its pretty good

Most reviews dont know what theyre talking about anyway.. Just because the number 4 is smaller than 16, then it must be rubbish right?.. Wrong. The flash is very good as well.. instead a white LED, it uses a 2 tone LED to give a natural look.

The only thing I would say.. and its minor.. is that on Auto mode.. the shots can look a little over-exposed, however.. this is easily fixed by dropping the EV (Exposure Value) down by half a stop (from 1.0 to -0.5). Some of the effects and toys in the camera are great fun to play with.. and Im a huge fan of ZOE, plus with your M8 you get 65GB of Google Drive space free for 2 years.. which is great for your photos out and about.

IMO, when you use it properly, its a better camera than the S5.

Look below for my post in the thread "HTC One Now?".. Ive posted an Image

Go for it friend.. just dont watch YouTube reviews.. utter BS.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You actually should be up to 100gb on Google Drive now. M8 recently got 50gb more.

Posted via Android Central App

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
You actually should be up to 100gb on Google Drive now. M8 recently got 50gb more.

Posted via Android Central App
I guess it is not the same on all regions, as I only got 65GB as well, initially it was only 15GB and then got the extra 50GB when I used the redeem button.

Edit:-
hmmm, I just checked my G.Drive on my M8, and it shows that I have 115GB of free space.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Last edited:

IamSavic

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Everything was great til my m8 cracked in pocket bull**** no screen replacement in Canada only had it for 4 months

Posted from the almighty htc m8

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Everything was great til my m8 cracked in pocket bull**** no screen replacement in Canada only had it for 4 months

Posted from the almighty htc m8
And how exactly did it got cracked in your pocket?! Perhaps you can share more info. about it so that others can avoid having the same problem.

Sent from my HTC One M8

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried the G3 for two weeks after using the M8 for 5 months and have gone back to the M8. While yes the camera on the G3 was nice (and the main reason I tried it) the M8 offers a much better experience in the day to day. Sense is smoother and more refined than LG's OS and the extra width of the G3 made reaching corners with one hand almost impossible.

Not only that but the screen just looks washed out compared to the M8. While yes it has a lot of pixels it just doesn't look as vibrant as the M8's screen. Not to mention the battery life on the M8 is much better. Sure you can swap the battery on the LG but I don't like having to carry things with me.

Build materials are also much nicer with the M8. It's hard to explain but the M8 just feels like a premium phone. The speakers are also much better than the tiny bassless G3's single rear speaker.

I will say I really was impressed with the camera on the G3. It took some of the best pictures I've seen with a smartphone. I have two young children so I do take a lot of pictures. However, the low light performance wasn't as good as the M8. If you're just viewing photos on your phone or tablet I think either camera will satisfy.

I also didn't know how quickly LG would update their phone to Android L. HTC has a great tract record with their updates and the 6 month screen replacement is a bonus.

It's worth trying both phones but for me the M8 is the complete package. The camera isn't as bad as tech sites make out and using it is a pleasure.

Oh and I kind of got used to having Blinkfeed. I didn't realize how much I used it until I moved to another phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Oh and as far as people only talking about newer phones - that's just the nature of the industry. The M8 is still considered one of the best (if not the best) android phones you can buy.

Posted via the Android Central App

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat as the op. I've sold my note 3 and need to get a new phone asap. I've had the s5 and the z3 but really didnt like them (z2 felt noticeably slower at opening apps than any phone id had in the previous 12 months and thats not something id normally notice/s5 felt like a massive sidestep from samsung which is why i went back). The one m8 and oneplus one are the main phones im looking at getting because i cant wait until the end of October before getting a new phone when the Nexus X is released. Ive made several trips to my local phone shops here in the UK in the last couple of weeks and played around with a few different handsets. i'm interested to hear what peoples thoughts are that have had phone for months with battery life and how easy it is to protect from damage. The camera seems ok from playing around with it in phone stores. This is all just my opinion but i think ive learned the hard way that we shouldn't be taking youtube reviews as gospel. All the big reviewers bashed the m8s camera and said that you cant zoom in but the reality is that you cant do that on the s5 or the z2 either. The sensors are so small that any picture from a smartphone quickly becomes distorted (unless youve got the lumia 1020 but thats a completely different argument lol)

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I also wanted to see how the iphone 6 models were going to look. Honestly, they're nice, but nothing really wow worthy . The model I would want, the 6 plus, I maybe too big I think.

So I think I'm either going to pick up the M8 or stick with my 5S for another year. I'm tempted to get the M8 and try out android fully for a year or more just to try it out long term. I've used iOS for so long I'm sort of looking to change it up. I assume the M8 will hold up for at least another year and half or so?

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
So, I also wanted to see how the iphone 6 models were going to look. Honestly, they're nice, but nothing really wow worthy . The model I would want, the 6 plus, I maybe too big I think.

So I think I'm either going to pick up the M8 or stick with my 5S for another year. I'm tempted to get the M8 and try out android fully for a year or more just to try it out long term. I've used iOS for so long I'm sort of looking to change it up. I assume the M8 will hold up for at least another year and half or so?

Of course!

This is a fantastic phone. I deal with a ton of iPhones at work and I can say the M8 is so much nicer. A better-looking, more functional phone with a beautiful screen and a solid camera, regardless of the megapixels.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, first thing ok noticed with this phone is that the screen seems rather contrasty.like, colors seem saturated. Is this normal?

Other than that, phone is great. Live the design and speed

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

See, I was the exact opposite. I've always been an android person but I tried the iPhone 5 out when it came out because I hadn't ever had an iOS device and I wanted to try it. After 8 months I was done with it, and I had to continue using it because I was locked in contract. iOS just feels stale and old to me.

The m8 was my return to android and I must say it was a good choice. I think it will stand up to the test of time better than any of the other android flagships on the market currently, thanks to HTC's upgrade guarantee.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Not compared to amoled it's not

My M8 posted this

It just seemed like things like greens really piped. Maybe I'm used the more washed out displays. My last android phone was a nexus 5 and my tablet a nexus 7. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of problem with the screen. The box the phone came in was a bit scuffed, but everything inside was sealed and fine looking.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Saw it (M8) for $50 at BB (upgrade or new) today. Soooo tempted... Really holding on to my EVO 4G LTE. Waiting to see the Moto X and the new nexus. Mainly because of newer radios coming up in Sprint devices that are really going to take advantage of Carrier Aggregation, etc... To be patient I keep telling myself, "they all do the same thing, only a little faster, better..." over and over to talk myself out of upgrading :)