HTC Backup not working

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I tried the FB remove/re-add strategy - didn't work
I pulled the 4.4.4 update down and installed - didn't work

What DID finally work was changing my HTC Backup storage service from Google Drive to Dropbox

My problem was most likely a combination of the above factors, I suspect changing my gmail and FB passwords did not help matters. Anyway it's working now :) Hope this helps someone

deechte

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I tried the FB remove/re-add strategy - didn't work
I pulled the 4.4.4 update down and installed - didn't work

What DID finally work was changing my HTC Backup storage service from Google Drive to Dropbox

My problem was most likely a combination of the above factors, I suspect changing my gmail and FB passwords did not help matters. Anyway it's working now :) Hope this helps someone
Thanks! Changing to dropbox storage worked for me too. However, if I keep an eye on the progress counter during the backup, I see it incrementing from 1% to 62% and then it stops and it shows a succeeded backup. I'm wondering how complete it is with skipping the last 38%.

On a sidenote, HTC has dropped dropbox storage in favour of Google drive storage on their devices. I wonder how that reflects on this matter.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Changing to dropbox storage worked for me too. However, if I keep an eye on the progress counter during the backup, I see it incrementing from 1% to 62% and then it stops and it shows a succeeded backup. I'm wondering how complete it is with skipping the last 38%.

On a sidenote, HTC has dropped dropbox storage in favour of Google drive storage on their devices. I wonder how that reflects on this matter.

Hmm! Yes it was the same for me, I got to about 52% then *poof* backup succeeded. Seems to be a fair amount in the backup so hopefully it's ok... I might faff around with the Google Drive connection later and see if I can get that working, if indeed they are deprecating Dropbox. Thanks for the info :)

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I did some more research yesterday. Apparently a fix for some people has been to change their wifi connections to *not* be mobile hotspots. None of mine were so that trick didn't work for me.

Another thing people have noticed is that the back up to google drive hangs when backing up photos and the fix for that is to install the Google Camera app and take one photo with it (??). I tried that yesterday but no luck.

Back to the drawing board!

deechte

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I just installed a HTC service pack that came available to my M8 through Play Store. As always it only says "bug fixes" under release notes. HTC Backup app is now listed in the apps menu under the "all apps" tab, not under the "Downloaded" tab. I *think* it was on the "Downloaded" tab before. Can anyone verify that before installing the service pack, and note the version number? My HTC Backup app is now on 4.0.798020.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just installed a HTC service pack that came available to my M8 through Play Store. As always it only says "bug fixes" under release notes. HTC Backup app is now listed in the apps menu under the "all apps" tab, not under the "Downloaded" tab. I *think* it was on the "Downloaded" tab before. Can anyone verify that before installing the service pack, and note the version number? My HTC Backup app is now on 4.0.798020.
That is what mine is on now, and it's back to working great. Backing up every day.

deechte

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
That is what mine is on now, and it's back to working great. Backing up every day.
Has it been on this version, since you got your Sprint 4.4.4 update? Or did you get a HTC service pack today too? I'd like to establish if this service pack did an upgrade to HTC Backup or not.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
No this version was here before the service pack update, which I just downloaded and installed. I think this version came with the 4.4.4 update.......

deechte

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
A few days after the HTC Service Pack, I decided to try gdrive as storage again, and a backup was succesful. I don't know if it was the HTC Service Pack that changed something, or th succesful backup to dropbox that did it, or something else. But it works to google drive now. However, it similarly skips the 60%-100% in the counter.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A few days after the HTC Service Pack, I decided to try gdrive as storage again, and a backup was succesful. I don't know if it was the HTC Service Pack that changed something, or th succesful backup to dropbox that did it, or something else. But it works to google drive now. However, it similarly skips the 60%-100% in the counter.

Pretty sure it was the service pack that did it. It's almost always skipped the last 30%, at least since I've been using it back in the EVO 4G LTE days, and it still restored both of my phone completely. It even set my M8 up from the EVO back up including my favorite EVO wallpaper, which wasn't available on the M8....

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
My HTC Backup version is 4.0.7974548. Unfortunately I am on the M7 and can't see where to update/reinstall this app (it is set to update automatically), and according to play store I have the latest service pack too. I pulled down 4.4.4 a few days ago but that hasn't fixed it - I still can't back up to Google Drive and I have the same issue as deechte when backing up to dropbox where it joyfully omits the last ~40% of the backup.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Backup version is 4.0.7974548. Unfortunately I am on the M7 and can't see where to update/reinstall this app (it is set to update automatically), and according to play store I have the latest service pack too. I pulled down 4.4.4 a few days ago but that hasn't fixed it - I still can't back up to Google Drive and I have the same issue as deechte when backing up to dropbox where it joyfully omits the last ~40% of the backup.

I back up to Dorpbox and it's always skipped the last 40%, but it's always restored completely.....

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
When one backs up, do you see the file at dropbox or Google Drive?

I have the backup and it appears to be working... yet I can't see the back up file at Google Drive...

Lego

yassarikhan786

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Version 4.0.798020 and it's still not working for me. I haven't tried backing up to DropBox yet though.

EDIT: Worked with DropBox without a hitch.

EDIT2: Switched back to Google Drive and it's working.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks