09-19-2014 06:18 PM
54 123
tools
    Right I've had this phone for a couple of months and essentially I love it but for one major problem....that camera.

Now I know there are tricks settings etc to get it working well but I like to zoom on my photos and its abysmal when it comes to bright outdoor shots too there's far too much glare light coming in.

Add to this the camera lens issue I have now encountered (sent off for repair waiting for it to be returned sometime next week) and its a massive issue I don't know if I can live with, everything else about this phone is god damn brilliant, but that camera...i know htc are trying to do something outside the box but would a 8mp sensor be that much more difficult to fit?
    09-14-2014 01:08 PM
    Don't feel bad, I spent some time at the AT&T store debating on the G3, M8 and SG5 and went with the G3.
    Every phone has its issues and drawbacks.
    09-14-2014 01:43 PM
    Use magic eraser on lens. Fixes issue in one minute.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2014 02:55 PM
    Don't waste your time with toothpaste method.

09-14-2014 02:57 PM
    Yeah I know but its just taken the shine/love out of the phone knowing that this major drawback is there....
    09-14-2014 03:39 PM
    I was having a issue with crappy pictures but mine ended up being some sort of film they put on the lense. I used Mothers plastic polish and was amazed at the difference it made. I couldn't believe it.
    Griffin Walter likes this.
    09-14-2014 07:46 PM
    Sold mine for g3. Camera SO much nicer.

Posted via the Android Central App
    tardus likes this.
    09-14-2014 09:03 PM
    What's the OS like on the g3 was looking at that n the Oneplus one as alternatives
    09-15-2014 09:52 AM
    Right so my phone comes back tmrw see what state it's in its up on eBay anyway....got 3 days to decide what I'm doing...
    09-15-2014 05:38 PM
    Really!!! do you guys really decide to buy a PHONE on whether the camera takes professional quality pics ?
    Aglet, jimrx7, Preach2k and 1 others like this.
    09-15-2014 06:12 PM
    What Ice-man said. This thread really surprised me.

Perhaps you could buy a compact high-end point & shoot camera; if you are that fussy you should be shooting RAW anyway, and post processing with Adobe Lightroom for optimum results. I won't suggest a DSLR as they are far from portable, but maybe a Canon S110 or similar? Photos on a phone have so many limitations, good phone camera or not -- like listening to music on your phone, photography is never going to be a great experience. If it's just happy snaps you want, who cares, and use a great phone as a phone.
    09-15-2014 06:21 PM
    These sort of threads concern me, but first.. let me say to OP, sorry to read about the lens issue, thats not good.. now onto the reason im adding to this thread...

Like all modern smartphone cameras, the M8 has a wide-angle lens and at very best, a 2x zoom should be all you should ever zoom in at. Why on earth would someone want to zoom into their pictuires when theyve taken it with a wide angle lens, as any photographer worth their salt will tell you... why not walk upto your subject.. frame it correctly in the viewfinder then photograph it, why on earth would you take a picture of a subject 100 or 200 yards away then zoom in?. A true photographer Does not crop.. we frame our shots and use the full lens space.

2nd, videos on youtube.. why do reviewers take picture in the dark.. then say the camera is rubbish in low light... Turn the bloody light on or use your flash.. what the hell is wrong with people these days.

2 of the greatest cameras in existence, the Rolleiflex and Hasselblad both had flixed aperture lenses.. yet photographers walked upto their subjects framed them correctly or used a mounted flash.

As a photographer these kind of threads make me wince, In fact I think all videos about modern smartphone cameras should be banned, because it would seem that no body has a bloody clue how to take a photograph these days.

If you like to zoom.. get yourself a little Nikon or Samsung compact camera with an Optical zoom and dont spend less than $200/ £200.

Good luck
    09-15-2014 06:42 PM
    Really!!! do you guys really decide to buy a PHONE on whether the camera takes professional quality pics ?
    When other phones come close to the professional quality pictures, can you really blame someone?
    09-15-2014 08:29 PM
    I have been considering it for some time as well too.

The camera does bug me, but it does OK. I can definitely tell the difference between pictures taken with my M8 and my old iPhone.
    09-15-2014 08:37 PM
    Yes, the camera is of great importance to me. If all I wanted was a phone, why wouldn't I just use the Motorola Razr. If you are lurking or posting on these forums, you clearly seek more from these devices than simple "PHONE" capabilities. Everyone has their wants and needs; I think it is just fine that the OP wants a solid camera device. You have your list, others have theirs. Nobody is right or wrong.

(PS: I don't have an opinion on the M8. I've never owned one.)

09-15-2014 08:51 PM
    The camera is fine, you're just not very good at using it

My M8 posted this
    09-15-2014 08:55 PM
    If only the Lumia 1020 ran Android. It is a fantastic device. It is a great size and it has an even better camera. I had to switch due to the app ecosystem and some bugs with my enterprise gmail configuration. I'm now stuck on an S4 (solid device), but am seeking a new device that is no bigger than the S4 (physical and screen size) and has a better camera. I had hopes for the new Moto X, but it is too big. I really like the Z3c, but I have heard that the 20MP doesn't fair that well. Further, AT&T LTE bands haven't been confirmed to my knowledge. I'm leaning more towards an iPhone than I ever have before, but I really don't want to make that switch. Someone please make a good Android phone at or below the 5" screen size.

09-15-2014 08:58 PM
    When other phones come close to the professional quality pictures, can you really blame someone?
    I hope you're not serious.....

And OP if you're after the phone with the best camera, that would be the Lumia 1020 at the moment I believe.
    09-15-2014 09:07 PM
    Well, if you are looking for a new device that has a great camera, check out the new Panasonic CM1. There's a article on the home page about it.

If it had HTC speakers.. I would have someone over their get it for me and ship it here. I Still might..

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8
    09-15-2014 09:35 PM
    Yeah, Ultrapixels are a joke. That's one of the big reasons why I got rid of my One. There is sadly no way to correct the issues.

And yes, some of us do care about photo quality.
    09-15-2014 10:17 PM
    I hope you're not serious.....

And OP if you're after the phone with the best camera, that would be the Lumia 1020 at the moment I believe.
    My OnePlus One takes photos as good as a point and shoot. It may not be professional quality, but it looks damn good, and I don't need to carry a second device
    09-15-2014 10:52 PM
    My OnePlus One takes photos as good as a point and shoot. It may not be professional quality, but it looks damn good, and I don't need to carry a second device
    You said phones take photos close to professional quality, which is completely untrue. Phone cameras don't come close to professional quality equipment. Not even in the same stratosphere.

And no, a dedicated point and shoot takes better photos than any phone. Something relatively cheap like the Nikon Coolpix 9700 will outperform the G3 with ease. Drop a bit more money for something like the Sony RX100 and it's a blow out win.
    09-16-2014 12:28 AM
    Right I'm not expecting professional just expecting better and the lens issue plus the 4mp (sorry ultra pixel) just isn't doing it for me am getting my phone back today and like I say it's up on eBay at the min so I have time to decide but it just seems like the lens issue (which apparently isn't fixable at source and I've heard a few people say the fixes haven't worked either) has taken the gloss off the phone n I'd rather have something with a more reliable camera
    09-16-2014 02:22 AM
    Ultrapixel as well as the lumia 920 for example let in too much light to the point where everything is fuzzy. Great for low light but meh for everything else. I remember flashing to vanilla and wow, the camera was even worse.
    09-16-2014 02:29 AM
    Oooh New android...let's see how it goes they've repaired and not replaced the phone too...
    09-16-2014 06:19 AM
54 123