Why is my M8 experiencing high batt consumption on stanby and even on Extreme Power Saving?

donhr

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
M8 high batt consumption on stanby and even on Extreme Power Saving

I have no probs with M8 screen on time is excellent. However, I fully charged the phone and went to sleep, so i never touched it. In 7 hours it consumed 16% battery which is high. Gsam reports Android OS kernel as the highest sucker. . No other app consumes high levels.

I did same thing charged full and this time turned Extreme Power Saving ang 7 hours consumed 5%. This too is a little bit off from HTCs claims of 30 hours for 10% consumption.

Sync on. Mobile data on. Location off. While i went to sleep.

I have already installed also Greenify non rooted which disables most apps so it doesnt run in background. Gsam reports all other apps to not use much.

Any thoughts on this? Are these similar to yours or aremy stats high consumption???

Posted via Android Central App

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: M8 high batt consumption on stanby and even on Extreme Power Saving

You can try the Snapdragon app. I would also recommend a wakelock detector to see if that gives any feedback to what is causing this drain. If I remember correctly, it will show you what inside the OS is waking your device up

donhr

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Kit kat denies wake lock access now

Posted via Android Central App

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

I did same thing charged full and this time turned Extreme Power Saving ang 7 hours consumed 5%. This too is a little bit off from HTCs claims of 30 hours for 10% consumption.

Sync on. Mobile data on. Location off. While i went to sleep.

When and how often is your sync setting set to activate? Last night I checked mine before going to sleep (with it set to EPS), and it was at 50%. When I checked it again in 7 hours after I woke up it was at 48%. I have nothing set to sync, and I think that may account for the difference between your and my results. If your phone happened to sync during the 7 hours you tested it, and if you had a lot of data for it to sync (pictures, messages, etc) those could have consumed a lot of battery. (I'm also running ART, so that may be a factor too if you're using Dalvik).

Have you tried a system cache wipe to see if that helps at all? (Most people with higher then expected battery drain after an upgrade see improvement after wiping the system cache).

Edit: 9-17-14: Seems like the combination of normal mode and EPS (going back and forth depending on what I need to do) works fairly well. In settings -> power it reports my phone has been running on the battery for over 4 days so far. (Gsam doesn't seem to track power usage when EPS is active- which makes sense since that's a non-essential app that it would disable while in EPS). It seems like there is still enough battery left for a few more days of use depending on how I use the phone and how long I feel like holding off charging. Potentially might be able to get a week of use out of it without charging.

Last edited: