What is this weird sound when I shake the device?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Weird sound when shaking the device

Hey there

This may be stupid and I may very well be over-paranoid, but I noticed that when I shake the phone it makes this weird noise like something is perhaps loose inside? I play this game called Injustice: Gods Among Us and sometimes I'm required to swipe on the device really fast which makes the device shake a little.

I was wondering if that's normal?

I haven't noticed any functionality problems.

Thank you.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Weird sound when shaking the device

Well I had iPhones and I had the M7 for a couple of years and I never heard such noise, and they all have accelerometer of course. Maybe I am just being paranoid? Because I am just too cautious with my devices and whenever something is wrong (perhaps a tiny scratch) I start to freak out. I'll just say that as long as it is functioning properly I'll just try to forget about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I hear it too. I suspect it's the vibration mechanism.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Ah okay.. I went through other threads of different devices with the same problem and it seems to be common among unibody devices specifically, like HTC One and iPhone. First world problems can sometimes cause paranoia, I guess. :D

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I do not have this issue with my phone.

If anything seems off, you may want to talk to HTC about it.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Hey there

This may be stupid and I may very well be over-paranoid, but I noticed that when I shake the phone it makes this weird noise like something is perhaps loose inside? I play this game called Injustice: Gods Among Us and sometimes I'm required to swipe on the device really fast which makes the device shake a little.

I was wondering if that's normal?

Do you have a case on your phone (or one of the glass screen protectors)? If so, could it be that? The case on my phone has a kickstand, and if I shake my phone I can hear that making a bit of noise. If I hold in the kickstand and shake no noises are heard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This thread at XDA mentions the autofocus module of the camera, and that it's common but not necessarily a problem: Rattling / ticking noise from back of HTC On… | HTC One | XDA Forums

By the way, I hear it on my Nexus 5 as well, and I have had no problems with the camera.

If you search the web for "camera lens rattle," you'll find a lot of threads about this with various phones. Bottom line is that if it's working well, I wouldn't worry about it.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Thank you guys so much for your informative and helpful replies. I took a look at that XDA thread and I'm convinced it has something to do with the camera but as long as everything is working properly, I'll do as suggested and not worry.

@Android_Optimizer I do have a glass screen protector and a Spigen back case installed, but it does the same rattle without the case and it is coming from the backside of the device not the front. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed everything remains functional and well.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your reply. I finally figured out where the sound is coming from, and it is the power button. When I first got the phone I noticed it was very shaky and weak, and now I realize it is the one rattling when I shake the phone. That's no biggie I guess.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for your reply. I finally figured out where the sound is coming from, and it is the power button. When I first got the phone I noticed it was very shaky and weak, and now I realize it is the one rattling when I shake the phone. That's no biggie I guess.

If you get a case that covers the power button that should hold it in place better as well as muffle potential rattle. Some cases with parts that cover the power button block or reduce the IR blaster. Do you use the IR blaster?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I have a Slim Armor Spigen case and it supposedly holds the power button in place and covers the IR blaster (I don't use it) but it doesn't stop the rattling until I press the power button myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy