My M8 (and first Android device) arrives today!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thanks! That's really odd that individual's can't have their own text tones. That's one of those things I've become really accustomed to that I don't know if I can live without.

Is there not any way to add a custom text tone? For example, I have an R2D2 text tone I used on my iPhone. I changed it to .mp3, and added it to my ringtones folder with no problem. It works fine as a ringtone on the M8. But in my text tones it doesn't show up. I know these are nitpicky things, but things I really loved about iOS.

Try EvolveSMS. It does all those individual custom notifications. It's my default SMS now.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

I did notice something that gave me trouble. If I have a few notifications I can't type in my unlock pin without dismissing them first.
I have a sneaky niece that likes to grab my phone and take pics, and do whatever else she wants to do. She's only 7. Her eyes don't need to see everything I type so a pass code is a must. LOL
You can setup the combination of facial recognition and pass code. With the facial recognition active you shouldn't need to dismiss anything before it unlocks.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

You can setup the combination of facial recognition and pass code. With the facial recognition active you shouldn't need to dismiss anything before it unlocks.

Is the facial recognition pretty quick? I noticed it when I was setting up the passcode, but thought it was just a gimmick that wouldn't work all that well.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

Is the facial recognition pretty quick? I noticed it when I was setting up the passcode, but thought it was just a gimmick that wouldn't work all that well.
Yep it works pretty quick (almost instantaneous). If you're in a pitch black room it will not work well, and you can click the X in the right corner of the selfie type picture window that displays with it to enter the pass code unlocking. There has been times where I've been ready to click the X and enter my pass code, but the facial recognition recognizes me and unlocks before I get to the X. You can also have it capture your face in different lighting conditions to improve its recognition.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yep it works pretty quick (almost instantaneous). If you're in a pitch black room it will not work well, and you can click the X in the right corner of the selfie type picture window that displays with it to enter the pass code unlocking. There has been times where I've been ready to click the X and enter my pass code, but the facial recognition recognizes me and unlocks before I get to the X. You can also have it capture your face in different lighting conditions to improve its recognition.

I just tried it. It's actually as fast as a passcode because I always forget to hit enter. With my last phone I put in the passcode and it automatically unlocked. With the M8 I have to hit enter. Haha, the first few times I used it I thought it was broken because I didn't see the enter key.

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
re:

I just tried it. It's actually as fast as a passcode because I always forget to hit enter. With my last phone I put in the passcode and it automatically unlocked. With the M8 I have to hit enter. Haha, the first few times I used it I thought it was broken because I didn't see the enter key.

So far what do you like better android or ios?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

So far what do you like better android or ios?
I'm still a little torn, and to be honest I'm not sure if the things that bother me on Android have more to do with Sense or Android. The overall amount of choices is a bit overwhelming coming from iOS to be honest. Android feels more like an operating system, but I'm still not sure if that's necessarily better for mobile. iOS is very compartmentalized and everything has its place where I know exactly where it's gonna be. I'm sure a lot of this is still because it's so new, and I haven't selected defaults on a lot of things, (browser, photos, etc. I've just been clicking "just once" instead of "always"). Part of that is me deciding what I want to use as default. And I think when I was setting the phone up originally I think I should've been a little bit more careful with permissions. It seems like something is always updating or syncing. I don't really need backups in 4 different places. It's gonna take some time for me to figure that out. It feels like when I first used Windows computers (My first computer was an iMac in 99). Windows was just overwhelming compared to Mac OS.
Aesthetically I do prefer iOS's core apps more, but I know all that is customizable in Android so I just have to find what works for me. Sorry if I just rambled.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Just a quick update. I've become a lot more comfortable with Android overall. There are still a few things I like better on iOS, but I'm pretty happy with the M8.

I do miss the built in flashlight app in control center from iOS. What app do you guys use as your flashlight app? I''ve downloaded a few, but delete em because they all ask for so many permissions. I don't understand why a simple app needs to access my contacts, location data, and lots of other things just to use the flash. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

It's in the app drawer "Flashlight"

Has three degrees of brightness.

I've looked everywhere for it. I looked in the folders of apps that came bundled in the phone (Tools, Media, Google, AT&T) and don't see a flashlight in the app drawer anywhere. I even went in the settings>apps and swiped to the "all" section. Scrolled down through all of them and didn't see it in there either. I saw another thread on this site I found an HTC flashlight apk, but haven't looked into how to add it yet.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
re:

I've looked everywhere for it. I looked in the folders of apps that came bundled in the phone (Tools, Media, Google, AT&T) and don't see a flashlight in the app drawer anywhere. I even went in the settings>apps and swiped to the "all" section. Scrolled down through all of them and didn't see it in there either. I saw another thread on this site I found an HTC flashlight apk, but haven't looked into how to add it yet.

Wut....? Mine came with the app installed. Strange yours didn't.

Well if you want to install the flashlight apk, you'll have to allow unrecognised sources or something. It'll pop up when you try to install it, so just tick it and it'll install.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Wut....? Mine came with the app installed. Strange yours didn't.

Well if you want to install the flashlight apk, you'll have to allow unrecognised sources or something. It'll pop up when you try to install it, so just tick it and it'll install.

I went to install it and lookout scanned it and labeled it riskware. Is that a big deal?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I consider lookout itself as malware, but that's just me.

If it's the official HTC Flashlight app, then it's safe.
Haha! Lookout is one of those AT&T "gifts" I think. They installed quite a few things that I don't want. I'd never used Lookout before. Wasn't sure if it was something reputable or not.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

Mine was hiding in the "tools" folder

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-21-19-59-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-21-19-59-10.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads