My M8 (and first Android device) arrives today!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
So I'm pretty stoked because my M8 is on truck and out for delivery. It'll be my first Android device after using iOS, Symbian, and WinMo. Pretty excited, and any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
re:

So I'm pretty stoked because my M8 is on truck and out for delivery. It'll be my first Android device after using iOS, Symbian, and WinMo. Pretty excited, and any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Enjoy using the best hardware and the best software on a mobile device.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
re:

Congratulations! The M8 is a great phone. I think you'll enjoy it immensely. As for tips, just use it. It's easy to figure out.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Woo hoo! Just went out to walk my dog, and my M8 was sitting on my front porch. Thanks for ringing the doorbell FedEx.

vincent thomas1

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

Awesome phone. Get a good case and screen protector. Protect your camera lenses as well. Your phone will stay beautiful

Posted via the Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Congrats!

I personally use third-party keyboard (SwiftKey) and third-party launcher (Nova) because I didn't like the originals. But still, this is a great phone! Enjoy it!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

Woo hoo! Just went out to walk my dog, and my M8 was sitting on my front porch. Thanks for ringing the doorbell FedEx.

The one thing I want to tell you, it can take up to a week for the battery to get in the swing of things.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

One thing I've noticed. Contact management is a pain. It's pretty disorganized and I'm having a little trouble figuring out where some of these contacts came from. LOL. I really just want my phone book itself to show up. Is there a way to turn off FB and Twitter contacts? I haven't found a setting for that yet.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
re:

One thing I've noticed. Contact management is a pain. It's pretty disorganized and I'm having a little trouble figuring out where some of these contacts came from. LOL. I really just want my phone book itself to show up. Is there a way to turn off FB and Twitter contacts? I haven't found a setting for that yet.

Oh, your best method would be to go to your Google account (ie, your gmail account) and set up all your contacts through there.

Yes you can turn off FB and Twitter contacts. Go to your People app, hit the 3 button menu at the top then click on Open Account Settings and click on FB, then the three dot menu and remove. Then do the same for Twitter.

If you have your contacts on Exchange or your sim card or something, I suggest you move them to your Google account. That's the easiest way to sync contacts to Android. Again in your people app, 3 dot menu button then Manage Contacts. You can choose to copy contacts (copy them from FB to Google) or import contacts from your sim card. There's an option to remove duplicates too, so use that if there are doubles.

Hope that helps. And keep asking questions, we'll help you out.

Last edited:

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

If you have your contacts on Exchange or your sim card or something, I suggest you move them to your Google account. That's the easiest way to sync contacts to Android.

I completely disagree. If you have an Exchange account, you're probably also using Outlook, most likely in a corporate setting. Having your contacts in Exchange allows you to sync contacts between Outlook and your phone. To sync Google contacts between Outlook and your phone, you will need a paid Google Apps account.

But the rest of your advice is good. In my experience, it's a lot easier to manage contacts from one source. So pool your contacts with a single service, and disallow other services from syncing contacts. If necessary, private contacts can be pooled in Google while business contacts remain in Exchange. But then you have to be careful to select the proper service when adding new contacts from the phone.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

If you go into your phone app, tap the three dots in the top right corner, and then select edit tabs you can unselect some of the contact pages you don't like or use.

Go into settings -> wifi -> three dots -> advanced wifi and put a check in wi-fi optimization. Uncheck auto-switch to mobile networks. I recommend you go in to Accounts and Sync in settings and uncheck apps you don't want syncing. Enable battery saver for mode in location settings. Go into app manager -> all and stop all apps you don't plan to use. If possible disable those apps. Turn down your screen brightness to a level that is still bright enough for your tastes, but will not waste battery. Go into settings -> data usage and set certain apps as restricted from using mobile data (so that they only use wifi). Activate developer mode and try ART runtime, and if it works well it will save you battery and open apps faster. After you've setup an Android account go into the Google Play Store -> My Apps and check for updates. You may want to set some of them to auto-update. (Play Store is one of the apps you'll probably want to restrict from using mobile data). Download the HTC Guide by HTC Corporation from the Google Play Store as it will help you to learn many of the HTC One m8's functions.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
re:

I completely disagree. If you have an Exchange account, you're probably also using Outlook, most likely in a corporate setting. Having your contacts in Exchange allows you to sync contacts between Outlook and your phone. To sync Google contacts between Outlook and your phone, you will need a paid Google Apps account.

Actually yeah that's a good point. Don't know why I said that as I keep Exchange and Google contacts separate. Thanks for pointing that out.

lamy11685

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

I just got the m8 well. This was after using an iPhone 5 for the last 3 years. I love this beautiful piece of technology. The phone is awesome and Android is really surprising me! I've had android in the past but it really wasn't as good a it is today! Enjoy your new toy!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

If you go into your phone app, tap the three dots in the top right corner, and then select edit tabs you can unselect some of the contact pages you don't like or use.

Go into settings -> wifi -> three dots -> advanced wifi and put a check in wi-fi optimization. Uncheck auto-switch to mobile networks. I recommend you go in to Accounts and Sync in settings and uncheck apps you don't want syncing. Enable battery saver for mode in location settings. Go into app manager -> all and stop all apps you don't plan to use. If possible disable those apps. Turn down your screen brightness to a level that is still bright enough for your tastes, but will not waste battery. Go into settings -> data usage and set certain apps as restricted from using mobile data (so that they only use wifi). Activate developer mode and try ART runtime, and if it works well it will save you battery and open apps faster. After you've setup an Android account go into the Google Play Store -> My Apps and check for updates. You may want to set some of them to auto-update. (Play Store is one of the apps you'll probably want to restrict from using mobile data).

I've read in other threads people mention activating developer mode and ART runtime. Where in the setting do I find that?

Also, what's the best method of getting my photos off iPhoto on my MacBook Pro on to my M8? I've got them all backed up to OneDrive as well if that will help. I installed the OneDrive app, but haven't seen an option anywhere to download them to the device.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

I've read in other threads people mention activating developer mode and ART runtime. Where in the setting do I find that?

Also, what's the best method of getting my photos off iPhoto on my MacBook Pro on to my M8? I've got them all backed up to OneDrive as well if that will help. I installed the OneDrive app, but haven't seen an option anywhere to download them to the device.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

To activate developer mode go into settings -> about -> Software information -> More -> tap Build number seven times. After that go into the new Developer options area, click select runtime, and change it from Dalvik to ART.

I've never owned an Iphone, but from what I've heard you should be able to transfer files over with the HTC Sync or HTC transfer apps/programs.

lamy11685

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

All I did with my photos was copy the files from the iPhone and dropped them into the pictures folder on the Android. Simple.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

To activate developer mode go into settings -> about -> Software information -> More -> tap Build number seven times. After that go into the new Developer options area, click select runtime, and change it from Dalvik to ART.

I've never owned an Iphone, but from what I've heard you should be able to transfer files over with the HTC Sync or HTC transfer apps/programs.

Thanks! I finally got the Sync Manager to work. For hours every time I launched it it crashed.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

I just got the m8 well. This was after using an iPhone 5 for the last 3 years. I love this beautiful piece of technology. The phone is awesome and Android is really surprising me! I've had android in the past but it really wasn't as good a it is today! Enjoy your new toy!

Welcome back to Android!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

All I did with my photos was copy the files from the iPhone and dropped them into the pictures folder on the Android. Simple.

I ended up selling my iPhone a few weeks ago b/c I thought I'd get more for it before Apple announced the 6/6 +. All I've been using for the past few weeks is an old Sony dumbphone I've had laying around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois