My M8 (and first Android device) arrives today!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

And keep asking questions, we'll help you out.

I don't think Android natively does this, but is there a way to turn notification badges on for email and other apps to let you know you have an email/message? The messages app does this, but for other apps I use there doesn't seem to be anything. Just status bar notifications.

Also is there not a way to change the tones for text messages for different people in the stock messaging app? I see where in the contacts app the ringtone can be changed for a specific person, but not the text tone. To be honest I can't seem to find how to change the text tone at all.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I personally had issues with ART particularly with games and more specifically FIFA14. The game wouldn't work at all. I think it may be a little early for this to be used as my fear is many apps just aren't compatible yet. I wouldn't recommend he do this. He could really get annoyed with android and we don't want to lose him! : )

Another note here, turn on your double tap for screen ON located under settings; Display & Gestures; Motion Launch gestures. Sure this is personal preference but my philosophy is the less times I have to use the buttons the longer they last. And yes these buttons do go bad!

Also I have included a link that enables the triple finger touch to turn screen off. Read the link here:
How to Lock the Screen Using a Three-Finger Tap on Your HTC One M8 ? HTC One

Make sure to have unknown sources checked before installing the APK. It is located here- settings; security; scroll down and you will see it.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Also is there not a way to change the tones for text messages for different people in the stock messaging app? I see where in the contacts app the ringtone can be changed for a specific person, but not the text tone. To be honest I can't seem to find how to change the text tone at all.

Changing the notification tone is located in the messaging app under settings. Go to the messaging app and tap the three dot, you will see it there. I do not believe android lets you customize individuals notification tones but an app in the market possibly could.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Changing the notification tone is located in the messaging app under settings. Go to the messaging app and tap the three dot, you will see it there. I do not believe android lets you customize individuals notification tones but an app in the market possibly could.

Thanks! That's really odd that individual's can't have their own text tones. That's one of those things I've become really accustomed to that I don't know if I can live without.

Is there not any way to add a custom text tone? For example, I have an R2D2 text tone I used on my iPhone. I changed it to .mp3, and added it to my ringtones folder with no problem. It works fine as a ringtone on the M8. But in my text tones it doesn't show up. I know these are nitpicky things, but things I really loved about iOS.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I personally had issues with ART particularly with games and more specifically FIFA14. The game wouldn't work at all. I think it may be a little early for this to be used as my fear is many apps just aren't compatible yet. I wouldn't recommend he do this. He could really get annoyed with android and we don't want to lose him! : )

Another note here, turn on your double tap for screen ON located under settings; Display & Gestures; Motion Launch gestures. Sure this is personal preference but my philosophy is the less times I have to use the buttons the longer they last. And yes these buttons do go bad!

Also I have included a link that enables the triple finger touch to turn screen off. Read the link here:
How to Lock the Screen Using a Three-Finger Tap on Your HTC One M8 � HTC One

Make sure to have unknown sources checked before installing the APK. It is located here- settings; security; scroll down and you will see it.
I'll definitely check out that link. I haven't downloaded any games yet, just trying to get my social media, news sources, and general settings set up before I go crazy with games.

I have run into a couple issues that are making me think this may not be the best phone for me, but I'm not giving up on finding work arounds. Thanks for the three-finger tip. I'm gonna give that a try.

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
re:

I ended up selling my iPhone a few weeks ago b/c I thought I'd get more for it before Apple announced the 6/6 +. All I've been using for the past few weeks is an old Sony dumbphone I've had laying around.
In this day and age that is a difficult thing to do. I could not see myself using a dumb phone for more than a couple of days.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thanks! That's really odd that individual's can't have their own text tones. That's one of those things I've become really accustomed to that I don't know if I can live without.

Is there not any way to add a custom text tone? For example, I have an R2D2 text tone I used on my iPhone. I changed it to .mp3, and added it to my ringtones folder with no problem. It works fine as a ringtone on the M8. But in my text tones it doesn't show up. I know these are nitpicky things, but things I really loved about iOS.

There are many many apps in the play store that let you download tones that let you set them as you notification. Zedge is a popular one for example.

Also there are other messaging apps that will let you set individual tones just the htc messaging app does not have the capability. GO SMS and Handcent (in the market) allows this. I've used both in the past and work well.

Now for you to be able to use your mp3 as a notification tone you can do as I do and download a file manager such as Astro (in the market). You will then navigate through that app, find the ringtone folder, copy, then find the notification folder and paste it.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I have run into a couple issues that are making me think this may not be the best phone for me, but I'm not giving up on finding work arounds. Thanks for the three-finger tip. I'm gonna give that a try.

Trust us, your issues can and WILL be resolved. Android is such a full rich featured platform. Don't get discouraged. If it's not in the phone it's in the market. All you issues are UI based and android has apps that can accommodate your needs.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Another app you'll want and that I have I found to work the best for screen wake when a notification comes through is:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...roid.notificationswidget&hl=en&token=Gstvv_lW

This was my biggest complaint with this phone that there was no setting that would wake the screen when I received a notification. It took some time for me to find an app to work the way I wanted it to but I finally came across this app and it works great!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Another app you'll want and that I have I found to work the best for screen wake when a notification comes through is:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...roid.notificationswidget&hl=en&token=M0EGrhq_

This was my biggest complaint with this phone that there was no setting that would wake the screen when I received a notification. It took some time for me to find an app to work the way I wanted it to but I finally came across this app and it works great!
Thanks! That was another thing driving me crazy coming from iOS. I downloaded it and set it up. Haven't got a notification to see how well it works, but I really missed the screen lighting up when I had incoming notifications when my screen was locked.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

There are many many apps in the play store that let you download tones that let you set them as you notification. Zedge is a popular one for example.

Also there are other messaging apps that will let you set individual tones just the htc messaging app does not have the capability. GO SMS and Handcent (in the market) allows this. I've used both in the past and work well.

Now for you to be able to use your mp3 as a notification tone you can do as I do and download a file manager such as Astro (in the market). You will then navigate through that app, find the ringtone folder, copy, then find the notification folder and paste it.

Thanks! I found an app called Airdroid in the play store. Then go to airdroid.com in your computer's browser. It connects over wi-fi and works like a virtual file manager. It works really well. I added the mp3 to notifications that way. Worked like a charm. I assumed other messaging apps would allow me to do that, but I wanted to use the stock apps as much as possible. I'm just weird that way. LOL

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thanks! I found an app called Airdroid in the play store. Then go to airdroid.com in your computer's browser. It connects over wi-fi and works like a virtual file manager. It works really well. I added the mp3 to notifications that way. Worked like a charm. I assumed other messaging apps would allow me to do that, but I wanted to use the stock apps as much as possible. I'm just weird that way. LOL

You could of probably used BT to transfer your files as well (if you computer is BT). Not sure if it would work as this app, probably not.

Agree, I like to try and stay as stock as possible. Touchwhiz (Samsung UI) offered me the most out of the box. Very customizable UI, loved it. Kinda miss it but I got use to Sense.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thanks! That was another thing driving me crazy coming from iOS. I downloaded it and set it up. Haven't got a notification to see how well it works, but I really missed the screen lighting up when I had incoming notifications when my screen was locked.

Send yourself a text, turn you screen off really quick. I did this many times in testing it out and to get it how I wanted.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Send yourself a text, turn you screen off really quick. I did this many times in testing it out and to get it how I wanted.
I've never tried to text myself. LOL. Turns out I didn't need to. I got a Tapatalk notification from your reply. Works pretty well. Thanks!!

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I actually just purchased the full version of that app. 2 bucks and opens up some more features. It's good to support the dev's from time to time. They put a lot of work into these. Another reason to enjoy android.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I actually just purchased the full version of that app. 2 bucks and opens up some more features. It's good to support the dev's from time to time. They put a lot of work into these. Another reason to enjoy android.

I just realized that there were more features to unlock by paying. I'll def get the full version if I decide to keep it. I did notice something that gave me trouble. If I have a few notifications I can't type in my unlock pin without dismissing them first. I'll play around in the settings of the app. I'm sure there's something I can change so that doesn't happen anymore.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I just realized that there were more features to unlock by paying. I'll def get the full version if I decide to keep it. I did notice something that gave me trouble. If I have a few notifications I can't type in my unlock pin without dismissing them first. I'll play around in the settings of the app. I'm sure there's something I can change so that doesn't happen anymore.

Gotcha. I only use the swipe to unlock the screen. I haven't played around with a pass code.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Gotcha. I only use the swipe to unlock the screen. I haven't played around with a pass code.

I have a sneaky niece that likes to grab my phone and take pics, and do whatever else she wants to do. She's only 7. Her eyes don't need to see everything I type so a pass code is a must. LOL

I hate to say it, but I really miss the Touch ID on my 5S. I'm finding workarounds/getting used to other differences, but Touch ID worked every time I ever used it without fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy